Jan

Sweet Potato and Collard Greens Frittata with Smoked Cheddar

Post image for Sweet Potato and Collard Greens Frittata with Smoked Cheddar

by Jen on January 12, 2012

Jen and I first met at the Big Summer Potluck a couple years ago. Her beautiful smile and adorable pixie haircut drew me to her immediately. Jen is passionate about food, especially beautiful cookies. I can say from experience that her cookies taste as good as they look, which is saying something, because they are stunning to behold. Thanks, Jen, for guest posting today. You’re a wonderful friend.

Hi, I’m Jen from My Kitchen Addiction, and I’m taking the reins here on Bluebonnets & Brownies.  Don’t worry, I won’t stay forever… I’m just dropping by for the day to share a quick recipe with you. After all, Amber deserves a break once in a while, right?

It’s always fun trying to come up with a recipe to share on another blog.  It’s a chance to meet up with new readers, and branch out into new things.  Amber and I have been friends for quite a while… And, much like me, she is a fan of simple recipes packed with big flavor.  So, I thought this frittata recipe would be a good one to share. It’s packed with healthy ingredients and big flavors… The perfect one-two punch for the New Year!

I find that most people (myself included!) are looking for healthier recipes this time of year.  We’ve all overindulged in sweets (please tell me that’s not just me!) and eaten lots of heavy, rich holiday dishes. And, now we’re ready for a break.  Regardless of your position on New Years Resolutions (and, I can tell you, I’m not a huge fan!), I think we can all agree that we’re not too interested in a big plate of cookies at the moment.  The problem, though, is that most of us also aren’t interested in healthy dishes that taste like cardboard.

What gets me through the post-holiday season and dreary winter months is experimenting with big flavors.  You can take an ordinary “healthy” dish like chicken, fish, or vegetables, and add a few bold ingredients, and it changes things entirely.  That’s what I did with this frittata.  I started with the healthy stuff… Eggs and egg whites, lowfat milk, collard greens, and sweet potatoes (talk about healthy ingredients loaded with nutrients!).  Then, I started adding some more interesting ingredients like chili powder and smoked chedddar.  The chili powder adds a big punch to the eggs, and smoked cheddar is one of those ingredients where a little bit goes a long way.  Sprinkling just a bit of the smokey, sharp cheese on top of the frittata makes all the difference.

It’s a simple recipe that you can make for breakfast, lunch, or dinner… And, I promise, you’ll completely forget that it’s healthy once  you take a bite!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet January 12, 2012 at 10:23 AM

This looks delicious! I love the addition of sweet potato to the frittata.

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. January 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Mmmm, I LOVE eating cardboard! Just kidding – although I might eat cardboard if it were covered in smoked cheddar. What an awesome addition to the frittata!

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery January 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Sweeet potatoes??? And smoked cheddar???? Two of my favoritest things! Yum!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen January 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM

This looks so delicious! Nice of you to step in for Amber, she’s such a sweetie!

DessertForTwo January 12, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I love that this has collard greens! And I love seeing you two work together :)

Joanne January 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Looks yummy. How many people will this recipe serve? Seems like just ONE person. (???)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 13, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Joanne – It serves anywhere from 2 – 4 people… Depending on how hungry you are!

Katrina January 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM

This is lovely! What an awesome meal!

Barbara | Creative Culinary January 13, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I had two friends here last night to prepare for a mutual post event we’re doing. Two women I would have never met without being in the food blogging world who I now consider two of my best friends. I love the stories of how blogging and/or tweeting does make for real friends.

And I love this dish. I was at one of my friends for Christmas and had the most wonderful collard greens. After an unfortunate experience of eating way overcooked collards during my years in the south, I’ve carried with me a disdain for the lowly greens. That has now changed and I look forward to using them more…this would be a perfect start!

Tracy January 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Mmm, sounds amazing! I don’t even like collard greens, and I’d try this tasty dish!

sweetsugarbelle January 16, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Just gotta say, this looks AMAZING, Amber!

Paula- bell'alimento January 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Lurve Lurve Lurve the addition of collards!

Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet January 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

What a great recipe! Looks absolutely amazing.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM

How fun to see Jen here! I love really frittatas and how incredibly versatile they are.

Kaydee February 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I’ve been wanting a way to try out collard greens… thanks for sharing!

branny February 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM

This looks fantastic. Definitely making it!

Megan February 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I made this last night (in a casserole in the oven as I didn’t have an oven-proof skillet) and it came out great! Really delicious, even though I had to substitute monterrey jack cheese and frozen collards. Yum!