Mar

Jargaritas

Post image for Jargaritas

by Amber on March 12, 2012

One of my fondest memories from last year’s Big Summer Potluck was standing in the kitchen, surveying the chaos of the Friday night party, when Colleen from Souffle Bombay flew by me with a big smile on her face and a little frozen jar of brilliance that she thrust into my hands as she walked past.

I can’t remember if we called them Jargaritas that night, or if it’s something James came up with later, so you’ll have to forgive me if it was Colleen or someone at BSP that came up with that name and I’m not giving them credit.

As soon as all the girls (Aimee, Shaina, Tracy, and Jeanne) and I got home, we regaled James with stories of those Jargaritas, and how amazing they were. Well, all of us except Aimee, who was newly pregnant. I think she’s hoping the Jargaritas make an appearance at this year’s conference too!

James was intrigued, and insisted we make them ourselves at the first available opportunity. Now, they are a staple at our house. Perfect for sipping while we sit in the hot tub of an evening. Even more perfect en-mass for parties and barbecues.

Here’s why Jargaritas are so brilliant: It takes just moments to mix the concoction and distribute it among 12 Mason jars. Place the jars (in their box, for easy transport) in the freezer, and then leave them there.

Whenever you fancy a little slushy libation, just mosey on over to the freezer, grab a jar, shake it, unscrew the lid, and pop a straw in.

Perfectly textured frozen margaritas without any blenders, mess, or mixes filled with high fructose corn syrup. (Though if you use frozen canned limeade concentrate, most versions do have HFCS in them. See my link in the comments below for an HFCS free recipe.)

Because of the alcohol content, Jargaritas never completely freeze.

If you have a barbecue coming up, you can make these drinks weeks in advance, so long as you have the freezer room, and it’s one less thing to do the day of your party.

Colleen, I really must thank you for this recipe. It’s become such a staple in our house!

Feel free to play around with the recipe to suit your taste buds. Colleen’s recipe calls for Chambord, which is incredibly delicious. But once we’ve burned through our current stash, I’m going to switch in Limoncello for the Chambord and see how we do.

elizabeth@Lone Stars and Stripes March 12, 2012 at 8:15 AM

What a fabulous idea! Perfect football-watching drinks for the fall! Pinned & saved! :)

Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon March 12, 2012 at 8:15 AM

There was nothing quite so perfect as walking into Pam’s house after sitting in traffic forEVER and grabbing one of the last jargaritas that Colleen had brought. These are genius.

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. March 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Why do you tempt me with Jargaritas on a Monday morning? Ohhh… so I have enough time to put them in the freezer for Monday EVENING, that’s why!

Cookbook Queen March 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Love love LOVE this idea! The only thing I don’t love is that it’s too early to drink one right now…. :(

Cassie March 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM

These are too fun, love the flavor combo!

spiceblogger March 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Love, love, LOVE this idea! :D

I host a “Happy Hour Friday” link up every friday. Would love to have you stop by and share this idea or any other cocktails you’ve got. It’s lots of fun :)

–Shelley

Tracy March 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Mmm, these were one of the best things about BSP! ;-) I love love love these, and still have to make them at home because I keep forgetting to pick up Chambord. I love the idea of using Limoncello, too! These are perfect anytime but now that the weather is warming up, I can’t wait to start making them.

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf March 12, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Jargaritas! I saw that title and here I am. :) Sounds like I must make them and have the girls over asap!

vianney March 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM

OH goodness I love these jargaritas…. Summer in Texas would be so much more festive with these babies in my fridge!!

Miss March 14, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Mercy, I think I must do this soon! Thanks for sharing & hope you made it home safely!

Sweetsugarbelle March 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM

These are an awesome idea!!! Love love love easy margaritas. I think you just topped the Shiner Bock cupcakes!

Amber March 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Ha! Why is it my recipes always involve booze? I swear I’m not that much of a boozehound. I can’t take all the credit, but I’m glad you love them. Colleen is pretty smart.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction March 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Yes… These are so genius. I have been dreaming of them ever since BSP last summer. And, yes, I think limoncello will be a fabulous addition.

Colleen (SouffleBombay) March 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM

So glad you and your hubs enjoy them Amber! When I heard we had to bring a gluten-free dish to BSP2…my mind turned to alcohol (don’t judge… lol)! They may have to make a reappearance this year at BSP3…we shall see. I am such a Chambord lov-ah…I even put it in my chocolate mousse :) Let me know how the Limoncello ones turn out – great idea!!
And I have no idea who coined the name Jargaritas…I thought it was you :)

Amber March 22, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Ha! It must have been the hubs then. He loves making up new words anyway, I should have known.

