You know how some Saturdays you wake up with a deep longing for pastry filled with fruit and cheese? No.. me either. *Cough*
Here in the northeast, the weather has been chronically stupid. And I mean stoooooopid. If it’s not snowing, it’s freezing rain, or the roads are so riddled with potholes from removing the remnants of stupid weather that you get four flat tires in three weeks and are terrified to even leave your driveway.
Or your driveway is so icy that you look out the window and realize the car that’s had all those flat tires is actually about six feet further back on the driveway than where you parked it, and the only thing stopping it from destroying your mailbox is the mountain of snow you spent the morning cursing at. Yes, those things have all happened to us in the last month.
So leaving my house for delectable pastries? No thanks. The baby and me are just fine in these 3-day old PJs, thanks.
What’s a girl to do with her Saturday morning, then? With a tube of Trader Joe’s crescent dough, strawberry summer fruit jam, and cream cheese, we’re sorted in about 20 minutes.
I’m going to give you the jam recipe too, but please wait until these fruits are in season to make it. I find out-of-season forced produce just doesn’t have nearly as much flavor.
Bake these quick Strawberry Cream Cheese Pastries up on a cold morning (we’re still having plenty of those) and pretend you’re sitting in some posh little coffee shop, reading the paper and chatting with other patrons. In your pajamas, of course.
Quick Strawberry Cream Cheese Pastries
makes 8 pastries
- 1 tube of crescent dough (I prefer Trader Joe’s)
- 8 tablespoons Strawberry Summer Fruit Jam (recipe below)
- 8 tablespoons cream cheese
- sparkling or granulated sugar for topping
- Preheat oven according to crescent dough directions
- Roll out the tube of dough and separate each triangle.
- Spoon one tablespoon of jam and one tablespoon of cream cheese into the center of each triangle.
- Fold each triangle of dough so that it is wrapped around the cream cheese and jam. Make sure there aren’t any openings.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle each pastry with sparkling or granulated sugar.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until pastry is golden brown.
- Serve immediately. Best eaten warm.
Strawberry Summer Fruit Jam
makes about 4 1/2 pint jars
- 6 fresh organic peaches, washed and sliced (no need to peel)
- 2 pints fresh organic strawberries
- 1 pint organic blackberries
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Mexican vanilla
- 1 package liquid pectin
- Wash all produce, then slice peaches and strawberries.
- Place peaches, strawberries and blackberries in a French oven or stockpot.
- Add sugar, water, lemon juice and Mexican vanilla on top of fruit.
- Stir everything together and cook on low heat for about half an hour, bringing to a boil.
- Skim off any froth, then add package of liquid pectin and stir. Turn heat to low and stir often, allowing jam to thicken.
- Place in jars with 1/2″ of headspace. You may refrigerate for up to 2 weeks, or process in a hot water canning bath. The jars need to process for 10 minutes from boiling.