Mar

Baked Onion Soup

Post image for Baked Onion Soup

by Amber on March 21, 2012

There are few soups more comforting to me than savory, flavorful Baked Onion Soup. I think the first time I had it I was 5 or 6, and it was at this restaurant-bar-club spot called Gallagher’s. The special crock of bubbling, molten hot soup wafting its way towards me in the restaurant.. I can still picture it today.

Gallagher’s played a big part in my childhood. My dad’s band had a standing gig there every Friday and Saturday night for about five years. I think we ate pretty much everything on the menu in that time. But I always went back to that soup.

The restaurant is long gone now, replaced by a Marie Callendar’s. Where the bar and stage were is now their private party room. It makes me a little sad, but mostly nostalgic. When I made this Baked Onion Soup from Sargento’s website the other night, I was taken right back to Gallagher’s.

When smoking was still allowed in restaurants, and the sound of my dad singing Top 40 hits soothed me through my dinner, and to sleep hours later on chairs pushed together in a dark corner.

It wasn’t a typical childhood, but it sure was fun.

I was a little shocked at myself that I’ve never made this soup before. It seriously could not be easier. The hardest thing I did was chop onions. (And come on, that’s not really so hard, especially with big, yellow, sweet ones.)

In no time at all I had a hearty, robust Baked Onion Soup covered in swiss cheese and parmesan. Dipping your spoon in, getting all that melty cheese and soppy baguette.. it’s what dreams are made of, I tell you.

Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post written for Sargento. I chose the recipe I wanted to make, and all memories mentioned are my own, as well as my opinions about the cheese used in the recipe. I was compensated for this post.

DessertForTwo March 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Ooooh drool!
I know this is good because it calls for a whole stick of butter! Preach it, sista! :)

Amber March 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Haha, actually 1/2 a stick (which could easily be confused with 1/2 a cup, which IS a whole stick) – either way, it’s buttery, oniony, beefy delicious goodness.

Hope you’re doing okay out there in Cali on your own, sweets. Thinking of you.

Alana March 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I love french onion soup – but have been making it a little different lately – i replace a portion of the beef stock with a can a guiness and leave out the white wine – it is really good!

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf March 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Amber, thanks so much for this post! I keep telling my family I’m going to make a good french/baked onion soup soon and I never do. Now I can add this to my repertoire! Looks sooooo good.

Kathryn March 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM

These pictures are mouthwatering, I’d love a big bowl of this right now! That cheesy, carby topping is just too good!

Marcee .... ILLINOIS March 21, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Will save this recipe for a cool day.

My version will be (mostly) veggie.

Ohyeah ….. swiss cheese used to be a fav …. no longer. Gives me headaches. How about fresh (no salted) mozzerella? Should work okay.

Anxious to try. I also spoted those lemon crinkle cookies! Gotta bake those too!

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. March 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I’m embarrassed to say this, but I have never made onion soup from scratch at home (because of a certain husband who hates soup). But this recipe can easily be downsized for 2 bowls, which is all I really need!

Living The Sweet Life March 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Any soup with it’s own cheese layer, holds a special place in my heart ;) This is such a delicious recipe, im going to have to bookmark it for a rainy day, when I need to just dive into something warm and comforting

Debs @ The Spanish Wok March 22, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Oh how I love onion soup, this looks delicious.

You are welcome to join in my food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here all bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

Rachel Cooks (formerly Not Rachael Ray) March 22, 2012 at 2:22 PM

onion soup is one of my favorites and this version looks so amazing!

shelly (cookies and cups) March 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM

ONion soup is one of my husbands all time favorite foods. That cheese blend sounds fantastic!

Ewa March 23, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Memories :) It is very nice as you can eat what you ate when you were a child. I think that these foods have in them some magic :) So, I did try this soup. You got some food which often have you been?

Tracy March 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I’m making French onion soup tonight! I think I’ll be trying your recipe instead of the one I had planned because it looks so amazing!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction March 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM

My mom’s favorite soup in the whole wide world in French Onion – I’ll have to email her this post. I must say – I’m loving the cheesiness of this one, Amber!