It seems we can’t get away from natural disasters these days – earthquakes, hurricanes, tsunamis and droughts. I remember when I was a kid, South Texas got hit with some pretty devastating drought years where water restrictions were quite strict. I always remember my Nan lamenting the loss of her grass, her tomatoes, and the strawberries in those years.
This year has been unlike any other, for so many people. Here on the East Coast, Hurricane Irene devastated more areas than I care to count. In our own yard, a tree fell and took out my car (totaled), the retaining wall, power, and internet in one fell swoop. We have insurance though, our health, and our home is still in one solid piece. We’re going to be okay.
As much as I live in New Jersey, though, my heart is always in Texas. The tales of drought, dryness and wildfires this year have been chipping away at me, feeling helpless from so far away. If I were home, I’d go help out in a shelter, or bake and cook lots of stuff for the firefighters working tirelessly to try and save what and who they can.
You see, firefighters are my extended family. My brother-in-law is one, has been a member of the San Antonio Fire Department for most of his and my sister’s marriage. I feel an extra kinship to those guys and the work they’re trying to do in Bastrop, Austin, and the surrounding areas right now.
Image Courtesy of Time.com
The people of Central Texas are hurting right now. Many folks’ homes have turned to ash and rubble. They have no choice but to rebuild every inch of their lives.
Image Courtesy of Time.com
We can do something to help. All of us. Even though we’re far away.
All those things take money. Even just a handful of days this month without my house in working order reminded me just how much money that stuff can take.
I’ve asked several of my favorite companies to partner with me here today to create a raffle to benefit the Red Cross of Central Texas.
Below, you will find 3 prizes, each worth at least $150. Wait, hold on – Scharffen Berger Chocolate, Miss from Miss in the Kitchen and Shawnda from Confections of a Foodie Bride are awesome! Below you will find 6 prizes, ranging in value from $16.95 to $225.
Chicago Metallics Package
Estimated Retail Value – $165.00
KerryGold Irish Cheese & Butter Gift Basket
|(2) wedges Kerrygold Swiss Cheese
(2) wedges Kerrygold Blarney Castle Cheese
(2) wedges Kerrygold Aged Cheddar
(2) wedges Kerrygold Reserve Cheddar
(2) wedges Kerrygold Red Leicester
(2) packs Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter
(2) packs Kerrygold Unsalted Butter
(2) packs of Kerrygold Garlic and Herb Butter
Estimated Retail Value – $150.00
Keurig Special Edition Brewing System
|From Keurig’s website:
“The Special Edition Brewing System brews a perfect cup of coffee, tea, hot cocoa or iced beverage in under one minute at the touch of a button. Featuring chrome accents and a blue, backlit LCD display, the Special Edition brewer allows you to program water temperature, set the digital clock and Auto On/Off. With the choice of three cup sizes, the Special Edition brewer offers a removable drip tray to accommodate travel mugs.”
Estimated Retail Value – $149.99
New Additions !
Scharffen Berger Chocolate Baking Set
|The Scharffen Berger® Chocolate Maker “Everything Basic Baking Set” includes the staples needed for fall baking season: Sweetened and Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder, Roasted Cacao Nibs, and three 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bars. Created with the world’s best cacao beans that are perfectly fermented and roasted, Scharffen Berger® chocolate will give a rich, elevated taste to any sweet or savory recipe.
(1) Sweetened Natural Cocoa Powder, 8 oz.
(1) Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder, 8 oz.
(1) Roasted Cacao Nibs, 6 oz.
(3) 70% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bars, 9.7 oz.
Estimated Retail Value – $60.00
Miss in the Kitchen Cotton Flour Sack Towels
|Miss from Miss in the Kitchen has kindly added a set of her handmade towels to this raffle. You can choose from any of the designs found on her website. Miss is originally from Texas, and her towel designs truly speak of Cowboys, Texans, and the Country life. The towels are an eco-friendly replacement for paper towels in any kitchen, and beautiful to boot.|
Estimated Retail Value $16.95
Kitchen Aid 5 Qt Empire Red Stand Mixer
|From Shawnda at Confections of a Foodie Bride
Shawnda has graciously offered to purchase and ship an Empire Red 5Qt Kitchen Aid Mixer to the raffle ticket winner!
325-watt mixer with 10 speeds; 5-quart stainless steel bowl
Estimated Retail Value – $225.99
How To Enter
Please choose “Disaster Relief” from the choices. Once you have donated, you will receive an email confirmation of your donation from the Red Cross. Forward this email to:
For every $5 donated, you will receive 1 raffle entry.
Edited to add:
Please note, it has been brought to my attention the Red Cross website requires a minimum donation of $10.
This means $10 gets you two entries. If you donate $25, you’ll get 5 entries. The more you donate, the more chances you get to win.
I will return by email your “ticket numbers”.
– This raffle fundraiser has been approved by the American Red Cross of Central Texas.
– The raffle will close on September 21st, 2011 at 12:01 A.M. EST
– Entries will be input into a spreadsheet in the order received. Raffle ticket numbers will be sequential.
- Liking these companies on facebook or following them on twitter will not increase your chances of winning, but it sure would be nice of you to do so anyway, as a Thank You for their donation.
– Winners will be chosen via a random number generator.
– The first winner chosen will get to choose from the 6 prizes. The second winner chosen will choose from the remaining 5 prizes. The third winner chosen will choose from the remaining 4 prizes. The fourth winner choose from the remaining 3 prizes. The fifth winner chosen will choose from the remaining 2 prizes. The sixth winner chosen will get the remaining prize.
– Each winner will have 24 hours from my initial email to respond with their prize choice or a new winner will be chosen.
– Each prize will be shipped directly by the company to the winner. If your prize is the KerryGold gift basket, you must be available for delivery, as it is a perishable prize. KerryGold will work with you directly to arrange a date that best suits you.
– You must have a United States delivery address to win. This is due to customs costs and international food shipping regulations.