Mar

Strawberry and Vanilla Cupcakes for Aimee

Post image for Strawberry and Vanilla Cupcakes for Aimee

by Amber on March 6, 2012

I’m not going to lie. I first envisioned these cupcakes for myself, for my birthday at the beginning of February. Ever since Amanda made her rose cake with vertical stripes around our birthdays last year, I’ve kind of been obsessed with the idea of pink and white striped cupcakes.

Lots of people are now making “ombre” cakes, with varying degrees of pink to white in layers of one big cake, and I truly think that is pretty, but it’s not exactly what my brain kept going back to.

Right around my birthday this year, I was just starting to bake again, and I wanted strawberry and vanilla striped cupcakes, come hell or high water.

But guess what? Both hell and high water came, and what came out of my sister’s oven that Super Bowl Sunday was a disaster of epic proportions, one that I cursed a blue streak at as I spent nearly an hour cleaning out the cupcake pan.

Twice more I’ve attempted my idea, first carefully layering pink and white batter in ever so slightly greased cupcake wells, hoping they’d stay in the beautifully perfect horizontal stripes they were poured in.

I’m so happy to say that third time’s the charm, just in time to celebrate the newest little princess in Food Blogger-land. Today we’re throwing Aimee a surprise virtual baby shower!

I remember reading Aimee’s post on Under the High Chair – the pure shock, surprise, and delight at having a little girl after two boys.

It reminded me of my own sister’s reaction when she found out she was pregnant with Ava. I think, like Aimee, she had accepted her “fate” as a boy mommy, never to brush long hair into pig tails or “play” Barbies at an angelic little voice’s request.

These days, Ava refuses to let her mother do more than offer a side braid on the day’s hairstyle, and more often than not, I’m pretty sure Chellee rolls her eyes and sighs a little internally at those Barbie-playing requests. But she also cherishes the Momma-Daughter moments (like painting each others fingernails) and I am SO excited for Aimee to have all those little moments in her life too.

When I first found Aimee’s two blogs, SimpleBites and Under the High Chair, I was struck by her pure joy and matter-of-factness approach to life. After meeting her in person last year, I can tell you for sure that what you read is what you get.

Aimee is the type of mom I hope to be some day. Infinitely fun, but firm too – and always feisty. Her boys know where she stands, but they also clearly know that Momma means fun. In the kitchen, in the garden, it doesn’t matter. I only hope that when I have kids, they see me the way her kids see her.

Congratulations, Aimee and Danny, on your darling baby girl!

My sister suggested I warn you to be ready for lots of pink, purple, and tulle.

Please visit the rest of Aimee’s baby shower guests and see what they cooked up!

Strawberry Pretzel Dessert by My Baking Addiction
California Veggie Wraps from My Kitchen Addiction
Waffle Cone Fruit Cups by Dine & Dish
Mini Berry Pies on a Stick and Kettle Corn at Food for My Family
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam by Gluten Free by Nature
Perfectly Pink Pomegranate Smoothies from Food Your Way
Grapefruit Avocado Couscous by Stetted
Quiche Lorraine from GoodLife{Eats}

Kathryn March 6, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Oh these look so pretty! Definitely a perfect baby shower treat :)

Amber March 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Thanks, Kathryn! I was definitely going for pretty :D

Aimee @ Simple Bites March 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM

You stinker! This is so very sweet; thank you so much, Amber! I’m so very touched by your thoughtful post and for organizing a virtual shower!! I’ll have a cupcake for breakfast, thank you very much..

I still can’t believe that we’ll be bringing home a little girl from the hospital any day now. Even though I’ve been folding pink sleepers (one with a ruffled lace bum) and hanging miniature dresses, it hasn’t fully sunk in.

Thanks to your sister for her words of advice. I can see we’re already heading down that road. Good thing I made my peace with pink long ago. :)

XOX
~Aimee

Amber March 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Aww, Aimee, I’m so glad we could surprise you. We couldn’t let that little girl go by without a little food blogger auntie love! Chellee never had a huge love of pink. But Ava, oh Ava. If it’s pink, purple, or red, she wants – no, NEEDS – it. It’s going to be so fun! :)

Amanda March 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Beautiful Amber!! You are so creative! These cupcakes are SO adorable. And what a sweet thing you have done for Aimee.. you have the biggest heart!

Amber March 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Thanks, Amanda. You have a pretty big heart yourself :)

TidyMom March 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM

These look and sound delicious Amber!!

So excited for Aimee and her little bundle of pink to arrive!!

Amber March 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Thanks, Cheryl. Me too!!

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray March 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM

These are so beautiful–a labor (ha, no pun intended) of love. Ah, babies on the way are so exciting!

Amber March 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

LOL. Thanks, Tara. Aren’t they though? I’m so stoked for Aimee and Danny.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Aww too pretty! Love this idea!

Amber March 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Thanks, Katrina! 3rd time’s the charm, right?

Living The Sweet Life March 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Such cute cupcakes!! I kind of want these for my birthday now :$ lol . The frosting sounds so light and delicious too.

Shaina March 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I love these, Amber. Strawberry buttercream always reminds me of strawberry milkshakes, which makes it that much more delightful.

Emily @ Random Recycling March 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Love the virtual baby shower idea! And love Aimee from Simple Bites…I’d have a very boring menu plan without her recipes.

Mrs. Graham Gardens March 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Somehow I missed the fact that you were having a little girl, Aimee! How sweet for your darling family to get to enjoy the wonders of both girl-and-boy-hood. Can’t wait for the big day. <3 Blessings!

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. March 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I will take a vat of that strawberry frosting, please. Preferably on a lemon cupcake, cause you know how I roll!

Evelyne@cheapethniceatz March 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

This is funny, I know Aimée she lives in my city and we have met several times. What a coincidence. Very nice and sweet cupcakes.

Maris (In Good Taste) March 10, 2012 at 9:03 PM

These are beautiful! Perfect and girly :)

Katherine March 11, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Katherine March 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

If I’m not a huge fan of buttercream frostings (crazy, I know, but they’re usually just too sweet for me), can you think of another kind of frosting that would taste just as good with these? They look delicious!

Amber April 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Katherine, I’m so sorry, for some reason your comment only just came through. You really need a light and fluffy frosting for the layering affect, so buttercream (or a frosting made with shortening) are the most ideal. You could also try very stiffly whipped cream and just make sure to keep the cupcakes in the fridge until you’re ready to serve them.

Vera Zecevic Cupcakes Garden September 30, 2012 at 7:40 AM

What a nice cupcake! I always searching for great cupcake recipes for my cupcakes blog and your site is like treasure chest! Really nice job!