May

The Great American Bake Sale

Post image for The Great American Bake Sale

by Amber on May 2, 2012

This past Saturday, a few other bloggers and myself put on the central New Jersey chapter of the Share Our Strength Great American Bake Sale.

What is the Great American Bake Sale, you ask? Well, it all starts with the fact that 1 in 5 children go hungry every day in America, one of the wealthiest nations on the planet. Share Our Strength initiated bake sales across the nation, by food bloggers and non-food bloggers alike, to help raise funds and awareness to feed children across the nation.

For the past couple of years, on a (hopefully) sunny Saturday in April, food bloggers across the nation have organized bake sales together in a combined effort to bring light to this issue. Plus, it gives us a chance to hang out with each other and bake – obviously one of our favorite things to do.

Mary Kay’s Chocolate Chip Cookies were a huge hit, and the only item to completely sell out!

Before we go any further, I have to give a shout out to my adorable, brilliant, wonderful friend, Casey, whom I consider a co-chair on this event.

She went out of her way to stay with me all day and make the entire day enjoyable as well as a success. She got her friends to bake extra stuff for the event. Y’all, she even showed up at my house at 8, which means she was up at silly o’clock on a Saturday, and stayed right through to 5 p.m. That’s love.

And I mean, come on, how can you not love her?

In addition to Casey, I had three other fabulous teammates that went above and beyond in their efforts for our team. Urvashee from Dessarts, Mary Kay from Homemade Cravings, and Kate from Food Babbles did everything from baking to table-sitting to getting their friends and families to donate cold hard cash to the cause.

My Movie Theatre Cookies

Mary Kay’s Black Bottom Cupcakes

Chocolate Dipped Fritos!

Lemon Pound Cake Muffins donated by Casey’s pal, Steph Auteri.

Butterscotch Blondies donated by Casey’s pal, Emily Peterson.

Speaking of Donations…

Our efforts aren’t done yet. We’d really love it if you donated too. Did you know that just $1 pays for 10 meals to feed a hungry child?

Click the image, then click the Donate button to donate to our team!

We also want to say a HUGE thank you to Cheryl and Lauren at Cool Vines Wine Shop in Westfield, NJ. Cheryl and Lauren went above and beyond for us – not only donating their outdoor space to our cause, but helping spread the word through emails to their customers, signs in their windows, and purchasing more than their fair share of baked goods from the sale.

If you’re in the area and you’ve never been in Cool Vines, you must make a special trip. Obviously, their wine selection is officially magnificent, but they also have a really fabulous and delectably obscure selection of liqueurs. I personally have purchased many a gift at Cool Vines, including a Blood Orange liqueur that my giftee adored. The staff is incredibly knowledgeable about every product they sell. Any alcohol-related question you throw at them, they’ve got an answer.

Oh, and I should probably mention they do free wine tastings pretty much every weekend. What are you waiting for?!

In the coming weeks I’ll share some recipes from what we sold on April 28th, as well as our final fundraising total. I can’t wait!

shelly (cookies and cups) May 2, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I so wish I could have participated this year! Next year, for sure!

Amber May 2, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Shelly, I can’t wait for next year. The folks at Cool Vines have already told us we’re welcome to come back (and even do more bake sales in between, if we want.) Tell those kiddos you’re mine for next year’s bake sale weekend :)

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray May 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I love your Movie Theatre Cookies! It looks like your NJ sale went great–congratulations! And kudos to you for doing all the work to put this together. :)

Amber May 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Tara – James took the extras to work to raise extra money. One of his coworkers said we should put a frozen rolo in the middle of the movie theatre cookies – combining my recipe with Jamie’s (My Baking Addiction) Rolo Cookie recipe. Can you imagine?!

Thanks for the compliment. I just tallied us up, and we made just over a $1,000 between the 5 of us. Not a bad effort!

Bonnie K May 2, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Beautiful! All the wraps and labels made it looked extra special—a good way to sell well. A job well done. :)

Amber May 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Thanks, Bonnie! That’s certainly bake sale rule number one – package well. It encourages people to stop and to buy. Especially if they know they can throw it in a bag to eat later.

Jamie | My Baking Addiction May 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Love this post, Amber! You guys had some seriously delicious looking creations. I’m fairly certain I would have purchased all of the Chocolate Dipped Fritos! I can’t wait to see your recipes.

Amber May 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I may have devoured the leftover Fritos instead of sending them to work with James.. just may have..

Mary Kay May 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Thank you Amber for organizing, it was wonderful to be a part of and was thanks to all of your hard work that it was such a success! I love those Movie Theatre Cookies and can’t believe I only ate one bag of chocolate covered fritos, definitely a treat that is hard to resist!

Amber May 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I can’t believe you only ate one bag too! I came home and had 3!

Shaina May 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM

It looks like you had a great event! How fun that you and Casey got to do it together. :)

Amber May 3, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Wish you could have been there, Shaina. Would have been that much more fun.

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. May 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Um. Thanks for using my ass as the lead photo on this post!

Amber May 3, 2012 at 4:06 PM

You’re quite welcome. It was the best table shot I had :P At least you have a cute ass.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 3, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I missed out on the FB Bakesale this year because I was already in charge of a huge bake sale at our church that happened to be the same time (Thurs – Sat). Otherwise, I think I would have driven to NJ for some of those movie theater cookies. Looks like your bake sale was a lot of fun… And you had lots of delicious treats!

Amber May 3, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Next year, Jen! You are hereby pledged to us for next year. Put it on your calendar now.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell May 3, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Ok, you are AWESOME for doing that. And I really like the creativity of what you were selling. I must admit that I can’t get the chocolate dipped Fritos out of my head right now.

Your friend looks pretty fantastic too, and clearly she is for spending the day with you and helping you so much.

I hope you raised a ton of money!

Amber May 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Liz, so far we’ve raised just over $1,000. Pretty exciting, because that’s 10,000 meals! You should make yourself some chocolate dipped fritos. They are QUITE the treat.