Jan

Homemade Grenadine Syrup

Post image for Homemade Grenadine Syrup

by Amber on January 8, 2013

When I was a kid, we spent a lot of time in clubs and bars that my dad’s band played in. Some of my favorite memories of that time, other than getting to hear my dad play great music, of course – was when my mom would let us order a Shirley Temple. We felt so grown up! Sprite and grenadine, how continental!

Homemade grenadine syrup is deceptive. The depth of flavors that are produced when pomegranate juice is cooked down are sweet, earthy, and bright. And way better than any “grenadine” whose primary ingredient is high fructose corn syrup, not juice. (I’m lookin’ at you, Rose’s.)

Most people think grenadine is a cherry flavored syrup, but the truth is that the origin of the name comes from the French word for pomegranate. And I’m here to tell you that pomegranate syrup far surpasses cherry in this instance.

Homemade grenadine couldn’t be easier to make. Just make sure to pick up a resealable bottle before you start. I got mine at crate & barrel, but you can use any resealable jar in a pinch.

Some folks get crazy and lemon juice or star anise, but I like to let the pomegranate shine. Add the syrup to sparkling water, lemon-lime soda for a Shirley Temple, or make it that twist I talked about in my Classic St. Germain Cocktail post.

No matter what you do, just make it!

Emily @Random Recycling January 8, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I can’t wait to try this. Love the picture too!

Amber January 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Emily, thanks so much for stopping by. Let me know how you like it!

Cookbook Queen January 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I seriously can’t BELIEVE how easy this is to make!! Such an awesome thing to keep in the fridge :)

Amber January 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Right, Kristan? I think JD will be mightily impressed if Momma lets him have a “sparkling grenadine” after school. He’s sophisticated like that.

MaryB January 9, 2013 at 1:03 AM

This looks wonderful. How long will it keep (assuming it is supposed to be refrigerated)? Thanks!

Amber January 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Hi Mary,
Yes, it’s definitely supposed to be refrigerated. I’ve read some research that says you can preserve it indefinitely by adding a shot of vodka in the last few minutes of cooking down, but since I wanted my syrup to be kid friendly, I didn’t do that. (I wasn’t sure if all the alcohol would burn off.) We’ve had ours in the fridge in that bottle for a month now, and I just used it yesterday in some coke zero – it’s still fine. The sugar acts as a natural preservative too. I wouldn’t be able to tell you a true expiry date though, because I have no idea!

MaryB January 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Thanks! I will keep mine kid friendly, too, but nice to know it keeps a good while.

Kathryn January 9, 2013 at 4:56 AM

Total and utter genius!

Amber January 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Haha, those French folks ARE pretty smart. :)

DessertForTwo January 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Yum! I would love a homemade grenadine for my cocktails! Love your snow photo :)

Amber January 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Thanks, Tina! Gotta put that silly snow to some good use, ‘cus I hate walking in it. I’m clumsy and I always end up on my backside. But at least it’s pretty for photo taking.

shelly (cookies and cups) January 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Who knew it was so easy?!

Amber January 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Right?! This is why it’s handy to have a husband that is obsessed with soda syrups.

Amanda January 9, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I did not know any of that!!! You so smart. Beautiful pics to Amber!

Amber January 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Aww, thanks, Amanda. Truth is, the French word for pomegranate is “grenade”, which totally made me think of French soldiers lobbing fiery pomegranates during a battle, which in turn made me giggle like an 8 year old boy. :)

Barbara | Creative Culinary January 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I’ve been making this for awhile…and I don’t have to be concerned about kid friendly so I do include the shot of vodka and I’ve got some I’ve had for a year that I’m still using.

I love the intense color too; it makes a definite difference in the look of a cocktail and it’s a good one. I also make my own maraschino cherries for the same reason. Bright red orbs and syrups are passe…and artificial!

Allison January 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I’ve never thought about making this myself. Awesome idea!

Shaina January 10, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Divine.

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. January 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I cannot WAIT to do this! We used to order Shirley Temples at the country club and go sip them by the sunken fireplace… VERY Mad Men chic!

Tracy January 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I had no idea this was so easy. Why have I been buying this at the store? I can’t wait to start making it at home!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel January 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I could nooooot be trusted around this homemade grenadine .. I embarrassingly drink the stuff like water and put it in nearly ev.er.y.thing! Looks awesome!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking January 16, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I grew up being familiar with pomegranate molasses, don’t think I ever had anything grenadine. Sounds so easy to make, might have to give it a try.