Dec

Peppermint Tea Shortbread Cookies dipped in White Chocolate

Post image for Peppermint Tea Shortbread Cookies dipped in White Chocolate

by Amber on December 12, 2012

Last year I did The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap and had a great time, and got some great cookies. This year, I was more excited than ever to participate because this year, participation meant money for the charity Cookies for Kids’ Cancer.

The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2012

Right about the time I needed to decide what cookies to make for my three assignees, my friend Maegan came to stay with us for Thanksgiving. Maegan loves peppermint tea, so I always make sure to have some on hand (along with Diet Coke, in the can, specifically) to make her feel at home.

After a very late night of talking and Prosecco drinking, I stumbled into the kitchen Thanksgiving weekend to make coffee. As I flitted around the kitchen island, I kept smelling the strong scent of peppermint. “WHERE is that coming from?!”, I kept asking myself.

Suddenly I spotted the box of peppermint tea under a notebook. It had been left open the night before. (What can I say – we’re classy. Prosecco followed by midnight hot tea!) The peppermint tea smelled strong, but also delightful, and I immediately thought of the Earl Grey Tea Cookies and Christmas Tea Shortbread I’ve made in the past.

In addition to peppermint tea flavored, I wanted these cookies to be extra special. What better way to do that than to dip each darling cookie in a wash of white chocolate, and then cover them in Christmassy sprinkles?

I especially love these sprinkles, because they have an addition of “Grinch” green. I think it sets off the other sprinkles that much better! (They’re from Target.)

My Cookie Swap matches are Ami from Naive Cook Cooks, Kathy from The Cheap Gourmet and Kimberly from Eat the Evidence, some of whom were also given me as a match.

Kimberly and Kathy both sent me cookies – delicious, quickly devoured cookies. My husband was especially partial to Kimberly’s World Domination Cookies, while Kathy’s Potato Chip Cookies made my day! The third person to send me cookies was Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camilla. She sent along a Boozy salted fennel pollen shortbread that James is still talking about. If you love licorice, you’ll LOVE those cookies.

Back to Peppermint Tea Shortbread cookies dipped in White Chocolate and sprinkles – I think you’ll love the mild undertone of peppermint through this buttery, brown sugar shortbread. Use any cookie cutter shape you desire. Candy canes or angels would be just as darling. Happy Cookie swapping!

Aimee @ Simple Bites December 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM

We both have peppermint cookies posted today. How much do you wanna dip mine in chocolate? I love the festive look of yours!

Amber December 12, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I want to dip those in chocolate a WHOLE lot. They’re gorgeous! Thanks for your sweet comment, friend!

Living The Sweet Life December 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM

These look out of this world! I have have have to try them, and when it comes to cookies – its all in the name of research ;) Mmm.. great choice for the cookie swap!

Allison December 12, 2012 at 11:05 AM

The kids just caught a glimpse of these as I was reading your post and now they are begging PRETTY PLEASE can we make them today. Looks like it’s going to have to happen! Lovely photos by the way.

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray December 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Yum!! I love a good shortbread for dipping in tea at Christmas time. :)

Kathryn December 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I really like the idea of the peppermint tea flavoured shortbread especially when it’s covered in that creamy white chocolate. Such lovely festive cookies!

Lynda Jane December 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Can’t believe I was thinking of baking some of these at the weekend! After spotting these on your blog I definitely need to bake them- they look great and of course yummy.

x

Kathy @ The Cheap Gourmet December 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Thank you for sending these delightful cookies. I loved the subtle hint of peppermint tea. It paired nicely with the white chocolate. I dunked mine in Earl Grey tea for a nice mid-afternoon snack. I planned on dunking in hot cocoa for a before-bed treat and discovered someone in my house had eaten the rest. LOL! It’s always a good sign when cookies disappear. Happy holidays!

thelittleloaf December 13, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I love adding tea to baked goods – it adds such a gorgeous flavour – but I’ve never tried with peppermint. I can imagine it tastes absolutely delicious – these could be great dipped in dark chocolate too!

marla December 16, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Love this recipe! Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

Tracy January 5, 2013 at 9:16 PM

What a gorgeous and unique cookie. Definitely will be trying these!