Mar

Fresh Strawberry Kefir Scones with Orange Glaze

Post image for Fresh Strawberry Kefir Scones with Orange Glaze

by Amber on March 15, 2012

I’m not much one for pressuring other people in the grocery store about what to buy. Over the years, I’ve become more informed about where my food comes from, and that leads me to make choices that may be different from mainstream America.

Occasionally, I’ve been accused by my midwestern brother-in-law for being a food snob, choosing to buy organic over non-organic, whether it be produce or a cookie. I’m okay with that. Especially when it comes to produce.

I know organic produce doesn’t mean I’m safe from things like salmonella. I still wash the heck out of it. But in my own experience, and just this past week, in my sister’s, sometimes, organic food just does taste better.

Case in point: Strawberries. Strawberries are just coming into season here in San Antonio, thanks to Poteet, our own little strawberry haven of South Texas. However, you actually have to go to Poteet to get those strawberries, so at the grocery store, we’re still finding the California imports.

Two weeks in a row, my sister bought run-of-the-mill, $4.99 quarts of strawberries. They smelled wonderful. But they had no taste. No pop, no wow, and certainly no juicy texture. If I could tell a strawberry, “I’m just not that into you,” – it would be these strawberries.

I hadn’t seen an organic stash of them at the nearby H-E-B, but then suddenly, this past Monday, there they were. I smelled their heady fragrance two aisles away. Ava and I were grocery shopping together, and I waved the box in front of her nose. “Oooooh!” she said. “Those smell SO good, Auntie!” (She’s taken to calling me Auntie, and I have no idea why.)

We grabbed the box and headed for home. That night, after dinner, the kids were clamoring for dessert. I grabbed the box of strawberries from the fridge, and waved them under Chellee’s nose too. She let out an appreciative “mmmmm!” and then I got to washing and de-stemming.

My first bite of these strawberries – ecstasy. This is what strawberries taste like. The kids ate fresh strawberries for their dessert, no sugar or whipped cream required.

I chopped the rest of the strawberries finely, with a plan for these scones already in hand. Their destination? David’s school’s teacher break room.

I’ve made a point, while I’m here, of baking for all the “places” in my family’s life.

I don’t ever get to do that from New Jersey, so it’s been a joy to provide Ava’s preschool with fresh blueberry muffins, Chellee’s fellow nurses with much needed cupcakes, and Jeremy’s fire squad with macaroons and banana nut muffins.

Adding just the right touch of sweetness, I created an orange juice glaze that plays perfectly off the strawberries. The tart sweet glaze adds a slight crunch to the outside of the scones, and requires only two ingredients: orange juice (I even used low sugar Trop 50) and powdered sugar.

Once glazed, these strawberry scones look like something straight out of a Starbuck’s bakery case. You’ll be the talk of the office, let me tell you.

Scones couldn’t be easier. I say that over and over again. For these scones, I decided to grab a bottle of Green Valley Organics Plain Kefir we had in the fridge and go to town. If you haven’t heard of Green Valley Organics, get on it. Their yogurts, kefirs, and sour cream are phenomenal.

I love that not only do they use organic farming practices, but there are no growth hormones – ever – and all of their products are lactose free. (In addition to this being great for me, someone who is slightly lactose intolerant, lactose free dairy products last f-o-r-e-v-e-r before going bad. Bonus!)

In addition to being incredibly creamy and perfect for breakfast, they’re perfect for baked goods too. I could easily have swapped in a cup of their Honey Yogurt for the Plain Kefir. You really can use whatever you have on hand, but I recommend using the best quality ingredients you can.

I will say that the verdict from David’s Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Pittman, (Hi, Mrs. P! Thanks for being awesome!) is that the teachers were saying they’d never had a scone before that wasn’t dry and crumbly.

These scones are definitely not that. They’re moist, slightly sweet, and incredible with an afternoon cup of tea or coffee.

Disclaimer: Green Valley Organics did not sponsor this post nor ask me to write it. I have been a longtime fan of their products, purchasing them on my own for over a year. I have not been compensated for this post, though I did receive a sample of products as a gift from a friend.

Kathryn March 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I so agree with all of this! Organic food may be a con but I’ve found that vegetables and fruit just taste better if they are organic and local and seasonal. It’s a much nicer way to eat. I love the combination of the strawberry and orange in these scones, they look wonderful.

Amber March 20, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Thanks, Kathryn. They really were so tasty.. I wish I had some now!

EMily March 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM

These scones look divine! and I really do love when you taste the diffrence in organic foods and your right, it really is mainly with produce.. Bannanas- so much sweeter, Strabberies, and any other berries for that matter-amazing!

Amber March 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Thanks for commenting, Emily. Mmmm strawberry banana scones.. now you’ve got my mind a’ churnin’!

Ewa March 15, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Nice. I like strawberry and i must try this. Light, delicious and a great dish. So soon I will prepare it :)

Amber March 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Thanks, Ewa! I hope motherhood is treating you well :)

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. March 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Not to mention that conventional strawberries are basically like a sponge for pesticides. If there’s one fruit to save a few extra dollars to buy organic, it’s berries!

Amber March 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM

For sure, Casey. But when I started to tell my sis that, I saw her eyes glaze over a bit. So having the organic berries taste better was a sure way to convince her. :)

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. March 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Taste is the most convincing argument! (And I’m sure the kiddos agreed too.)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 15, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Mmm I would lick that glaze right up! Love these!

Amber March 21, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Katrina, that glaze was SO good. I want to put it on all kinds of things now. Muffins, different scones, pound cake..

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf March 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I totally agree, and strawberries are the perfect case-in-point. You can think you’re buying fresh, amazing strawberries and BLAH, or bitter. These scones look amazing and I’m making them – w organic strawberries!

Amber March 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Cindy, I can’t wait to hear how you like them. Thanks for your sweet comment.

Sweetsugarbelle March 17, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I got some strawberries not long ago that really tasted like strawberries, and they were from HEB. I didn’t even think to look where they were from. Wonder if we got the same batch?

Amber March 18, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Maybe so – they weren’t Driscoll. They were some other random brand I’d never seen before, and the second time we went back that week to get more for fruit salad, I literally got the last box.

Tracy March 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM

These scones sound incredible! And I agree, there is absolutely nothing like fresh, organic strawberries.

Amber March 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Tracy, I think you’ll love them!

vianney March 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM

I hit up HEB yesterday and found strawberries (they smelled heavenly), but lacekd in flvor BIG time. I wish I lived in Poteet I’m in RGV, We went to the festival last year and I bought a pallet of strawberries Amazing!! I’m bookmarking these… hopefully soon I will run into some great berries!

Amber March 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Vianney, definitely make time to get a pallet from Poteet. I wish I’d been able to stay in Texas long enough to do that. We’re back in Jersey now.

Cassie March 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I am drooling! I love the big chunks of berries. Strawberries are my favorite!

Amber March 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Thanks, Cassie! Strawberries are one of my favorites too, and the kids went crazy over them.

inventory london March 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM

This one is looking so delicious and as a matter of fact is my favourite combination strawberries and cinnamon

Amber March 21, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Thanks so much for your sweet comment!