Jan

Classic St. Germain Cocktail with a Twist

Classic St. Germain Cocktail

by Amber on January 1, 2013

Happy New Year’s Day to you! How about a little hair of the dog that bit ya?

If I’m completely honest with you, I planned to post this drink recipe before the turn of the year, but bacon rolls took precedence. I’m sure you understand. Bacon always comes first.

We picked up a bottle of St. Germain before our cookie swap party in December mainly because I fell in love with the beautiful bottle and the recipe book that came with it. Turns out it was a fortunate decision, because St. Germain has become my new favorite thing ever.

Sweet and slightly floral, the golden liqueur adds a tongue-tapping zing to many cocktails. (You can check out the St. Germain website for even more recipes.

This particular cocktail, the Classic, is simple enough: St. Germain, Prosecco, and club soda. But the Brit and I added our own signature style by stirring in a little homemade grenadine too. Grenadine gets a bad wrap – that sickly sweet, high fructose corn syrup filled star of Shirley Temples.

Real grenadine, made by your own hands, is a thing of majesty that adds just the right fruity notes to so many cocktails. I’ll give you the recipe in my next post. For now, go mix yourself a Classic St. Germain, and toast 2013 one last time before we head to work tomorrow.

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. January 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM

That grenadine recipe can’t come soon enough! I’ve been meaning to try making mine forever, so now I’ll have no excuse.

Kathryn January 3, 2013 at 5:12 AM

Such a lovely drink – I’ve had St Germain cocktails when out but I really need to invest in a bottle so we can make them at home! And I love the idea of homemade grenadine too.

Tracy January 5, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Sounds lovely – can’t wait to see the grenadine recipe, too…I’ll be waiting for that one!

Sarah Sweney January 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I LOVE this! St. Germaine is my go-to Spring/Summer drink. In the winter I add a bit of cassis too! Thank you for this! Brilliant!

Aimee @ Simple Bites January 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Hello gorgeous pictures! Love this recipe. In fact, I’m tempted to begin the holidays all over again so I can keep drinking.

Boy, that sounds bad, but it’s been….a Monday.;)

Erin @ Texanerin Baking January 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Awesome pictures! I’m so jealous that you had both snow and sunshine at the same time. I believe we’ve had one such day this winter… but enough complaining. I know it’s really petty but no sunshine weeks at a time and constant “Oh no! A tornado’s coming!” skies really get to me.

I’ve never heard of St. Germain before. I’ve got to give it a try! :)

Dewey Bishop February 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM

When I was 11 or so, my family took ski trips in Germany and stayed in a WWII-era hotel where they served syrupy Shirley Temples heaping with maraschino cherries. I have fond memories of slurping those down while playing Pac Man, Space Invaders and pinball in the tiny arcade. When I kept running into grenadine in various cocktail recipes, those tooth-achingly sweet drinks came to mind. Eventually I learned that real grenadine is actually made with pomegranate juice and only bears the color red in common with the commercial “grenadine” sold in the U.S. And, it is ridiculously easy to make.