Sep

Peanut Butter S’Mores Cookies

Post image for Peanut Butter S’Mores Cookies

by Amber on September 17, 2012

Peanut Butter S’Mores Cookies are all about making your Monday morning a beautiful place. Just imagine the marshmallow bits giving way to a delectable peanut butter center, with chewy cookie adding texture to every bite.

I might be in the minority, but I geek out about new baking ingredients the way someone else might geek out about a new electronic gadget or makeup. Tell me I’m not alone?

A few months ago, I ordered graham flour for the first time – also known as whole wheat pastry flour. As you can probably tell from the name, this is the flour you’d use to make graham crackers. And while I haven’t done that yet, I have been having fun experimenting with graham flour in cookies.

Graham flour adds an extra undertone of flavor, and a slightly firmer texture to baked goods. I absolutely love this, because it means my cookies are a bit firmer on the outside, but give way to that chewy texture we all chase.

When I started playing with the flour, the idea of graham crackers was not lost on me. I’d been looking for a reason to use those Jet Puffed Marshmallow Bits for a while, so using them in a graham flour based cookies is a no-brainer.

Call me crazy – but what’s the ONE thing that makes a S’Mores better? That’s right. Peanut Butter. So do me a favor and stuff this cookie with a Dove Peanut Butter Promise. Biting into the peanut butter middle of a Peanut Butter S’Mores cookie will just make your day better.

It will. I promise.

Amazon links within this post are created from an affiliate program. Bluebonnets & Brownies receives a small commission on products that are purchased through these links.

thelittleloaf September 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I’ve always wondered what graham flour tastes like – I’ve made the crackers but cheating slightly with wholewheat flour. These cookies look heavenly and perfect to cheer up my Monday – might even whip up a batch tonight and surprise my boyfriend!

Amber September 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Whole Wheat Pastry flour is a blend, much like cake flour or bread flour. It’s different from whole wheat flour in that it has less protein (gluten) than whole wheat flour, which means it doesn’t add as much of the “stiffness” you get with plain whole wheat flour. Does that make sense? These would be a pretty sweet surprise! If you don’t want to use whole wheat flour, just sub in All Purpose for the whole recipe.

Living The Sweet Life September 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM

OH MY WORD – – Yuummm!! This cookie is calling my name :) I need to make them and soon … I hadn’t known about Graham Flour until now, you have no idea how many things change now … I’m so excited to start getting messy with my own little creations.

Amber September 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM

New baking ingredients are so fun :)

shelly (cookies and cups) September 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Oh these cookies look amazing! I have loads of those bits and am always looking for a way to use them :)
Also, I had no idea that graham flour was whole wheat pastry flour. Very interesting :)

Amber September 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Shelly, I can speak from experience that they’re faboosh in cookies – any kind of cookies! They don’t melt or get gooey like normal marshmallows would.

DessertForTwo September 17, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I had no idea graham flour is the same as whole wheat pastry! I’ve been stocking both in my pantry.

Amber September 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM

It’s funny, Christina, different manufacturers call it different things, but King Arthur Flour says they’re the same thing. I trust them, so I repeat what they say. ;)

Kathryn September 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

What are you doing to me with all these delicious sounding peanut butter & chocolate recipes?!

Amber September 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Kathryn, you have a load of time to make up for! And more people to indoctrinate to the best chocolate pairing ever! The whole of England, even. ;)

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray September 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM

If I had these cookies in my life, my entire Monday would feel turned around. Wowza!

(P.S. Thanks for the fun fact about graham flour! Totally didn’t know that. :) )

Amber September 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Fun new baking ingredient to play with, right, Tara? Wish I could bring some of these to you!

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. September 17, 2012 at 5:39 PM

How funny you just bought graham flour… I just finished the graham cracker recipe for the book! It’s fate!

Amber September 18, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Ha! You say that as if I have time to bake them :(

Jamie | My Baking Addiction September 17, 2012 at 7:37 PM

After the day I’ve had, I could certainly use one or five of these bad boys! They look super fantastic, friend!

Amber September 18, 2012 at 8:46 AM

If I had any left, they’d be yours.

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom September 18, 2012 at 1:41 AM

OMG, these look amazing!!! Can I ask why whole wheat pastry flour? can I use regular AP flour? or a blend of AP flour and bread flour?

Amber September 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Hi Alice,
As I said in the post, I was just experimenting, but it’s the graham flour that makes these “s’mores” by adding an ever so slight graham cracker taste and a chewier texture. If you don’t have graham flour, you can just use all AP. Bread flour is a completely different protein content to graham flour, so I wouldn’t recommend using that in this recipe.

Thanks for stopping by!
Amber

Tracy September 18, 2012 at 11:10 AM

You are definitely not alone in the geek department, hehe! I love experimenting with new baking ingredients and tools!! :-)

Allison September 19, 2012 at 10:41 AM

If you add s’mores to the title of any recipe, I HAVE to try it.

Jackie September 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Hi Amber

Do you remember what size cookie scoop you used in this recipe. Also, I don’t have room to put the whole cookie sheets in freezer, I was wondering if I could put them on a plate and put them back in the freezer for 20 minutes,

Amber September 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Hey Jackie, whenever I make these candy stuffed cookies, I tend to use the medium Oxo scoop. Just make sure you have enough dough to fully cover the chocolates.

You can refreeze them on anything that will work. If you’ve only got room for a plate, use a plate. When they’re frozen, move them to a ziploc bag and keep them in a freezer until you’re ready to bake. You want them to be frozen when you bake them.