Jan

Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes for Jamie

Post image for Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes for Jamie

by Amber on January 14, 2014

I feel sorry for winter babies. Being one myself, I know the envy that is birthday pool parties, slip and slides and barbecue parties, or, well, pretty much any outdoor party you can think of. When February rolled around every year, all I wanted was a pool party with an ice cream sundae bar like my sister.

So I feel for Little E, my soon-to-be niece, over there in Ohio. Baby Girl, I know you will wish for birthday parties with swimwear and grilled meats. But I promise that your mama and I will do everything we can to make your winter birthday super sunshiny and happy every year.

In case you haven’t heard, my dearest friend in all the land (to quote Kristan) is about to have a baby girl. Our little ones will be just about 3 months apart, and I already have secret machinations to betrothe them to one another as soon as possible so that Jamie and I can be family f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Sounds like a solid plan, right?

Back to cupcakes. The thing about the internet is that your bestest friends can sometimes live hundreds of miles from you. As much as I’d like to take my little tush to Ohio and throw Jamie the rockin’-est baby shower (Not that she’d actually want one – stubborn girl), it’s really not an option when I have my own newborn and the weather has made traveling incredibly stupid lately.

So we’re throwing Jamie our own little baby shower right here on the interwebnets. I made the most delicious of cupcakes for mah girl, because we all know Jamie loves a good cupcake. You’ve seen her chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes, right? And her Rolo cupcakes are not to be missed.

I wanted something light and bright, with a sweet little surprise inside, just like Jamie and her baby girl. These Strawberry Lemon cupcakes are just the ticket. The cake is just the right amount of lemon-y and sweet.

Tucked inside each one is a fresh strawberry. And each one is topped with a light strawberry frosting made with yummy preserves for an extra sweet finish. These are exactly the sort of cupcakes you’d want to see on the dessert table of a baby girl’s baby shower. Something summery to help you forget that it’s silly cold outside.

Jamie, you know I couldn’t live without you. You make me laugh every day, and it’s the best thing in the world to have a friend that just gets me. I can’t wait for our littles to be the best of friends. James and I couldn’t be happier for you and Eric. Baby E is the luckiest little girl in the world. We love her so much already!

Amber from Bluebonnets & Brownies | Lemon Strawberry Cupcakes
Allison from Some the Wiser | Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
Megan from Stetted | Strawberry Jalapeno Palmiers
Shelly from Cookies & Cups | Bacon Cheddar Scones
Emily from Jelly Toast | Meyer Lemon Scones
Kristan from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen | Samoa Layer Cake

Amanda January 14, 2014 at 8:06 AM

SO sweet!! Love it. This is a beautiful recipe and such a sweet testament to your bestie! Thanks so much for doing all this!

Amber January 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Thanks, Amanda. I’m so glad we could all surprise Jamie today.

Robyn | Add a Pinch January 14, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Such a sweet way to celebrate Jamie’s little one’s upcoming arrival. Love these cupcakes. They sound perfect!

Amber January 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Robyn, thanks for a great recipe to base them off of. The cake is perfect, just like you said. It definitely lends itself perfectly to lemon too.

TidyMom January 14, 2014 at 8:36 AM

How perfect that you two are having babies so close together!! the cupcakes are perfect. How fun would it be if we could all really get together today!!

Alas, the virtual shower is the perfect solution to celebrate!!!

Amber January 14, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Cheryl, it really is awesome. It was a complete fluke, but I’m so happy that it’s happening!

Aimee Wimbush-Bourque January 14, 2014 at 8:44 AM

I suspected you two might be plotting to set up your babies! What a sweet union that would be. ;)

Adorable cupcakes. A sweet celebration for a very special occasion. <3

Aimee Wimbush-Bourque January 14, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Also, that tiny cake stand is the cutest!!

Amber January 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM

I can’t say for sure if Jamie’s on board, but I’m certainly going to be singing Baby E’s praises to Evan as much as possible. ;) And that cake stand was a gift from Casey. Isn’t she awesome?

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 14, 2014 at 8:51 AM

These are adorable… And, I love the fresh strawberries! What a sweet surprise.

As a late fall baby, I can kind of relate to the winter baby woes… Of course, I really love pumpkins, so it has kinda worked out for me.

Amber January 14, 2014 at 10:38 AM

At least as a late fall baby, if you lived down south, you could still have that pool party. Ava has.

JulieD January 14, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I love strawberries and lemon together!! these are so cute!! Thanks for organizing this for Jamie! :)

Amber January 14, 2014 at 10:39 AM

And thanks for being part of it, Julie! Yay for cupcakes.

Ruthy @ Omeletta January 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM

What a perfectly cute way to celebrate Jamie today! My birthday is mid-March, so I get sort of the crap-shoot of seasons every year. Some years it’s warm, some it’s cold; I try to tell myself it’s the best of both worlds., but I usually wind up knee deep in slushy snow!

Amber January 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Ruthy, my husband is mid-March too. I say you and he are both old enough to hold your birthday parties in South Florida every year, thus ensuring sunshine and bright skies :)

Erin | The Law Student's Wife January 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Such sweet cupcakes for a sweet post! I’m sure your babies will be BFFs (and can celebrate their bdays together at an indoor water park. Way cooler than a BBQ!)

