May

A Surprise for Megan: Chile and Sausage Oven Frittata

Post image for A Surprise for Megan: Chile and Sausage Oven Frittata

by Amber on May 28, 2013

One of the hardest things about living in New Jersey is the homesickness for Texas. I miss wide open spaces, and tacos whenever I want (not made by me!) and bluebonnets, obviously. But even more so, I miss my people. My tribe. My family, of course.

But also, there are a few Texans that I know are my people, even though we’ve never managed to live in the state at the same time. Megan is one of those people. We’ve roomed together at conferences, and she’s one of the superstars that helped me bake 300 cupcakes.

Megan, Steff, Kathryn.. these are Austinites that instill in me the drive to get back to Texas just as much as being with my family does, because these girls are my people.

Let me tell you – Megan is the kind of mom I hope to be. Her little guy, R, is one of the coolest kids I know. And his freckles.. I die. I seriously die.

Megan happens to be expecting her second son. A little boy that will be only a few months older than our own baby. James and I hope that when we finally get back to Texas, these kidlets will be fast friends, just like we have been with Megan and her hubby. We love them dearly, and can’t wait to meet their new little guy.

Image borrowed from Kathryn’s Instagram Feed

This past weekend, Steff and Kathryn and a host of other Austin Food Bloggers surprised Megan in person with a baby shower. We all decided it’d be epically fun to surprise Megan a second time, with a virtual shower given by all her friends that can’t hang in Texas and eat kolaches of a mornin’.

Because new babies mean exhaustion and not wanting to cook, Steff and Kathryn came up with the idea of a “casserole” shower. On each of the blogs below, you’ll find a delicious recipe that can be made ahead and frozen, plus some fresh salads to go alongside those reheated casseroles.

Please, join me in congratulating Megan and her family on new Baby Stetted, due in a few weeks. And make this Chile and Sausage Frittata – for yourself, for a friend with a new baby, or for some Tuesday night in the future when you know the last thing you’ll want to do is cook. It’s seriously good, and seriously easy.

Visit all Megan’s Virtual Shower Guests!

Kathryn at Austin Gastronomist
Chicken Enchiladas from Steff at The Kitchen Trials
Creamy Chicken Enchiladas from Jen at My Kitchen Addiction
A week of (make ahead) spring salads in jars from Aimee at Simple Bites
Soft Pretzel Bread Pudding from Christina at Dessert for Two
Rachelle from Blinded by the Bite

Aimee @ Simple Bites May 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Yay! Surprise Megan!!

I love that IG photo of her shower – I missed that!

This sounds like my kind of breakfast and I love that it can be frozen. =)

Amber June 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Me too, Aimee – this one’s definitely going on the pre-delivery freezer stock up list.

Kathryn May 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM

This looks seriously delicious, Amber. I know Megan would love it, too, because it’s almost exactly like a frittata she made for her own shower! (She was just expecting Steff and me, but of course she made enough food for several people. ) :) I’m so glad we could do a virtual shower, too. And I can’t wait for you to be back home in Texas soon!!!!

Amber June 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM

How funny, Kathryn – I didn’t know she’d made a frittata! It’ll be great to hang out more once we move home. *hugs*

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM

This looks so awesome, Amber… I can’t wait to try the recipe. Anything that I can make ahead of time is just perfect these days. The flavors sound so yummy. Love it!

Amber June 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I really loved how Tex-Mex they were, Jen. If I had it to do over, I think I’d add some garlic and chili powder to the cumin, because green chiles from the can aren’t very spicy. Kick it up a notch, you know?

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Oh, yes… That sounds perfect! I am all for kicking things up a notch these days!

Dalila G. May 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM

WooHoo!!
Congratulations Megan!!

I really like this recipe because it’s so easy and you can freeze it.
Nothing beats foods that are easy to make for later in the week.
I plan on checking out the recipes for the chicken enchiladas too.
Thanks!

Amber June 2, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Thanks for stopping by, Dalila. It really is a great recipe. My husband took the leftovers – single wedges individually packed in ziplocs, all week to work. A quick pop in the microwave, and he had a protein packed breakfast every day.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions May 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM

What a sweet blog post and virtual baby shower for Megan!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions May 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Oh and I don’t think I have said it yet, but congratulations on your little one on the way!

Amber June 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Thanks on both accounts, Heather! So sweet of you to stop by. :)

Kate | Food Babbles May 29, 2013 at 7:43 AM

What a wonderful recipe and a wonderful surprise for Megan! I love that everyone pitched in and created not only a real event, but a virtual one as well. So sweet!!

Amber June 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Thanks, Kate! I know, I thought it was really cool too. Megan is very loved.

Megan May 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM

So, obviously I read all of these on Tuesday but coming around again to leave comments and I’m getting sniffly AGAIN. I can’t wait for our kids to grow up together. <3

Amber June 2, 2013 at 6:11 PM

It was absolutely my goal to make you cry! Only kidding, but you know how much our friendship means to me. Can’t wait for Baby Myers to appear, and really can’t wait to hold him. I think we’re coming home at Christmas, so we’ll have to swap babies to hold. ;)