Oct

Candy Surprise Chocolate Chip Cookies

Post image for Candy Surprise Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Amber on October 19, 2011

I’ve been baking a lot of cookies lately. Don’t really know why. I’m that kind of baker.. I get into a mood, and I’ll continue baking in a certain ‘genre’ until I’m bored with it.

Don’t get me started on the “Summer of Scones” last year. I may have been classified as ‘obsessed’ by my husband.

One cookie I always have on hand around here are Jamie’s Rolo Cookies. I’m not ashamed to admit that my husband’s favorite cookie isn’t a recipe of my own making. Rolos happen to be his favorite chocolate candy, so combining said candies with cookies = pretty much his most favorite thing ever.

One thing that this recipe of Jamie’s taught me – any and all cookie doughs get better when you let them get really cold again before you bake them. It’s been an exercise in patience, and not one that I really relished.

But at the end of the day, who wants all the effort of baking a cookie, only to end up with a mediocre cookie? Or even a good cookie. If I’m going to the trouble to bake it, I want it to be a great cookie.

Since I started making these, there’s been another little side effect. I no longer see the grocery store candy aisle as just the “land of the forbidden”. Now, I see it as an aisle full of tasty ways for me to bump up recipes, like the Peanut Butter Snickeroos I made using Peanut Butter Snickers.

Of course, candy stuffed cookies can’t be an everyday treat. That would be blatantly unhealthy. Right?

That’s where the genius of this recipe comes in. Because the dough gets refrozen after shaping, you can simply store the pre-made dough balls in a freezer safe ziptop bag, and bake up one or two cookies at a time, whenever you need a treat.

The way I see it, if Pillsbury and Toll House can do it, so can I. And without all the extra preservatives.

The secret to making candy stuffed cookies lies with the freezer as well. Simply freeze whatever candy you want to bake inside the cookie dough so that it doesn’t turn into a gooey mess when baked.

Personally, I love Dove chocolate. It’s one of the nicer “everyday” chocolates you can find, and James and I are convinced that they’re the same thing as Galaxy chocolate in the U.K., which was always one of our favorites.

Dove makes these little squares, called Promises. The milk chocolate Promises are absolutely magical. Almost like a chocolate fortune cookie, each Promise holds a little message on the underside of the wrapper. And it’s just the right amount of chocolate for a pick me up, or for fitting inside a chocolate chip cookie!

Enjoy the small things in life. Like cookies.

For these cookies, I tried both Milk Chocolate Dove Promises and Hershey Bliss White Chocolate pieces. I preferred the solid milk chocolate (an oddity for me, anyone will tell you I’m normally a white chocoholic), but I also have plans to try the Hershey Bliss Peanut Butter & Milk Chocolate pieces too.

Jamie’s original recipe makes about 30 cookies. I make them a little larger, and always bake from frozen, so I’ve adjusted the recipe accordingly.

These aren’t just James’s favorite cookies. One of my more recent visits home, I made these for my sister and her family. We baked up a half dozen, and I left the rest of the prepared dough balls in her freezer. She baked up a couple at a time as treats for the kids or herself, and said it was like the gift that kept on giving long after I’d gone back to New Jersey.

You could make these cookies with all sorts of candy combinations. I’m thinking the white chocolate squares would be better with a little oatmeal and dried cranberries mixed into the batter instead of milk chocolate chips.

I’d love to hear what cookie combinations you’d like to try.

Baker Street October 19, 2011 at 9:24 AM

ah.. your cookies look absolutely scrumptious! Love the candy inside the buttery dough!

Tina@flourtrader October 19, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I imagine these gems are quite addictive-I completely understand how they could be a favorite-yum. That picture is very enticing with the cookies and milk!

Kathryn October 19, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I love the idea of stuffing candy inside a cookie, they must be awesome to bit into!

As an aside, I think you’re right about Dove being the same thing as Galaxy. IIRC, there are some European countries where it’s sold as Dove too.

DessertForTwo October 19, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Make no apologies for your kitchen obsessions! I love ‘em!

I’ll have to puruse the summer of scones…

Lori @ RecipeGirl October 19, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Yummy!! It’s a great idea for sure. Jenny had me thinking of all kinds of things when she did her stuffed oreo cookies. I loved putting a reeses pb cup inside pb choc chip cookies.

JulieD October 19, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Wow! I love this trend of stuffing chocolate candies into cookies, brownies, etc. Love!

Jenny October 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I make something very similar using thin mints. I’m going to have to try these. YUM Amber!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. October 19, 2011 at 3:10 PM

omg these rock!! Just posted to pinterest

Katrina October 20, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Mmm nothing like a warm chocolate chip cookie. Love it!

Tracy October 20, 2011 at 9:31 AM

One of my favorite things to do is to make up a big batch of cookie dough, and then roll them into balls to stick in the freezer. Then, we can bake up a few at a time so we can have fresh, homemade cookies whenever we want! I haven’t tried any candy-stuffed cookies because it’s hard for me to find candy that isn’t processed with peanuts/nuts, but I will definitely be trying these with baking chunks!

SMITH BITES October 20, 2011 at 12:54 PM

we ALWAYS freeze cookie dough . . . because moi would eat an entire batch if moi baked them all off!! and can i just say that James is spot-on with his candy preferences??? rolos = swoonworthy for me . . . and these cookies ain’t too shabby either . . .

Cookbook Queen October 20, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Amber these look perfect!! We love a good cookie over here, and I know that these would be a fast favorite :)

Miss October 20, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I love that you keep them in the freezer and pop them out for fresh cookies! The chocolate centers must be delicious.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen October 21, 2011 at 2:30 AM

Cookies ready and waiting for me to bake?! Love that.

SweetSugarBelle October 21, 2011 at 11:55 PM

So long as it’s a cookie, that’s for me!!!

Tickled Red October 22, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Oooo…the suprise in the middle rocks! I just love these Amber :)

sara October 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM

A great idea! This looks totally delicious and I love the idea of being able to bake just a few at a time. I would love to try this with those mini Reeses.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction October 26, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Ooh… These look really good! I shouldn’t be reading your blog this early in the morning. Suddenly my yogurt for breakfast just isn’t cutting it. I love to put milk duds in cookies… They hold up pretty well, but spread out and soften up just enough that they don’t hurt your teeth!

Liz July 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I was so excited to win these on Erin’s bake sale!!! Love your hints about freezing the candy…I must make these beauties!!!

Amber July 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Liz, thank you so much for bidding! It made me feel pretty proud to know they went for $50! I’m making the dough today, but it gets infinitely better when it sits in the fridge for 24 hours, so I’m going to let it do that, and hope to ship them on Tuesday. You’ll have to let me know what you think!

P.S. You said dark chocolate or milk chocolate, but Dove just came out with Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Promises. Would you like me to use those?? Let me know if you get this any time today. If I don’t hear from you, I’ll just use the plain dark chocolate promises.

Amber

Liz July 15, 2012 at 4:19 PM

“I” would pick the dark chocolate sea salt caramels but since I want my picky family to actually eat them (not just me), I know they’d like a more plain Jane variety :) So plain dark chocolate will be perfect!!! Thank you, Amber!