Feb

Shiner Bock Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting

Post image for Shiner Bock Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting

by Amber on February 1, 2012

If you’re Texan, you know Shiner. Shiner, Texas, that is. Famous for one thing: Shiner Bock beer. Spoetzl Brewery, where Shiner Bock is brewed, has been in business since 1909, and is the oldest independent brewery in Texas.

Shiner Bock is Spoetzl’s flagship beer. Brewed since 1913, this dark and dangerous brew was originally considered a lent beer. Only about 30 years ago did Spoetzl start making Shiner Bock year round.

Now, we’ve discussed before that I’m not a beer drinker. But I sure can use it in a baked good. It makes me a very proud Texan to say just how amazingly diet-crash-worthy these cupcakes are.

They’re exactly the sort of dark and dangerous you want to make for a sweetheart this Valentine’s day. The beer is nowhere near as dark as Guinness, but I think it goes just as well with chocolate as the stout does.

Shiner Bock doesn’t overwhelm the cupcake, but you can definitely tell it’s there. A delicious, deep undertone that will have people asking you, “Just what is in this cupcake?”.

And don’t worry – they’re safe to share with your favorite mini-Valentines. The alcohol cooks out as the cupcakes bake.

Be sure to use a high quality cocoa powder like Scharffen Berger to achieve fantastic chocolate flavor, okay?

P.S. Love those Silicone Heart Cupcake Bakers? You can get them from King Arthur Flour.

Kathryn February 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I’ve been promising to make beer and chocolate cupcakes for ages now! These look so delicious that I might have to give it a go this weekend!

Amber February 4, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Kathryn, I hope you’re baking cupcakes! Let me know how they come out :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar February 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM

These freaking rock my world! Yum!

Amber February 4, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Hooray!

sweetsugarbelle February 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM

YOU. MADE. SHINER. BOCK. CUPCAKES. You’ve locked your place in history books!

Amber February 4, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Haha! It was so fun to do too. My sister was like, “Whoa.”

Chrissy @ The Outlaw Mom Blog February 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Great looking cupcakes! Do you think I could make these with Guinness? I’m throwing a beer-themed 40th birthday party for Hubby and these would be awesome!

Amber February 1, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Chrissy, feel free to sub Guinness. They’ll be delicious! And I think they’re perfect for a guy’s 40th. Good luck with the party!

Tracy February 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I’m kind of in love with these cupcakes. If I had an oven available, I’d be baking these up right now! Maybe next Valentine’s Day…nah, I can’t wait that long. ;-)

Amber February 4, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Aww Tracy, I think you need to buy a Breville Smart Oven and then just take it home with you. And I’d love to see you make these with sunbutter cream cheese frosting. I bet that’d be amazing!

Bonnie K February 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM

These are very pretty, and I’m definitely curious how it would taste. I’ve had chocolate mousse with stout and love it. So, I’m sure I would love this cupcake.

Amber February 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Bonnie, the beer flavor is subtle, but there. I think you’ll love them.

Ellen February 1, 2012 at 3:21 PM

We, at BIWB would very much like to make these! They are PERFECT for our readers!! Thanks for the great idea!!

Amber February 4, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Hey Ellen, thanks so much for your kind words! Have a nice day :)

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. February 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Oh man. Beer and cupcakes are two of Dan’s favorite things. You know a way to a man’s heart, and I’ll give you all the credit, promise.

Amber February 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I hope you both love them, Case x

Julie @BananasForBourbon February 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

I perfect marriage of super bowl and v-day. Love it! :)

Amber February 4, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Thanks, Julie!

Melissa @ Baking For The Boys February 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Will have to add this to my repertoire. After all I have beer bread, beer pizza crust (thx 2 u), beer braised chicken and now I have dessert! YUM!

Amber February 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Hehe, Melissa, we do love our beer, don’t we? (In food, at least!)

Nats February 6, 2012 at 6:58 AM

A great recipe for valentines day treats my husband will love the cakes he loves his beer but also the M&M’s. Not sure what beer here in the UK will be anything near your Shiner Bock beer.

stephchows February 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I’ve never heard of Bock but man these look good!!! And I’m so glad you’ll be sharing my pumpkin CC recipe with your dad! My mom is diabetic and that got me cooking lower sugar and lower fat things for her. I think white chocolate chips are a great substitute too!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. February 7, 2012 at 8:41 PM

These are so pretty!!

Erin February 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I’ve never made cupcakes with beer before. Looks like I need to change that.

shelly (cookies and cups) February 8, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I am not a beer drinker either, but Shiner makes me nostalgic for home! My husband, however, does like beer and luckily we can now get Shiner in NJ! Oh happy day :)

Baker Street February 9, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Ooh! These look gorgeous! Love the way you’ve presented them! :)

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell February 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I never thought to combine peanut butter and cream cheese! These both sound delicious and look it! :)

Heidi February 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Looks so good. A great recipe to treat my husband will love the cakes he loves his beer but also the M&M’s.

misty March 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Saw the post for this recipe, shared by Sweet Sugarbelle. I was skeptical (I’m not a beer lover) but made them for a Texas Independence Day celebration. Holy cow, they were great! (I added some homemade vanilla buttercream frosting into the peanut butter cream cheese frosting & thinned it with a dash of buttermilk.) Yum! Thanks for posting the recipe (and thanks to Sugarbelle for sharing it)!

AG February 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM

These look delicious! I wanted to make a cake instead of cupcakes…What changes should I make for two eight inch cake pans? Longer time? ? Thanks!

Amber February 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM

AG, you’d probably need a slightly longer cooking time, but only by a few minutes. Check the cakes at 22 minutes, and then again at 25. You want a toothpick to come out of the center cleanly, but leave them slightly underdone. The cakes will cook a bit more while they cool, but stay moist.