Sep

Secret Recipe Club – Malt Chocolate Cupcakes

Post image for Secret Recipe Club – Malt Chocolate Cupcakes

by Amber on September 12, 2011

It’s time for another Secret Recipe Club post! I’ll tell you, I really love how being part of the club forces you to get to know someone’s blog, writing style, and photography style. It can be too easy to hit the StumbleUpon button, like what you see, but then move on in your everlasting quest to get to the end of the Internet.

Secret Recipe Club

This month I was assigned Savvy Eats – All About Smart Food & Fitness. Written by Julie, she is passionate about living savvy – being smart about what you eat, how you exercise, and about continuing to learn. That’s something I can definitely get down with – I’m a firm believer that you should never stop learning!

Sidebar: It’s a secret wish of mine to name my future little girl Savannah, and then call her Savvy. How adorable is that as a nickname?

Where were we? Oh yeah – leave it to me to find what is probably the most unhealthy recipe Julie’s dared to post – Chocolate Malt Cake. There was never a chance I’d start with anything else from her blog once I saw that though. You see, The Brit loves anything and everything malt. How could I resist the opportunity to make a chocolatey dessert like this when I knew it would make his day?

I turned Julie’s Chocolate Malt Cake into cupcakes. And because I’m lazy, I simplified her marshmallow filling a little bit. I have to tell you, this turned into one SUPER delicious cupcake. I added malted milk balls for garnish, and really love how they look like a jaunty little top hat of an accent.

I used Scharffen Berger baking chocolate in powdered and melting form, and it is just gorgeous. If you have the chance, I highly recommend getting some for any chocolate dessert you make.

I hope you’ll make these for your favorite person – for a birthday, like Julie did – or just because, like I did.

Melissa@IWasBornToCook September 12, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I love anything malt flavored. These look really good!

Amber September 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Thanks so much, Melissa! They were very tasty.

Stefanie September 12, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Yum…. I love malt! Delicious looking cupcakes and I love the malt ball accent! :)

Amber September 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Thanks, Stefanie. Those were a last minute addition that I think just put those cupcakes into cuteness overload.

JenniferA September 12, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Oh, wow! They are beautiful! And I bet they taste as good as they look. I’m with The Brit, bring on the malt! :)

Amber September 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM

They were extra chocolately and extra malty – SO good!

Isabelle @ Crumb September 12, 2011 at 10:02 AM

These cupcakes are just so adorable. I love the malt ball topping… it’s perfect. :)
I’m going to have to see if I can hunt down some malt powder to try these out. There’s no way I could pass up a recipe that includes a Maple Marshmallow Filling! Yum.

Amber September 12, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Isabelle, I highly recommend ordering it directly from King Arthur Flour. Their product quality is excellent, and they ship pretty quickly. Thanks for visiting!

Debbie September 12, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Hi there….I had your blog this month. I love it! I know I’ll be back….to find other great stuff to make and bake.
I’ve had such fun with the Secret Recipe Club.

and that Tortilla Soup really was a great soup. I can’t wait for leftovers tonight….yes, I did procrastinate and not make it until yesterday. But as I said, it was the perfect day for soup.

Amber September 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Debbie, thanks so much! I’m headed over there to comment when I finish work tonight. I did read it this morning, and I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I love that soup too, and you reminded me that I haven’t made it in a long while.

Nancy @SensitivePantry September 12, 2011 at 10:18 AM

You always make food that makes my mouth water. The whole cupcake looks good but that icing! Mmmm. Plus, now I am tempted by 75 other recipes that all call for me to click and find out more. Going to be a busy day.

Amber September 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Haha! I’m glad, Nancy. I’d love to see you make a gluten free version of this – though I’m not sure malt is gluten free? Maybe we can figure out another flavor that mimics it? Let’s work that out!

Tina@flourtrader September 12, 2011 at 11:01 AM

You made a great choice, in scanning the ingredients I was happy to find coffee listed. Having malt, chocolate and coffee together in a cupcake certainly gets my vote. However, your pictures certainly had an influence! Well done.

Amber September 12, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Tina, I almost always replace water with coffee when it comes to chocolate desserts. It just brings out so much more of the chocolate flavor!

Katrina September 12, 2011 at 11:39 AM

These sound heavenly! Love this!

Amber September 12, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Thanks so much, Katrina! I’ll tell you, they were a big hit around here. I gave the majority of the cupcakes to the guy who finally came to remove that darn tree, and he was muy happy with me! :)

susie September 12, 2011 at 12:46 PM

We call my husband Mr. Extra….and extra malt in his malt is always his request. He will be shocked if I make these for him…(I have him on a diet!)