Amber January 14, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Now there’s an idea!

Elizabeth January 14, 2014 at 9:56 AM

These look so tasty! Once i’m over this whole GF-trial nonsense, I’ll have to make them since we both know how much I adore your recipes. And congrats to Jamie!!!

PS – the grass always seems to be greener on the other side. As a summer birthday girl, I was always envious of the ones that got to have parties at school and wear the birthday crown – people were always on vacation during the summer (but I did have a pool party every year with grilled hot dogs ;) ).

Amber January 14, 2014 at 11:05 AM

E, I didn’t know you were going GF! If you don’t want to wait, I’m pretty sure this recipe would lend itself well to King Arthur Flour’s gluten free all purpose flour blend.

I still think you got the better end of the stick. Who the hell wants to be in *school* on their birthday?!

Elizabeth January 14, 2014 at 11:11 AM

It’s just a trial!! I always have headaches (I swear this one has been going on for at least a month), so I’m going to see if it helps. I’m hoping it does, but I’m also hoping it doesn’t because this girl loves her carbs. and baking. and eating.

shelly (cookies and cups) January 14, 2014 at 10:42 AM

What a sweet sweet post! And these cupcakes look and sound divine!

Amber January 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Thanks, Shelly. I’m dreaming about your scones this morning. Toast is not cutting it.

katie January 14, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Awe these cupcakes sound divine and perfect for summer in winter ;) I have an April party and its always still a little too cold for pool parties and slip and slides. A great excuse to have a “first day of summer” party! :)

Amber January 14, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Great idea, Katie! Thanks for your sweet words. Now, what sort of cupcake should we make for baby boy??

Glory/ Glorious Treats January 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Such a sweet post and these cupcakes look amazing!!

Amber January 14, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Thanks, Glory! I loved yours too.

Emily January 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I always struggle to put my feelings into words, but you do it so beautifully, Amber! Thank you so much for hosting this party for Jamie, and it would have been super fun to have you come to Ohio a throw a bash (maybe for her first birthday?!) These cupcakes look so perfect, and I can’t get over how sweet the little strawberry in the middle is. Baby ‘E’ is one lucky little girl to have such an awesome aunt!!

Amber January 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I think it’s a date. Though let’s all truck to Florida for a mega first birthday party instead. Thank you for your sweet words, Emily. I loved your post, I don’t know what you’re talking about, struggle!

Shaina January 14, 2014 at 3:04 PM

These look so good. I love the whole strawberry in the center! Here’s to arranged marriages!

Amber January 14, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Shaina, I was worried those strawberries weren’t going to work out, but they do. They SO do. They cook a little bit, but not enough to disappear. They’re the perfect juicy pop in the center of each cupcake. And yes! Hooray for arranged marriages. ;)

Katrina @ WVS January 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM

These are so pretty! And totally sound delicious!

Amber January 15, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Thanks, Katrina!

Amber January 15, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Thanks, Katrina! You’re always so nice to stop by.

stephchows January 14, 2014 at 6:21 PM

LOVE, what a sweet post!!! Good friends all around! And I do feel for you winter babies, I’m an August baby the only issue is EVERYONE was always on vacation for my birthday parties!! So maybe winter isn’t too bad after all :)

Amber January 15, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Hah, Steph! I still think summer babies get the longer end of this particular stick. ;)

Jamie | My Baking Addiction January 14, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I know we’ve talked via the phone and text several times today. However, I wanted to express my gratitude to you one more time. You are amazing and I couldn’t ask for a better friend. Baby E is definitely lucky to have one hell of an aunt and a super adorable future husband! :) Love ya bunches!!!!

Amber January 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM

I’m so glad we were able to surprise you and celebrate you. You deserve it, babe.

Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch January 15, 2014 at 1:16 AM

I need one of these right about now! Sunshine, warm weather and a pool! I was lucky enough to be a summer baby but 2 out of 3 of our kids are winter babies one before and one after Christmas! Poor kidlits!

Amber January 15, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Serena, thanks for your sweet comment! You get what I was trying to do here – lots of sunshine for winter babies in cupcake form. You should make them for your winter babies. :)

Tasha @thatssoyummy January 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I love the combining of lemon and strawberry. These look like they could just melt in my mouth! YUMMY!

Amber January 15, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Thanks, Tasha!

Mary Kay January 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM

These look so adorable and best of luck to Jamie! So lucky you gals are having your first babies together! I think these might be perfect for Miss Lyla’s birthday! Not until April 1st but she is already planning :) She will probably refer to them as “lemonade” and strawberry cupcakes.

Luisa D'Lima January 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Hi! I am from England and I don’t think we have shortening here. Do you know of any substitute I could use? The cakes look so gorgeous. Thanks.

Luisa D'Lima January 19, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Forgot to say, it was my birthday yesterday, and i was always ( and still am!) jealous of summer birthdays! These cakes would definitely give me a taste of summer for my dark January birthday! Think I will be making these next year!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes January 20, 2014 at 4:36 PM

There’s just something about strawberry and lemon together….makes me think of warmer weather! I could sure use some of that right about now :) I had birthday envy when it came to summer babies as well. My birthday was just a couple of weeks ago – I always had sledding parties growing up….they get old after a while LOL