Kimberly March 22, 2012 at 6:58 PM

LOVE it! Since I’m stuck in Alaska for now, I’m probably going to make some little sweaters for these guys, too (FreeCycled of course). To keep our hands warm while we hold them. I’m going to get my jars out now. I’ve been on a freezer meal kick lately, and this rounds out my menu so nicely. HA. Now I know what I’m having with my Tamale pie. (and my cheese soup, and my French Dip, and well, I think you know where I’m going with this)

Kris March 25, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I got SO excited reading this when you said “without any blenders, mess, or mixes filled with high fructose corn syrup” because our family cannot have high fructose corn syrup (due to health issues.) However … the recipe has frozen limeade which, of course, is full of high fructose corn syrup. :’(
Do you (or ANY one) know of something we can substitute this with?? Oh, this sounded so good too ….

Amber March 26, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Kris, you’re absolutely right. I took the easy route when I posted the recipe and used canned limeade concentrate. I know there are organic versions out there, but you are right that the one I grabbed had HFCS in it. I’m sorry.

Limeade concentrate is actually really simple to make though. Here’s a link to a simple recipe: http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/66/Limeade

It makes about four cups of limeade concentrate, but you only need 1 1/2. So you could either make the full recipe and have left over for making cherry limeades (yum!) or you can cut down the recipe by using a ration of 1:3 – for every 1 measurement of lime juice, you need 3 times as much simple syrup.

I hope that helps, and I’m sorry for misleading you. I’ve edited the post.

Kris March 26, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Amber, thanks SO much for the info on making my own limeade concentrate! I can’t tell you how many recipes I’ve passed over through the years because we couldn’t use the store-bought concentrates. I’m SO excited! And I’m starting by making your Jargaritas. :)
By the way, I didn’t feel “mislead”. HFCS seems to be in everything & I know it’s easy to forget – or just not realize – how many things have it.
Again, THANK YOU :)

Amber March 28, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Kris, you’re very welcome. I’m glad I could help, and I hope you let me know how that homemade concentrate is in the Jargaritas :)

Johana April 1, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I made this for my hubby and me he couldn’t stop taking them from the freezer!!! All of them were gone in 3 days! Delicious margaritas! Thank u very much for sharing, next I’m going to make mango jargaritas yuuuum!

Amber April 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Johana, thanks so much for taking the time to come back and tell me how you liked them. I wish I could be around for your next experiment with Jargaritas, it sounds great!

Johana April 3, 2012 at 11:59 AM

I will definitely let you know how they came out, haven’t had the time to do it yet but we are so overdue for Jargaritas!!!! Thanks once again for sharing! :-)

Colima May 23, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I love these. I used melon liquor instead of chambord to make melon jargaritas. Delish!

jessica May 28, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I have made these twice and while they taste really good they don’t freeze. I have followed the directions to the letter and no matter how ling I leave them in the freezer they just don’t slush up the are complete liquid. Help what am I doing wrong?

Amber May 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Jessica, thanks for stopping by. We’ve made them several times too, and never had a problem with them not freezing. We’ve actually had a problem with them freezing too much and needing to thaw out a bit to get to slushy form.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe your freezer is packed too full? Liquid can be funny that way, and if there’s not enough air circulation to go around, it won’t freeze.

If you’re dealing with a small freezer space, maybe try just putting *one* jar in to freeze, and see if it does?

I’m sorry you’ve had troubles. Let me know if you try what I suggested, and if it works out.

Andi June 21, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Excellent…………Hub and I made last night, Just took one out to taste test, and hub says they passed. When making them last night before the freeze he wasn’t very impressed. But today very good. I used the box to put them in the freezer and they froze very nice. I will be sharing these on my blog at some point, I shut the oven off for the summer taking a break……………thank you very much for a wonderful “Jargaritas” andi

Ginny July 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I found this on Pinterest and it looks awesome! Question, without mason jars, could the whole batch be frozen in either a pitcher or a freezer ziploc bag and then served into Margarita glasses??

Amber July 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Hi Ginny,

I’m not sure how either would turn out. I definitely think the larger the vessel, the more unlikely they are to get “slushy”. If you try either option, do let me know how it goes!

Amber

Colleen (Souffle Bombay) July 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I have done in both big ziplock bags as well as big containers and it ends up just fine. Sometimes I make more than the 4 dozen jars I have can hold ;). A gals gotta do what a gals gotta do!

Ginny July 23, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Happy to report I made a batch in a Ziploc freezer bag and it worked great! It was the right slushy consistency, and I was able to “stir” it around by squishing the bag a couple of times while it was freezing. It was a big hit, and will be making it again!

marla August 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Such a cute idea and they look delicious!

susanpvt August 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Someone forwarded me this link. I made THREE sets of them for our week at camp and they were so good. They have become legendary in our group and we have been sending your link out to others. We ran out of frozen limeade so we used frozen lemonade and that was delish. We also used Limoncello instead of Chambord. Such a great idea!

Amber August 20, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Susan, thanks so much for coming back and leaving a comment! I’m so glad they’ve become crowd pleasers for ya. I’ll definitely have to try the “Lemonade” version with lemonade and limoncello, that sounds incredible and right up my hubby’s alley.