Mar

Easter Bunny Bait

Post image for Easter Bunny Bait

by Amber on March 28, 2012

Easter in our family has always meant a day spent together with good food, card games, and Easter egg hunts. We’re not an overly religious family, so any religious holiday has typically been spent just appreciating each other as a family and being thankful that we have each other.

I hope that it’s obvious from this food blog, one of my favorite ways to love my family is to make them yummy food. While I was in San Antonio, my sister and I became kind of obsessed with Peanut Butter Cheerios. Then I started seeing commercials for that new chocolate-filled Krave cereal, and I instantly knew that the two had to be put together somehow.

I don’t know about you, but I love love love snack-y foods. Crunchy, sweet and salty? I’m in. (See: Frito Jets) Peanut Butter Cheerios and Double Chocolate Krave cereal just naturally lend themselves to party mix. I decided to create a Chex Mix-Puppy Chow hybrid with them.

Riffing off the Reindeer Chow appearing on blogs around Christmas, I thought it would be fun to make Easter Bunny Bait to convince that little guy to leave extra chocolate eggs for all of us good boys and girls.

As the English say, this Easter Bunny Bait is incredibly “moreish”. Meaning you want to eat more and more and more of it.

In addition to the peanut butter Cheerios, double chocolate Krave cereal, the mix includes sourdough pretzels, Easter M & Ms, chocolate peanut butter nut mix, more chocolate and peanut butter, and the whole shebang is covered with powdered sugar, like Puppy Chow.

I could have eaten the whole bag, but luckily I came to my senses and sent it to work with James. Happy Spring, my friends! Enjoy the sunshine and lots of peanut butter and chocolate.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction March 28, 2012 at 11:40 AM

What a cute idea, Amber! I bet it wouldn’t last long in my house… Darron would devour it :) Perhaps he is part rabbit?

Amber March 28, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Haha at least maybe part Easter Bunny, Jen.

DessertForTwo March 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Ok, NOW I know what moreish means. Gosh, that’s been bugging me for years.

This looks addicting! :)

Amber March 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

You’re a silly sausage :) (yet another British phrase) It was pretty damn addicting. I’m glad it’s not in the house anymore, or I’d be eating it right now. And my hips might not appreciate me.

Raquel March 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Those look super cute. Im sure to give these a try since my daiughter its leaving her pacifiers for the easter bunny to take with him!

Amber March 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Raquel, good luck with giving the pacifiers to the Easter Bunny. I remember how that was with my nephew. You’ll need the extra chocolate and sugar, both of you!

Jenny W. March 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Great idea! I just mentioned “Easter Bunny Bait” and the kids went wild, lol! We make reindeer chow every year for Christmas why not for the Easter bunny;)

Amber March 28, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Jen, you’ll have to let me know what they think of it. Would love to see their faces!

Cindy E March 28, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Not only did I love the Bunny Bait-but I also love the serving dishes you have them displayed in!! (I love dishes and interesting bowls!) Any chance you could let me know where you found them?

Amber March 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Cindy, I got those at a little shop in the French Quarter a few weeks ago, called Roux Royale. Their facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roux-Royale/219714451383759

They don’t have online ordering, but possibly they’ll sell you them over the phone and ship them. I fell in love with those bowls so much that I required going back before we left town on our way back to New Jersey just so I could buy them!

Renee Adams March 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Hi Amber,

I too, would love to know where to find the fleur de lis bowls you used to display the Easter Bunny Bait? Thank you, Renee’

Amber March 28, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Renee, it’s from a shop in the French Quarter called Roux Royale. I emailed you separately, but here’s the link to their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roux-Royale/219714451383759. Thanks so much for your comment!

Tracy March 28, 2012 at 4:06 PM

This definitely sounds addictive! I bet my hubby would love it. :-)

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. March 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Have we already talked about how obsessed I am with peanut butter Cheerios? And now you go and make this adorable confection… damn. Resistance is futile.

Kathryn March 28, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Ooh lots of sweet and salty, all in easy to grab handfuls? Definitely moreish! And probably quite dangerous…

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Consider me baited….although I’m not the easter bunny.

Miss March 28, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Your little dishes have caught my eye too, very unique! I love the idea of bunny bait, I’m sure I could eat it all and not share one bit!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets March 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Love everything you have in there. You got me!

Sweetsugarbelle March 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Hybrid chow…I love it!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel April 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM

This is hilarious! My kids would love it.