Nov

Neapolitan Oreo Brownies

Post image for Neapolitan Oreo Brownies

by Amber on November 1, 2012

Y’all, I’m stress eating like whoa. It’s been a rough few days without water or power, but we have it better than most. A tree fell, but missed EVERYTHING. We thought we were prepared with a generator and gas. But now we’re on day 4, and everywhere is out of gas, including our generator. At least we got water back last night. Sadly, the latest news from our mayor is that it’ll be another 7-10 days until we have power again. Bye-bye, freezer full of food.

I made these Neapolitan Oreo Brownies a while back, at least a month ago. I hadn’t had a chance to post them until now. Now seems like an appropriate time, because if I had a tray of these, I’d be sharing them with my neighbors and we’d all be drowning our sorrows in chocolate and Oreos.

There’s nothing overly complicated about these. I enjoyed them a lot, but some of James’s coworkers didn’t like the texture contrast between crunchy cookie and chewy brownie. I’ll let you be the judge.

Please keep the Northeast in your thoughts and prayers. If you can, donate to the Red Cross to help the people in this area. It really is dire here.

amanda @ fake ginger November 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I can’t even believe anyone said they didn’t like these! Crazy people!

I really hope you guys get power back sooner rather than later!

Amber November 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Thanks, sweet Amanda. We did get power back sooner than expected, thank Zeus!

Annie November 1, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Oh god those look good!! I love Neapolitan Oreos – I made cupcakes with them a few weeks ago :) Hope you are doing alright post-storm – I’ve been thinking about you guys.

Amber November 9, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Thanks, Annie! I’ll have to check those cupcakes out – I am SO behind in my blog reading. We’re doing okay. A little PTSD, but we have it so much better than most. Just have to keep remembering that and being grateful for it.

Urvashee November 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Hang in there Amber. Power companies always say its longer than it really takes. I feel for you, I had to throw out our whole freezer and had a big berry mess puddle at the bottom of it. I’d totally be munching on these if I had some too!

Amber November 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Oh man, I had a berry mess at the bottom of our freezer after Irene. NO FUN!

Kathryn November 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM

How can you not like the contrast between the fudgy brownie and the crunchy cookie? James needs new co-workers!

On a more serious note, I can’t even imagine what it would be like to be without power for that long. I hope you get power back sooner than expected.

Amber November 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I seriously thought they were crazy myself, but then he got all upset that I thought they were crazy. Said if I didn’t want criticism, I shouldn’t ask. Hmph.

We’re doing okay now. Power was back much sooner than expected, and I didn’t have to throw out my freezer full of food after all. Gifts, those.

elisa November 3, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Hi Amber,

I’m new to your site, but I love it already.

I live in Northern NJ and it’s nuts up here. But on a positive note, friends of mine were expected to get power not until Wed and they’re up and running as of yesterday. I think the power companies are being forced to say that it will take longer than it might just to get us off their backs. Hang in, we Jerseyians are tough cookies!!

BTW-these look yummy. I made neopolitan rice krispie treats that were amazing!!

Amber November 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Elisa, thanks so much for stopping by! We did indeed get power back sooner, but the rest of our town took much much longer. We’re on day 11, and still most of my town doesn’t have power. Feeling blessed that we got it back.

Thanks for your sweet comment – you’ll love these brownies. Your rice krispie treats sound great!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking November 4, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Oh no. Your poor freezer! So sorry. :(

And I can get the issue with the texture. I don’t agree with it but I get it (as a person with her own texture issues!) And wow, they seem to be making every kind of possible type of Oreo now. Do you remember when they came out the white chocolate covered Oreos for Christmas forever ago? That was pretty amazing.

Amber November 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Erin, we actually lucked out! We got power back late on Saturday, and our generator and gas supply held out until then. We’re certainly lucky. I might eat a brownie to celebrate! Oh, and those White chocolate covered mint Oreos are my absolute favorite. Though, I’m hearing reports that now Target has Candy Cane Oreos!

Aimee November 5, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I’m wondering how your freezer food fared. I’d be totally stress eating too! In fact, I think I DID, just thinking about you all. Be well. xox

Amber November 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM

We managed to keep it going until we got power back, amazingly. I appreciate your sympathetic stress eating, Aimee! <3

Allison November 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I’ve been thinking about all the storm victims constantly! I’m glad you are okay and I hope things only continue to look up. You’ll be in my thoughts.

I can’t imagine not liking a cookie inside a brownie!

Amber November 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Things are going okay now, Allison. We’re getting another storm tomorrow, so keep us in your thoughts!

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray November 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I’m glad that your power has finally come back–I might make some of your brownies to celebrate by association. ;) In all seriousness, so glad it wasn’t quite as bad for you as it was last year.

Amber November 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Me too, Tara, me too. Though I’m a little worried about this new storm we’re getting tomorrow. Kind of over this extreme weather stuff! I personally think these brownies are perfectly celebratory. Maybe I’ll make another batch!

Tracy November 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

These look amazing; how can you not love the crunchy/chewy combo?! And I’m SO glad your power came back on sooner than they said it would be. Still, NJ and NYC are in my thoughts & prayers; I know a lot of rebuilding is yet to come. With neighbors like you though I’m sure it makes it a little easier to get through it!

Amber November 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM

So sweet of you, Tracy. I thought his coworkers were nuts too! I thought they’d be all over these, and they just were NOT. But I certainly ate MY fair share and loved them!

shelly (cookies and cups) November 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I need to bake a bunch of stuff and have it ready and waiting for when we lose power for a month…i mean, it seems like the thing to do these days.
I need to find those Oreos..now!

Amber November 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Girl, I’m worried it’s going to be a rough winter. It definitely seems like the thing to do. Also, these Oreos are at Target in the normal cookie area (they’re not seasonal). That is, if your Target has power. Mine does not. *sigh*