Oct

Secret Recipe Club: Stromboli

Post image for Secret Recipe Club: Stromboli

by Amber on October 10, 2011

I’m finding it a little hard to believe we’ve already come around to another Secret Recipe Club posting, because that’s supposed to mean that another month has gone by. Surely that’s not the case, right?

Secret Recipe Club

When it came time to choose my recipe from Everyday Mom, I took my time, looking through lots of old posts – even from last year.

I like that Kim involves her kids in the kitchen, and isn’t afraid to throw out the crazy last minute ideas she sometimes has for dinner. Stuff to keep her family well fed and happy, even in crunch time. Like this Stromboli.

As Kim says, “I am a fan of anything that hides some of its ingredients and allows the use of those random bits of food that you have leftover at the end of the week. This week we had some marinara sauce, one uncooked chicken breast, a head of broccoli and some mozzarella”.

That is exactly how I approached the stromboli I made for The Brit and me. We had some mushrooms in the fridge on their last legs, and what I knew would be a few extra sausages from our favorite grilled sausage and maple polenta meal that I already had in the weekly dinner plan. Add in some marinara and mozzarella, and as far as I’m concerned, you’ve got a party.

I’d also been meaning to try this Olive Oil Dough of Jamie’s for ages now. Though, a word to the wise, guys: When you’re getting a headcold, and find it hard to focus entirely on something? It might be a good idea to have a partner-in-crime double check your ingredients. Jamie’s recipe called for 1/4 cup of olive oil. I misread and added 3/4 cup! I saved the dough, but it took an additional three cups of flour!

A lot of people don’t know that my very first job at the age of 15 was in a little family owned pizza place. Making the dough and then the stromboli brought back so many memories for me of that first job. The smells, the feel of the dough in my hands, and in the end, the gloriously delicious smells coming out of my oven!

Kim, thank you so much for the dinner inspiration. I hadn’t made stromboli in years, and we’re definitely going to be making it a lot more often around here. Both of us truly enjoyed this old favorite, and The Brit is excited for his lunch leftovers for a change!

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. October 10, 2011 at 9:45 AM

So now you just have lots more dough for oozy strombolis – holy crapoly, does that picture look good. I seriously want to invest in smell-o-vision for the interwebs.

Melissa@IWasBornToCook October 10, 2011 at 10:01 AM

That looks delicious. I LOVE stromboli, and hardly ever make it. I need to change that soon :)

Lisa~~ October 10, 2011 at 10:48 AM

My husband has been asking for stromboli, now that I’ve seen yours I’ll have to give it a try.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Amber October 10, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Lisa, I did see your post, and left a comment. It’s great!

Lisa~~ October 10, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I just saw your comment, thank you so much for your kind words too. I love when I go out and read all the posts until I find the blogger who made something from my blog instead of reading the comments on my blog first so I’ve been out checking out all the wonderful recipes.

Off to see more posts and decide what to make for dinner.

Tina@flourtrader October 10, 2011 at 11:34 AM

This looks like the true example of an Italian stromboli! Love that picture of all the filling with the crispy wrapper..I love pizza and this is the next best thing. I never saw this original recipe and I am glad you chose it for SRC. I have saved this recipe. Buzz!

Angie @ Bigbearswife October 10, 2011 at 2:20 PM

mmmm I love making a god Stromboli! This looks really really good

Angie @ Bigbearswife October 10, 2011 at 2:20 PM

haha that was suppose to say a GOOD Stromboli lol

Tessa October 10, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Love how both pizza and stromboli lend themselves to using up the randoms hanging out in the fridge. They are one of our favorites in our house!

sara October 10, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Oh my gosh, this looks so good! Love all that gooey cheese…looks so tasty! :)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts October 10, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I love stromboli! These one looks amazing! What a grea tpick for SRC!

Amanda October 10, 2011 at 3:45 PM

OMG my mouth is watering! I haven’t made Stromboli in a couple of years, thanks for the reminder!

Katherine Martinelli October 10, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Mmm I love stromboli – and I love the idea that you can throw in whatever you have handy!

Delishhh October 10, 2011 at 6:13 PM

WoW i have not have stromboli in years – i can’t even remember when i had it last. But this looks amazing. I now know what i am making for my next dinner party. Fabulous.!

Megan's Cookin' October 10, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I can see this could be come a family favorite. Pinned it easy reference.

Trisha October 10, 2011 at 11:45 PM

This looks so good, I’ve never made stromboli before, I can’t wait to try this out!

Ruchi October 11, 2011 at 4:41 AM

Looks great…. am definitely going to try this one!

Laura Rees October 11, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Mmm you’ve inspired me. I have some crust in the freezer and some sausage in the fridge. Perfect idea for dinner!

Tracy October 11, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I’ve never made stromboli before, although I have made many a calzone. These look divine and I can’t wait to try them!

sweetsugarbelle October 12, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Looks wonderful, goof or not…I need a recipe checker too, lol!

Kim October 12, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Your stromboli looks great, I am glad you enjoyed it.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction October 12, 2011 at 8:56 PM

This looks so tasty! And, don’t you just love that pizza dough flavor from KAF? One of my favorites :)

Cookbook Queen October 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM

This looks so so good!! Stromboli is on Jon David’s school lunch menu at least once a month, but I know yours is a hundred times better!!

Desi October 18, 2011 at 2:49 PM

I love stromboli. Never made my own at home though. Now I know that I can… great SRC pick :)