Mar

Fritos Friday: Frito Jets

Post image for Fritos Friday: Frito Jets

by Amber on March 23, 2012

A while back, I happened upon an NPR sponsored radio show, Hidden Kitchens: Texas, narrated by Willie Nelson.

Listening to talk radio is not normally my thing, but I was intrigued by the description: “the Texas experience through food and the stories of people who find it, grow it, cook it, sell it, celebrate with it, and write about it”.

As I listened, flashes of old ice houses around San Antonio, taco restaurants that are still open today, it was all brought to life by Willie’s voice.

One part of the show that totally captivated me was the interview with Kaleta Doolin, the daughter of C. E. Doolin, the founder of the Frito (and later, FritoLay) Company.

She spoke of her mother and grandmother creating recipes using fritos, of her dad thinking fritos were a perfect food, and of him bringing home fresh bags, straight from the fryer (but before they’d had salt added – he was actually vegetarian, and quite health conscious).

You may not realize that Fritos are a San Antonio creation. While C. E. didn’t invent fritos (originally fritas – spanish for “little fried things”), he did recognize their genius, and purchased the patent and materials from the original maker for $100.

One recipe Kaleta mentioned during the broadcast is quite simple, but also quite ingenious – Frito Jets. Fritos dipped in milk chocolate and then cooled.

Frito Jets do not appear in the book Kaleta wrote last year, but there are tons of other fantastic recipes. I’ll be featuring some of them here on B&B because I am smitten. Check out Fritos Pie: Stories, Recipes and More for yourself, you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Frito Jets are a fantastic party food, and I won’t lie – it took all the will power I possess not to scoff the entire tray in one sitting.

Fritos are a weakness at the best of days, but dipped in chocolate? Oh. My.

Fritos have inspired me! Fritos Friday will be a regular occurrence around B&B. What will you make for Fritos Friday?

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch March 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Love this story, Amber just as much as I know I’d love those Fritos Jets! Mercy!

Amber March 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM

It’s a real problem, Robyn. I have an entire bag of ‘em in the fridge! Hidden behind a lot of large bottles so that it’s real work to get to them.

DessertForTwo March 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM

What a great NPR show! I’m going to have to find that! I hope they have it in podcast format! Do you know?

Are these called jets because you want to JET THEM INTO YOUR FACE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE?? I do!

My fiance is hanging out with my parents in Dallas all day today. I’m so jealous. I’m stuck in Cali. I thought you would understand :(

Amber March 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I linked to it there in the post, Tina – http://www.kitchensisters.org/hktexas/hk_texas.htm – not sure if it’s a podcast, but I think you can download an mp3 of it from Kitchen Sisters.

I think they were made when jumbo jets were first coming into being, but I like your idea better. Cus.. yeah. James nearly had to hold an intervention, 5 minutes after I made these.

I totally understand. Like that time James went on a business trip to Houston and ate his face off with Tex-Mex while I was up here in Jersey. Down with that sort of thing!

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. March 23, 2012 at 10:44 AM

So I went to the store to buy Fritos yesterday and totally forgot to restock my chocolate chip situation. DANG!

Amber March 23, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I almost always put a bag of chocolate chips in the cart every trip.. it’s just the way of things around here.

Angie R. March 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Ok, I’m a Texas girl (born in Ft. Worth, raised in Waxahachie and recently now living in Waco), but I have to say these really threw me for a loop when I first saw the picture. I was like, “is that chocolate on Frito scoops? Really?” But then I started thinking about there is chocolate covered pretzels and chocolate covered peanuts, so why not chocolate covered Fritos. I am so intrigued by how these must taste. I may just have to make some for tonight when we’re watching our Baylor Bears in the Sweet Sixteen. Sic ‘em Bears!
P.S. – My friends and I are planning a girl’s weekend getaway in May and we’re going to San Antonio!

Amber March 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Angie, your thought process was pretty much exactly the same as mine. As I listened to the radio show, I was like, “Fritos and chocolate, what?!” and actually rewound the show. I think they’d be GREAT for football watching. Enjoy the Friday Night Lights, darlin’!

If you need any restaurant or sightseeing tips on San Antonio, let me know, okay? You can email me at amber@bluebonnetsandbrownies.com.

Kriss Morton-Weekley March 23, 2012 at 4:11 PM

As usally GREAT post. And the best part is? I have chili Fritos and I love spicy chocolate and I happen to have a hidden stash of Hershey bars (my manbeast keeps eating the baking milk chocolate grrr) I AM SO MAKING these TODAY! I would dare to say the perfect PMS blend.. salty and chocolaty!

Amber March 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Kriss, I completely agree about that PMS blend ;) Do you mean the Tapatio Fritos or the Flamin’ Hot ones? I hope you don’t mean Chili Cheese, cus as much as I love those, I totally draw the line at chocolate and cheese. ;)

Kriss Morton-Weekley March 23, 2012 at 8:05 PM

*faceplant* the Tapatio … we suck that down in our house like water so it was only natural that when my husband came across a bag at the local store during a buy 2/$4 he bought 8 bags. He was sent to the store to buy salad stuff … we were starting a diet that week… yes Chili Cheese *shuddering* with chocolate.. NOT a good thing

suzanne March 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM

yum, Fritos and chocolate two of my favorite things. My husband had never had heard of Frito pie until we got married. When we moved to Texas he was surprised to see it on a restaurant menu. I feel bad that the man had to go 30 years before he ever experienced the joy of chili, cheese and fritos.

Amber March 26, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Suzanne, my husband had never had a frito until he met me. They don’t sell them in the UK. These poor men that we rescued!

Konnie March 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM

that’s so silly. running out of chocolate……hahahahaha. saving them in the refrigerator? are you kidding. – what are you a saint?? no! triple the sauce qauntities and eat them all as soon as cooled (or not) just sit on the sofa with the bag on one side and the warm dip in a bowl on your lap…………….

Amber March 26, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Konnie, I am not a saint – far from it! Which is why I had them. :)

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf March 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Great post!! Oh, my LAND, I cannot show my husband or son. Not. Ever. But they look so GOOD! Might have to secretly make some and…dole them out one at a time? ;)

Amber March 26, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Or eat them all while the boys are out somewhere!

Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet) March 24, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Are you from SA? I am from Houston… but live in SA! Love these frites…GENIUS! Glad to be in SRC with you!

Amber March 26, 2012 at 7:47 AM

I am! Thanks :)

angie March 25, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Mm This is the perfect combination of sweet & salty, crunchy and smooth!!!

Amber March 26, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Angie, I couldn’t agree more. They’re kind of addicting.

sweetsugarbelle March 26, 2012 at 12:11 AM

OH MY GOODNESS?! WHY????????????????????????? You just completely my snack attack moment! Sweet and salty bliss! PS…from now on I am blaming my large posterior on YOU!

Amber March 26, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I’ll take the blame. Chocolate dipped fritos are totally worth it.

Tracy March 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM

These are so fun! I love anything sweet & salty, and sadly I can’t remember the last time I had Fritos. These look so addicting!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction March 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Hot Damn – Chocolate Dipped Fritos – now, I can get behind these bad boys!

N May 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Do you mean veggie oil? Or the sticks of Crisco shortening?
By the way, this looks delicious! :)

Amber May 2, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I mean sticks of Crisco (or tubs) :)