Apr

Fritos Friday: Fritos Ballpark Toffee

Post image for Fritos Friday: Fritos Ballpark Toffee

by Casey Barber on April 6, 2012

It’s time for another Fritos Friday! My favorite day of the week by far. This week, Casey from Good. Food. Stories. brings you Fritos Ballpark Toffee. I seriously cannot wait to make this for us. It sounds like my kind of thing, that’s for sure. Thanks, Casey, for joining me in Fritos Friday!

When Amber instituted this new but already beloved tradition of Fritos Fridays, I knew there was no way I could hold back from contributing. I’m writing a cookbook on homemade junk food, for pete’s sake. My genetic makeup is about 50 percent marshmallow cream and frying oil at this point.

And when she told me that Fritos are sold at minor league ballparks throughout Texas — in fact, they’re the Official Snack of Minor League Baseball — I knew exactly what I’d create.

Marrying a baseball guy, as I’ve done, means devotion in so many ways—one of which is a lifetime of ballpark eating. This isn’t as bad as it sounds.

Ballpark food has become impressively diverse (and even healthy at times) over the past decade, so there’s no reason to grab a hot dog and call it a day unless you’re in Chicago, in which case make mine with extra sport relish, please. I’ve eaten crab rolls while watching the San Francisco Giants, pierogies at PNC Park, and more Korean fried chicken, Shackburgers, and chicken molé tacos than I can count at Citi Field, home of the Mets.

Between the cups of chowder floating around Fenway Park and the crab cakes coming in from the harbor at Camden Yards, let’s not lose sight of the classics: in Texas, those are Fritos, but as the song reminds us, there’s also peanuts and Cracker Jack.

With these flavors in mind, here’s a confection with all the oh-so-American elements of a good seventh-inning treat, along with a splash of beer for kicks. (Come on, we’re at a ballpark! Of course there’s beer involved!)

I make—and eat—a lot of toffee and brittle, but the addition of Fritos turns this into a truly MVP recipe. Bringing in those curly corn chips’ greasy crunch and slightly sweet grit makes potato chip brittle look minor league by comparison. (Baseball season runs through October, so more than one batch might be in order.)

Aimee April 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM

This. Looks. So. Good. !!!!
Love Fritos Friday and can’t wait to make this Ballpark Toffee when I have plenty of people to help me eat it, or else I KNOW I will eat it all. YUM.

Aimee April 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I want to take in a baseball game with you and Amber – and there better be a tin of this toffee!

Full confession: Frito virgin here. Can we still be friends? :)

Kristen April 6, 2012 at 9:35 PM

First of all, Aimee… you’ve never had Fritos? Oh my, Amber… what are we going to do with her?

This looks like an awesome sweet and salty snack ! What a great idea.

Amber April 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM

We’re going to feed her lots of fritos (I already have designs on a tequila and fritos evening at BSP) and show her what it means to be Texan, dammit. ;)

Shea Goldstein April 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I can’t believe there’s a Frito virgin – Aimee you need to go get a bag ASAP!! I’ve been addicted since I was 5 years old- my favorite way to eat them is dipped in cottage cheese, crazy I know. This toffee looks incredible, what a great idea!

shelly (cookies and cups) April 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Oh, this is my kinda food.

Heather April 10, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Think I could take out the popcorn and do just peanuts and fritos? I love popcorn but I love fritos more…

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. April 10, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Heather, you can make it any way you want to make it – it will be more of a praline or peanut brittle instead of a Cracker Jack-style dessert by removing the popcorn, with big swaths of toffee on the baking sheet before you break it. Or sub in whatever other snack food floats your boat! Potato chips would rock.

Jamie | My Baking Addiction April 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I think my heart just skipped a beat! I am such a sucker for that sweet/salty combination – this is a must make!

michelle June 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

What could I substitute for the beer?

Amber June 1, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Michelle, Casey’s on vacation at the moment, so I’ll take a stab at it and say you could probably add cola or root beer instead, or possibly omit the beer all together. If Casey has further insight, I’m sure she’ll add it when she can.

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. June 1, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I wouldn’t bring another strong, sweet flavor like cola into the mix – if you’re going alcohol-free, I’d just substitute water.

michelle June 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM