Nov

Thanksgiving Recipe Roundup

Post image for Thanksgiving Recipe Roundup

by Amber on November 23, 2011

I’ll let you in on a little Thanksgiving secret: I’m not cooking this year. I know, I know, this is a serious foodie sin. But hear me out.

We’re staying in New Jersey for the holiday. And I just don’t see the point of cooking a massive amount of food (because I’m sorry, I don’t know how to cook Thanksgiving without going big) for two people. Sure, we have friends, but they’ve all got plans. And I am actually really looking forward to letting someone else handle the cooking just this one holiday.

We’re excited to head over to Casey and Dan’s for a little dessert smorgasbord in the afternoon, but before that, it’s just me and my guy, some wine and a menu prepared by Maggiano’s Restaurant.

Thanksgiving also happens to be the day after our wedding anniversary (yes, we were married on a Wednesday!), so it’s a treat that we’re spending the day alone to celebrate each other.

While I am looking forward to it, I wouldn’t have chosen Maggiano’s if they hadn’t had all my Thanksgiving day favorites on their set menu. There’s no way I’m spending Thanksgiving without green bean casserole or pumpkin pie.

Last year I cooked for my whole family, a mostly gluten free and dairy free feast to accommodate Lucas (it’s really not hard as almost all of foods we traditionally eat for Thanksgiving are naturally one or both), and I am planning to do so again next year. Nothing if not prepared, I’ve gathered for you a few of the recipes I will be featuring on our table next Thanksgiving.

Photo Courtesy of SimpleBites
A Beautiful Turkey (4 Ways)
By Aimee of Simple Bites

Photo Courtesy of The Little Kitchen
Perfect Mash Potatoes
By Julie of The Little Kitchen

Photo Courtesy of The Sensitive Pantry
Fabulous Cornbread Stuffing
From Nancy at The Sensitive Pantry

Photo Courtesy of My Kitchen Addiction
Tart and Tangy Homemade Cranberry Sauce
By Jen from My Kitchen Addiction

Photo Courtesy of TidyMom
Wild Rice Stuffing, for a delicious twist
From Cheryl at TidyMom
My favorite way to eat carrots and parsnips
By Me!

Photo Courtesy of My Baking Addiction
Iconic Pumpkin Roll
By Jamie from My Baking Addiction

Photo Courtesy of Sugarcrafter
Pecan Pie without the Pecans
By the simply brilliant Tracy at Sugarcrafter

Photo Courtesy of Good. Food. Stories.
The Perfect Dry Cider
Recommendations by Casey at Good. Food. Stories.

I am so thankful for the wonderful friends and readers Bluebonnets & Brownies has brought into my life.

A happy Thanksgiving to each of you.

Kathryn November 21, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! I will be bookmarking some of these recipes for Christmas for sure!

Amber November 21, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Thanks, Kathryn! When we lived in the UK, I always held Thanksgiving anyway. My British friends got quite a kick out of it. Especially pumpkin pie! One girl gagged. Guess she wasn’t a fan of the texture. Oy vey!

Melissa @ Baking For The Boys November 21, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Happy Thanksgiving! I have always wanted to dine out at a nice restaurant for Thanksgiving.

When my hubs and I were living a long way from our family I really enjoyed making the tiny Thanksgiving feast for the two of us. Usually cornish game hen w/ pomegranate glaze and all of the appropriate sides, oh and pumpkin parfaits. I kinda miss those Thanksgivings!

Amber November 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Melissa, I like your ideas! This is why you’re smarter than me. I didn’t even think of a cornish game hen.

Cookbook Queen November 21, 2011 at 9:28 AM

They all look great!! Hope you and your sweetie have a wonderful Thanksgiving!! xoxo

Amber November 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Thanks, Kristan! I hope you guys have a wonderful Thanksgiving too. Four whole days with your boys, huh? Lucky girl!

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. November 21, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Happy early Thanksgiving! Can’t wait to see you two in a few days.

Amber November 21, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Hooray for friends and desserts :)

Katrina November 21, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving!

Delishhh November 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM

We usually try to go away for Thanksgiving to somewhere warm – i love that. This year no more travel for me until the baby comes and we are going to my sister-in-law. Have a fabulous time away!

JulieD November 21, 2011 at 1:41 PM

wow, what I would give to have an in real life potluck with this food and these bloggers. Thanks for sharing my mashed potatoes, Amber. I hope you and your family have a really awesome Thanksgiving!!

Aimee @ Simple Bites November 21, 2011 at 8:42 PM

INcredible looking menu. I wish it was Thanksgiving all over again here in Canada!

Thanks for including a few recipes from Simple Bites. And Happy Anniversary!!

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray November 22, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Happy Thanksgiving! I love Maggiano’s. :)

Tracy November 22, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I want to sample each and every one of those recipes! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!! :-)

the wicked noodle November 23, 2011 at 9:16 AM

I don’t think I’ve ever found a Thanksgiving recipe I didn’t love!