Oct

Hurricane Sandy and FamilyFun Magazine

Post image for Hurricane Sandy and FamilyFun Magazine

by Amber on October 29, 2012

Hey y’all – I’m popping in quickly just to say a few things. Once Sandy has come and gone, we’ll be back to our regularly scheduled recipes and silly musings.

If you’ve read B&B for any length of time, you might know that we live in Central New Jersey.. right in the path of this massive storm. The husband and I are much more prepared for Sandy than we were for Irene. We have a generator now, and tons of water, and we’ve managed to make sure BOTH the cars will be safe this time.

The biggest worry for us is the forest of trees that surround our house. I’m praying to any deity that will listen for them all to stay upright this time. We only just finished the repairs from Irene! I’m also praying that folks heed Newark’s mayor, Cory Booker’s tweet; “Please embrace caution and common sense today. Safety is the primary concern. Conditions will significantly deteriorate throughout the day.”

James and I did most of our preparation in the days before the weekend, knowing that neither of us deals with stressed-out crowds very well. We did make one last field trip yesterday, and it was mostly for vanity: FamilyFun Magazine’s November issue hit the stands recently, and yours truly is, for the very first time, in print.

FamilyFun Magazine contacted me to run a version of my Movie Theatre Cookies recipe, which they have redubbed “Blockbuster Cookies”.

I cannot tell a lie. I totally bought my mom a copy of the magazine. It’s a heady thing, seeing your name in print, in a nationally distributed magazine. I may have done a little happy dance, right there in the middle of Barnes and Noble.

So okay, everybody – if you’re in Sandy’s path, stay safe and dry. Remember that everything beyond your family members and pets is just stuff.

And hey, when we all resurface, if you happen to like FamilyFun Magazine, it’d be totally awesome if you picked up a copy. We don’t even have kids, and I read the magazine from cover to cover. There’s some great recipes in there! (Ha – and I mean the ones that aren’t mine!)

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. October 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM

It IS an awesome feeling to see your name in print – so proud of you!

Kathryn October 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Congratulations again on the feature, so cool seeing your name there!!

And I do hope that you guys come through Sandy unscathed, stay safe.

Aimee @ ShugarySweets October 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Stay safe Amber! And congrats on the magazine feature…so very cool!!!

Aimee October 29, 2012 at 4:58 PM

So awesome!! Congrats. =)

Annie @ Annie's Noms October 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Congrats :)

Hope you’re staying safe in Sandy.

Kate | Food Babbles October 30, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Congratulations!! That is SO awesome, Amber! I have a subscription and can’t wait to take a peek at your recipe. Hope Hurricane Sandy was better to you than Irene. Xoxo

Gigi Cuccaro October 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Stay safe! Congratulations on being published in a national publication. I’m having my mom’s sausage dressing recipe published in the 2012 Bed Bath and Beyond Holiday Guide. What a great tribute to honor my mom. I only wished she would have been around to see our favorite Thanksgiving recipe published. You can puck up a free copy at the store in the next two weeks. Have a great day. Lots of prayers headed your way!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction October 30, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Congrats on being published, girl – you totally deserve it. Stay safe and if you need ANYTHING – I’m only a text away!

Ruth E November 4, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I made this recipe and mailed the cookies to my grandsons in NJ. They live on the Jersey Shore and had to evacuate for Sandy. (They were lucky and had no damage to their home.) Of course it is a week past Sandy and they are still out of electricity.) They received these cookies a couple days after returning home from the evacuation. They absolutely loved the cookies. My grandsons are 2 sets of twins. 4 years old and 2 years old.

Amber November 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Ruth, this comment absolutely made my day. We’re in New Jersey too, and the devastation around here has been incredible. I’m so glad that they enjoyed the cookies. Such a small thing, but when sent with love, it can change everything.

Tracy November 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I’m so excited that you’re officially in print!! Very well-deserved! :-)

Amber November 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Thank you, sweet friend!!