Jan

Bishop’s Cake

Bishop's Cake Recipe

by Amber on January 17, 2013

Things have been a little crazy over here in Casa de B&B. Sufficed to say, I’m finding there are not enough hours in most days. But, some things are important enough that you make time for them. Like cake. And friends.

I’d like to tell you about our dear friends, Chris and Karen. They have a lovely little blog, The Peche, and it is because of our blogs that we met. But somewhere along the way, our friendship became less about bloggy things and more about, well, just really enjoying each others’ company.

The year before last, Chris and Karen and their three littles moved away from New Jersey. I was sad. Really sad. And then we got to see them on our drive back from Texas in March, and we had this fantastic dinner at a restaurant in Atlanta called Cake & Ale.

I ate a superb entree that night, but if I’m honest, the only things I remember about that meal are realizing how much I missed Chris and Karen being local, and the salt and pepper cookie I had for dessert.

It pleases me to tell you that Chris, Karen, and three of the sweetest, craziest, smartest, adorable kids we know are now living within 10 minutes of our front door. Last Sunday, we stopped by to return their cake carrier and the two little Fisher Price horse visitors left at our house by mistake.

You should know, I’m from the South. We don’t return plates, casserole dishes, or indeed, cake carriers, empty. So I made Chris and Karen and the littles a cake. A Southern cake, found in a New Orleans compilation cookbook, circa 1959.

Decadent and eggy, with a crispy crust and a sweet glaze, Bishop’s Cake is definitely my new favorite pound cake. The traditional recipe calls for vanilla extract in both the cake and the glaze, but I chose this opportunity to try out my new “Buttery Sweet Dough” extract emulsion from King Arthur Flour.

You know that smell that hits you when you step into a bakery? Sweet notes of citrus and vanilla, and everything there is to love about baking? That’s what you get in the Buttery Sweet Dough emulsion. I kind of want to put it in everything, even my coffee. But if you’re not in to ordering special ingredients, just use vanilla extract in both.

So have a piece of cake. In honor of friends who just get you, and don’t mind when you gift them with a cake that already has a slice cut – because luckily, they get you.

Cookbook Queen January 17, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I love the pools of glaze hiding in all the cake ridges. So yes, save me those parts, thanks.

Amber January 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Me too, Kristan. Sugar high like whoa, but SO worth it!

Chris @ The Peche January 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM

So glad to have you to as friends and as close neighbors. Thank you for the kind words.

And thank you for this cake. It was spectacular.

Amber January 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Really glad you guys liked it, Chris. Dinner, soon, yes?

Chris @ The Peche January 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. January 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM

This post made me tear up a little (I’m just a softie deep down). There’s really nothing better than friends that GET you.

Amber January 17, 2013 at 12:30 PM

What! Not big bad Casey! (Actually, I’m really kind of proud I made you tear up, I did my very best to convey that sentiment in the post. Given that you fit in the same category of friend, someone who just ‘gets’ me, I hope that you know every word I said about Chris and Karen applies to you too.

JenniferA January 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM

You and Chris and Karen almost make me wish I lived in New Jersey.

Amber January 22, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Haha, Jen. You can always come visit.

shelly (cookies and cups) January 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Oh this cake..and Buttery Sweet Dough Emulsion is my favorite. In the world.

Amber January 22, 2013 at 7:38 PM

It’s pretty awesome, right?

DessertForTwo January 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I wish more people knew to return containers with treats in them :)

Amber January 22, 2013 at 7:38 PM

It’s all about the home training!

Karly January 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I really need to find me a Southerner to loan all of my dishes to. ;)

I also think I need to get some of that sweet dough emulsion. I’ve never experimented with anything other than the standard vanilla extract and now I feel like a foodie failure.

Amber January 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Karly, you’re not a foodie failure at all! But get on the KAF train, girl. In a hurry!

Kate | Food Babbles January 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM

So great to have Chris and Karen back in NJ, where they should be! I certainly don’t know them the way you so but I adore them none the less and I’m so happy they’re here again. This cake is wonderful and I definitely want to try that Butter Sweet Dough extract. I always look at it and wonder what I could use it in and I’ve been so intrigued by it. Now I have the perfect thing to give it a whirl!

Amber January 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Kate, that stuff would be good in pretty much any baked good, even paired with vanilla too. You should definitely pick some up!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions January 18, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Good friends are essential! Oh and I love that this cake came from an old 1950′s cookbook. Those ‘old school’ recipes are always great and they always have the best names!

Amber January 22, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Totally agree, Heather. My favorite recipes are always the ones I find in the oldest cookbooks.

Kathryn January 18, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Oh this cake sounds incredible, that smell is probably the best smell in the world!

Amber January 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Kathryn, I wish I could ship some to you, but I think customs might take issue. You’ll have to get some the next time you come over.

leslie January 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Ohhhhh .a.m.a.z.i.n.g.
And I love Lorann Emulsions! They make everything a lil’ bit better!

Amber January 22, 2013 at 7:51 PM

This was my first experience with them, Leslie, but I’m hooked!

Mary Ann January 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Looks delicious. Love your blog and glad that you and your friends are now closer.

Amber January 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Mary Ann, thanks so much for such a sweet comment!

McKinze January 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Thanks for this recipe! I am a big fan of pound cakes in bundt pans…and speaking of bundt pans, this one is beautiful! Is it the rose-shaped one? I haven’t actually seen one in a store but hope one will find its way to me someday. Where’d you get yours? Thanks again for the recipe, and generally a great blog I often look to for inspiration!

Amber January 22, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Hey McKinze, thanks so much for your sweet comment. This is indeed the Rose shaped Bundt pan. I got it on one of the Woot sites, I think Home.Woot – they do 1 special every day, unless they’re having a “woot off” where they sell things until they run out and then move on to another product. I think I picked it up for $15, which is a great deal for a NordicWare pan!

Vera Zecevic – Cupcakes Garden January 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM

This look lovely, I like all that hiding glaze …so yummy

Aimee January 29, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Love everything about this post, from the story, to the cake, to the pan. I want this cake! Yum! I also love the southern tradition of returning plates and casserole dishes with food in them. I think up north we worry we won’t return them clean enough…filling them with more food takes care of that, and sends some love back to boot. What could be better? :)

Tracy February 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM

What a sweet post; it almost brought me to tears! So glad that Chris & Karen are close by to you again – they are definitely good people. :-) And I agree with the sentiment of never returning a pan without something in it for the return trip. :-)