Nov

Homemade Biscoff Cookies

Post image for Homemade Biscoff Cookies

by Amber on November 9, 2011

I don’t really remember the first time I had a Biscoff biscuit clearly. I know it was on a Delta flight, but where or whence I’d come or gone I’ve long since forgotten.

That happens when you spend two years in a long distance relationship plus work travel, I think. The flights start to blur together, the checkpoints and passport stamps seem blasé.

Sitting here now, working from home, having not traveled abroad since last October, no flights anywhere since May – well, I think maybe I was a bit spoiled back then! Biscoff cookies, though, they take me back to that time.

To the flights and the longing for my guy on the other side of the world, and of having so many adventures together. Kinda fun, right?

Not long ago I posted a recipe for Biscoff Bites using Biscoff Spread. When I posted it to my facebook page, some lovely person (I wish I could say exactly whom – FB won’t let me go back that far in posts) linked me to a recipe for the original cookies.

The original post appears on Mum in Bloom, a blog written by Sarah, but I don’t think it was Sarah that left the comment. Regardless, my thanks to both Sarah and that commenter for pointing me at these delicious little homemade morsels of WIN!

The homemade Biscoff Cookies are wonderful soft and hot out of the oven, but if you allow them to cool for at least an hour, you get the crispness you expect from the store-bought cookies.

The dough is very similar to a shortbread. When Sarah blogged them, she baked them in a casserole dish and ended up with a rather thick cookie, which I imagine had a very shortbread like texture.

But I love the thin, crunchy, melt in your mouth texture of store-bought Biscoffs as much as their brown-sugar-cinnamon flavor, so I rolled the cookies out like pastry dough and used a small biscuit cutter to make perfect little crunchy disks.

Make sure the dough is nice and thin – no more than 1/4″, so that you get a crispy cookie.

Cookbook Queen November 9, 2011 at 8:43 PM

How cool is this?? I don’t think I’ve ever seen homemade Biscoff cookies, but this is absolutely genius!! I bet they are wonderful warm.

Amber November 10, 2011 at 10:50 AM

They certainly were, Kristan. I had to force myself out of the kitchen for a solid hour so I would stop eating them!

Tracy November 9, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Oh how I love Biscoff cookies! This homemade version looks amazing. Maybe I’ll even dunk them in some Biscoff spread just to be extra ridiculous. ;-)

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. November 10, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Biscoff cookies in Biscoff spread? Now you’re talking crazy!

Amber November 10, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Now you’re talkin’!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction November 9, 2011 at 9:53 PM

I have yet to taste Biscoff cookies or the fabulous spread everyone is so smitten with. I will have to give these cookies a try!

Amber November 10, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Jen, I think you’ll love them. And they could very easily be your new go-to cutout cookie for decorating. They’d be insane for that!

Kathryn November 10, 2011 at 4:31 AM

I love these crisp little cookies! Wonderful!

Amber November 10, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Thanks, Kathryn! I always smile when I see your gravatar. :)

Kathryn November 10, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Thank you, that’s such a sweet thing to say!

Katrina November 10, 2011 at 7:37 AM

I really need to try this biscoff stuff. It sounds so yummy, and these cookies look awesome.

Amber November 10, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Katrina, that spread is like.. life changing. But after you’ve tried the store-bought version, you could totally make your own with these cookies.

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray November 10, 2011 at 7:44 AM

These look fabulous! I love how thin they are–beautiful!

Amber November 10, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Thanks! I loved how the original blogger made them, but I thought we could make them more authentic to the original by using a cookie or biscuit cutter.

Kristen November 10, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Totally going to try these beauties!

Amber November 10, 2011 at 10:58 AM

The kids are going to love doing the cookie cutting, Kristen! And then you can make homemade biscoff spread with the leftovers – bake it up anyway and then throw it in the food processor!

Roxana November 10, 2011 at 8:30 AM

I have to try this miracle food everyone swoons over. These cookies looks like a great way to start with!

Amber November 10, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Roxana, they are just so delicious and light and crispy. Sorta lifechanging!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids November 10, 2011 at 8:57 AM

These look amazingly delicious. I will definitely be trying these for my littles.

Amber November 10, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Thanks for stopping by, Natalie! I think your littles will enjoy them loads. And so will you :)

DessertForTwo November 10, 2011 at 9:42 AM

These look amazing! Gotta have ‘em!

