Aug

Secret Recipe Club: Pecan Praline Bars

Post image for Secret Recipe Club: Pecan Praline Bars

by Amber on August 6, 2012

It’s time for another Secret Recipe Club!

Secret Recipe Club

I honestly can’t believe it’s already that time again. It’s been a crazy four weeks since I posted that Lemon Pineapple Cream Pie, and it went by faster than I’d like to admit!

When I opened my assignment email this month, I was stoked! I’ve been assigned Heather’s blog, Sweet and Savory Tooth. I first met Heather when she had my blog for SRC a while back. She made my maple corn bread recipe, and knocked it out of the park.

It took me absolutely ages to decide what I would make. I tossed around so many ideas, from Cranberry Banana Bread, (still on the to-make list, if I’m honest), Mini Pumpkin Donuts, and Ginger Chewies were all top contenders. And in fact, I somehow glossed over the recipe that I finally chose a couple of times before my brain registered the words, Pecan Praline.

Any Texan will tell you, those are magical words. If it’s got pecans, and they’ve been covered in sugary goodness? I’m in.

So, I only have one note to say about this recipe. Heather’s directions said to use an ungreased pan, and even going into the oven, I knew that wasn’t going to end well in our kitchen.

Don’t get me wrong – these bars are beyond delicious. Everything this Texan wants something called “pecan praline” to be. Buttery, nutty, with molasses notes a plenty.

Unfortunately, when I went to invert the bars as the directions advised, the bars would not come out. Even after running a knife around the edge, and lightly tapping the bottom of the pan, they would not move. We ended up having to just kind of shovel the bars out in pieces with a spatula, and then cut squares out where we could.

I would recommend either greasing the pan with cooking spray, or lining it with parchment paper. Please do it, because you’re going to want to eat these bars by the spoonful if you don’t. I absolutely don’t know this from experience. Nuh uh, not me.

I also highly recommend using the bars as the base of a vanilla ice cream sundae, with warm caramel syrup. I’ve been dreaming about that since I pulled them out of the oven.

Thanks, Heather, for some wonderful pecan praline goodness!

Gretchen (Veggie Grettie) August 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Thanks for giving me such a great recipe this month…I really enjoyed being assigned to your blog and can’t wait to make the other recipes I dog-eared from Bluebonnets and Brownies!

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. August 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Oh man, that has totally happened to me with bar cookies before, even after I religiously greased the pan. Luckily, I don’t feel any shame in taking the big square dish right to the couch with a fork and digging in while I catch up on TV.

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray August 6, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Mmm, looks delicious! Pecans are a favorite of my boyfriend’s, so I’ll have to file this on the list of “Desserts to Make When I Screw Up.” ;)

Nicole @ The Daily Dish August 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I’m always surprised when a recipe says un-greased especially with sticky goodness, but I know they exist and they never turn out well at our house either. I use parchment paper when it says un-greased because then I can just lift them out. At any rate, this recipe sounds so scrumptious and as a former texan, I totally get their pull. Yum!!

Kathryn August 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I made something with pecans today but, sadly, it didn’t look as decadent and wonderful as these bars do!

amanda @ fake ginger August 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Love these! Us southerners love us some pralines! I have the worst time with stuff sticking in my kitchen – I pretty much know that i’m going to have to grease pans even when a recipe says not to. I’m just unlucky I guess.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction August 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Ooh, these sound super yummy! I know they’d be too sweet for me at the moment, but I’m adding them to my post-baby baking list.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar August 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM

This sounds fabulous! Love this idea!

Lisa~~ August 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Your bars look gooey delicious and I appreciate your tip for greasing the pan.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my SRC entry: Chicken Satay Noodle Salad.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Mary August 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Wow, Amber!

This recipe looks out of this world–I can’t wait to try it!

Mary
On Behalf of Chinet

sara August 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Wow, these look amazing! I LOVE pecan pralines, what a great dessert and way to enjoy them. :)

Aimee August 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I’m down with eating from the pan with a spoon. Or two spoons. Looks so addictive!

Lesa @Edesia's Notebook August 7, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Oh wow, those bars look amazing! Too bad about the pan issue, but I’m sure that didn’t stop you from enjoying them. I love your idea about putting them with ice cream. Yum!

Isabelle @ Crumb August 7, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Too bad these didn’t turn out prettier, but they still look ooey-gooey delicious. I’m with Aimee… I’d just eat them right out of the pan with a spoon, if that’s what it came down to. :)
Though if (or rather when) I get around to trying this recipe, I’ll probably grease the pan AND line it with parchment just to be extra-sure… I’m a little OCD when it comes to these things.

Sweetsugarbelle August 8, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Oh yes! Praline pecan sundae! That’s what I’m talking about!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking August 16, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I’d have no problem eating these bars straight from the pan.