May

Caramel Apple Pie

Caramel Apple Pie

by Amber on May 10, 2014

Okay, so it’s not really the “season” for caramel apple pie, but I’m never one to let the season stop me when I’ve got a craving. There’s still plenty of great apples popping up at my local market, and who’s with me: there’s never a bad time for pie.

I’ll be honest and tell you that this pie came to me months and months and months ago, back when James and I were in Orlando for Food Blog Forum at Walt Disney World. You may not know it, but at Epcot, there’s a German pavilion, and in that pavilion is a new Werther’s Caramel shop. Everything you could ever imagine in caramel flavor, from apples to popcorn, shortbread to fudge, if it can be made with caramel, you’ll find it in the Karamell-Küche.

While walking around Epcot noshing on caramel corn that had been made before my very eyes, I thought of the caramel apples I had also considered. Call me weird if you want to, but I’ve never been excited by a caramel apple. Something about the stickiness potential turns me off. Caramel apple pie, however, is another story. That’s something I can get behind.

Each bite of this pie is like that first bite of a caramel apple – without ever getting to the middle of the plain apple.

About a week ago, James and I got to attend Pie Party NYC. What is Pie Party, you ask? It’s an excuse to eat pie, for a start. But it’s also a great way to meet other bloggers in the NYC area, and chat with some really cool brands; Jarlsberg USA, Kerrygold, WÜSTHOF knives, Anolon gourmet cookware, OXO, Dub Pies, and the Harvard Common Press.

The party was held in the swanky GE Monogram Center, one of the most beautiful event spaces I’ve been to in New York City. And the appliances! They’re enough to make a girl swoon. You can see and play with them all in the showroom. (When they’re not covered in delicious pies, that is.)

The party is free for those attending, except that you must bring one pie per ticket holder. Since both James and I wanted to get our pie on, that meant two pies. I knew immediately that I’d be taking Nanny’s Kahlua Pie. And finally, finally, my dream of Caramel Apple Pie could come true.

It did not disappoint. This is the apple pie of apple pies. Perfectly spiced, and not overloaded with sugar. I used Pink Lady apples, which happen to be my favorite for eating and baking. They’re just the right amount of tart to pair well with caramel. Adding a drizzle of caramel on top of the pie just makes every bite perfection.

You’re gonna love this caramel apple pie.

Katrina @ WVS May 10, 2014 at 6:42 PM

This pie is a total dream boat!! Gah! So yummy!

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. May 11, 2014 at 4:49 PM

SO TRUE. I have no desire to EVER eat a caramel apple, but do that thang in pie? I’m all over it! (Good thing I have a whole bag of pastry flour in the kitchen now, eh??)

Passport Name Change May 12, 2014 at 3:11 AM

Great Picture. it is really interesting, I hope everybody lick this Post.

Rachel Cooks May 12, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Pie party!!! Heck yes. And this pie looks absolutely phenomenal.

Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody) May 15, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Just letting you know I’ve featured your Caramel Apple Pie recipe on my blog. Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe!

autumn May 16, 2014 at 5:30 PM

It was nice to see you and the little guy at the Pie Party! I had my eye on your Kahlua pie for sure. I have some Kahlua that I’m trying to use up, so it might be in my future.

Jackie Gordon Singing Chef May 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I love caramel apples even though they are hard to eat and I rarely ever get to have one. I actually LOVE them dipped in chocolate (now, wondering how that would work with a caramel apple pie?).

Thanks so much for coming and for bringing the CUTEST BOY in the room. He is even more adorable in person and so well behaved. Your baby was pretty cute too! LOL!

I did NOT get to have this pie. I made need to have a receiving line at the event in the future where I sit, fork in hand, to greet every one and their pies!!!

And thanks for the Kahlua Pie recipe too. Making it next month!

BIG HUGS!!!!

shelly (cookies and cups) May 22, 2014 at 10:14 AM

A PIE PARTY? Heck yeah! I am going to put this one in my rotation…because the only thing better than an Apple Pie would be a Caramel Apple pie…

Rachel May 26, 2014 at 4:24 PM

This looks amazing and reminds me of the salted caramel apple pie at Four & Twenty Blackbirds in Brooklyn. Have you been there? AMAZING.

Nice participating with you at the NYC Blogger Bake Sale a few weeks ago, too!