Amber November 10, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Thanks, ‘tina! :)

Living The Sweet Life November 10, 2011 at 9:57 AM

You have no idea how thankful I am for this recipe – – I’ve heard so many people talking about biscoff cookies, and I’ve never been able to come across them. I will definitely have to give this a try

Amber November 10, 2011 at 11:29 AM

So glad I could help out. Once you taste these cookies, you’re going to be in love!

d.liff @ yelleBELLYboo November 10, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I just flew back Delta from Minneapolis a few weeks ago (http://yellebellyboo.blogspot.com/2011/10/minnesota.html) and had some Biscoff cookies. It made me think of all the Biscoff-related recipes coming out, but I’ve never seen Biscoff spread in a store. I’m so happy I can make the cookies now from scratch!

Amber November 10, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Minnesota looks like it was a blast! I ended up using the product locator on the Biscoff website to find the spread. Turns out the only grocery store in our area to carry it is one that I don’t really like at all. So I go there JUST for the spread, and I buy 3 jars at a time :)

d.liff @ yelleBELLYboo November 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Thanks for the tip! I’ll definitely check out the product locator!

JulieD November 10, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Now what if you sandwiched biscoff spread in between two of these cookies? These look awesome, Amber!!

Amber November 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Crazy crazy girl. You may just be an evil genius.

JulieD November 10, 2011 at 1:22 PM

LOL, you’ll have to give me credit. ;) ehehe (cuing the evil laugh)

Deb November 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM

We just began our Biscoff obsession a few months ago. When I purchase a few packages of the cookies, they vanish! Not sure what will happen when I try this recipe!

Amber November 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Danger danger! But they’re so perfect for Christmas cookies. You could give them away? :)

Barbara | Creative Culinary November 10, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Someone must be on a mission…saw my tweeting and sent me to the same post. This is a bit of a whoo whoo moment; mine are in the oven. I’m a bit scared. I could barely control myself with them. They are the PERFECT coffee dipping cookie.

Amber November 10, 2011 at 7:17 PM

How did they come out???

Barbara | Creative Culinary November 10, 2011 at 7:26 PM

The first mini batch was fine but your rolling does lend them to having smoother edges than my method of rolling them into balls and then pressing them. But it’s easy. My 2nd little batch I used a cocktail glass with a cut crystal design on the bottom and I liked them better with that bit of decor. Now I think I must make some frosting from the spread and pull it all together in one perfect sandwich cookie. I’m only testing 6 at a time. That forces a limit of how many I can eat. That’s a real fear since I ate the entire box of cookies I bought in one sitting!

Delishhh November 10, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Too funny but these are pretty much the only thing i will eat on an airplane unless it is an international carrier :)

Amber November 10, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Hah! I know – I always take my own food, but I always leave room for the Biscoffs!

Nisrine November 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM

These look amazing. I love how thin they are!

Amber November 10, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. They’re wonderfully crispy and delicious :)

Jamie | My Baking Addiction November 10, 2011 at 6:07 PM

You are fully aware of how much I love Biscoff cookies – I think I need to make these then sandwich them together with Biscoff Spread! Yes, that is indeed my plan! Love these.

Amber November 10, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I personally was thinking they’d be awesome with a little chocolate buttercream…

Mercedes@Satisfy My Sweet Tooth November 10, 2011 at 10:11 PM

I just purchased my first jar of Biscoff spread yesterday! I had never tried it! I think I would like to make some of these cookies and then sandwich the spread in between them!

Amber November 11, 2011 at 9:16 AM

That seems to be a theme! I don’t have any left to give it a try, but I bet they’re amazing.

SweetSugarBelle November 15, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Okay! I am sold, between you an Bridget, I think I better try this Biscoff stuff! =)

Hazel December 21, 2011 at 8:12 AM

I am addicted to Biscoff so am excited to try making these! Thanks.

Toya | The Limerick Lane February 7, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I made these tonight!! Biscoffs are my weakness so I cut the recipe in half because I didn’t want to eat too many. I will say the dough was a little tough to roll out. No matter how much flour I put on my rolling pin, the dough would stick. I ended up using my hands to roll the dough and then smash it. It worked out. The cookies came out great. I can’t wait to eat them tomorrow when the cookies get more crisp.