Jul

Beef & Mushroom Stir Fry

Post image for Beef & Mushroom Stir Fry

by Amber on July 31, 2012

We all have them: recipes in the arsenal straight from Mom’s kitchen. We rarely mess with them because really, why mess with perfection?

One of my favorite things about cooking from memory is that you have that select set of go-to, weeknight meals that speak to you heart the same way a hug from your mama does.

This Beef and Mushroom Stir Fry is one of those recipes for me. When I was a kid, my mom made this at least once every two weeks. Pure simplicity: beef, mushrooms, soy sauce, and water, with a little flour to thicken. Sometimes there were bean sprouts, but more often than not, there weren’t.

I don’t know why I haven’t made this simple supper more often in my adult life. It comes together quicker than take-out can be delivered, and I gotta be honest: to me, it tastes better.

I joojed up Mom’s recipe only a little bit, I swear, and I am happy to report I don’t regret it. The addition of frozen edamame for a little green goodness, minced garlic for a further savory factor, and ground ginger to brighten the whole thing up.

This may become my new Tuesday night go-to. How about you? Do you have a weeknight standard?

Kathryn August 1, 2012 at 5:06 AM

I have a couple of recipes like this, like my macaroni cheese, which my mother taught me (and which her mother taught her and I love that I don’t even need to think about it when I make them, it’s almost second nature. This is such a perfect week night meal, anything that comes together this quickly is a winner in my book!

Amber August 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Um, is that mac and cheese on your site? Because I need it. :)

DessertForTwo August 1, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Gotta love Mom’s recipes :)

Amber August 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Right? They save the day more often than not.

shelly (cookies and cups) August 1, 2012 at 8:34 AM

My husband loves stir fry, and in my opinion, the simpler the better! Trying out this one for sure!

Amber August 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Shelly, let me know when you do. I hope you guys really like it! Though for your boys, you might want to double the recipe. They strike me as strapping guys with big appetites.

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray August 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Ohh, this looks like a recipe I need to tuck in my back pocket for those nights where the cooking fires just aren’t lit. Yum!

Amber August 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Tara, for sure you do! Chicken could be subbed in pretty easy too, to shake things up.

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. August 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Simple, filling, unprocessed, gets the job done. And yes, just as easy as takeout! I wish more people realized this!

Amber August 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Dude, even I forget at long stretches. It’s a process :)

Shaina August 1, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I grew up in a family where we ate the same meal every day of the week, week after week. I was so sick of it by the time I moved out that I had determined I would never do that. So, um, no weeknight standard. However, we do default to the same 2 or 3 meals every Friday during the school year.

I love your additions to this. Ginger is one of my favorite things to cook with.

Amber August 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I can see that being monotonous, Shaina. Ginger is one of James’s favorite flavors, so it was a no brainer to add it here.

Annie August 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM

This looks so delicious! I’m definitely going to give it a try.

Amber August 2, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Thanks, Annie! Hope Mom and Pops like it too :)

Jamie | My Baking Addiction August 2, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I remember being really excited about this recipe when you told me about it. I can’t wait to give it a go!

Amber August 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I can see it becoming a favorite, Jamie. Especially because I know you’re going to Sriracha that bad boy up.

Tracy August 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM

This sounds perfect for a quick weeknight meal. I have been struggling to come up with things to make since I don’t feel like cooking in this awful heat wave, and this is going on the list. :-)