Amber September 13, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Susie, that cracks me up. You should so make him these as a surprise. We all need a treat now and then, even when we’re on a diet. What we do around here is to have one or two of whatever I make, and then give them away – the dentist, the vet, my husband’s coworkers.. it makes us quite popular!

Lisa September 12, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Love malt anything, whether it be vanilla or chocolate. These cupcakes not only look amazing, they sound amazing. Great choice for the SRC!

Amber September 13, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Thanks, Lisa! It had been ages since I’d made cupcakes, so it was a lot of fun too.

Andrea {From the Bookshelf} September 12, 2011 at 3:32 PM

They look great! GOod pick for the SRC! I’m up next week with Group B

Amber September 13, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Thanks, Andrea! Can’t wait to see your post!

Desi September 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Looks like alot of steps but I’m sure it’s worth it. I bet these taste delectable! Nice photos too… they have me drooling!

Amber September 13, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Desi, they really weren’t that bad. With the simplified marshmallow filling, it was really only as much work as filling 2 different pastry bags – one for marshmallow cream, and the other for frosting. If you didn’t want to make your own frosting, you could always use a can from the grocery store, and add malt powder and a little milk to it to make it the right consistency.

sara September 12, 2011 at 4:45 PM

OMG these cupcakes look amazing! What a great recipe. Gorgeous photos – these look so tempting!! :)

Amber September 13, 2011 at 8:00 AM

Thank you, Sara! What a lovely compliment. They certainly were tempting. After eating a few cupcakes each, I pawned the rest off onto the guy removing our Hurricane Irene fallen tree. Two hours later, my husband forlornly asked me, “You gave them ALL to Ed?”

Lisa~~ September 12, 2011 at 7:03 PM

I love malt flavor yet never think to use it when baking. Your cupcakes look wonderful, wish I had one or two right now.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Amber September 13, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Thanks, Lisa! I loved your Welsh Cakes post. I need to make those.

Deeba Rajpal (@vindee) September 12, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Gosh those look wonderful. Love the malt in there and the topping. Those malt balls look precious on top!

Amber September 13, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Thanks, Deeba! They were kind of a last minute addition.. I even had to run to the store for them.. but they seemed like the perfect ‘cap’. :)

Cookbook Queen September 13, 2011 at 9:00 AM

These look too perfect, Amber….and that filling!! So so so cute and gorgeous pictures.

And now I want twenty of them.

For breakfast.

Amber September 13, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Well, that’s always an option. You are a queen, after all. Surely you can ordain malt chocolate cupcakes a suitable breakfast?

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking September 13, 2011 at 10:20 AM

LOVE malt. These cupcakes have gotten a hold of me!

Amber September 13, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Lynne, I’m glad you like them! They certainly got a hold of my husband too. He was not so happy when I gave the extras away.

Tracy September 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM

I love how the frosting looks like it just melts in your mouth. I love anything malt too. These would be perfect for a birthday party, but I probably wouldn’t be able to wait and I’d make them just because. Lovely photos, too!!

Amber September 13, 2011 at 9:12 PM

I think you should make them just because. They’re better that way!

Julie @SavvyEats September 13, 2011 at 12:53 PM

So glad you enjoyed! The cupcakes look beautiful. I especially love the malt ball on top–so cute.

Amber September 13, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Thanks, Julie. My husband says they’re going to be his birthday cupcakes too – he’s already planning for March!

Jenna September 13, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Those cupcakes look so good!! Especially the fluffy frosting . . . I just want to dip my finger into it–a million times. Mmmmmmm.

Amber September 13, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Jenna.. you got a camera in my kitchen? Cus that may have happened. Maybe. I’m not telling.

Katherine Martinelli September 13, 2011 at 6:38 PM

These are so cute! I love the whoppers on top :-)

Amber September 13, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Thanks, Katherine! They were a last minute addition, but I think they make the cupcakes what they are.

Word Of Deliciousness September 13, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Malt flavor is the best. I love your cupcakes!

Amber September 13, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Well thank you so much! We loved them too :)

Amy Tong September 14, 2011 at 3:24 AM

This looks so good! I want one, no at least two, right now! hm…would be lovely with a cup of coffee!.

Moinette September 14, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Those are so adorable! They do look like little hats, so cute!

xx

Jamie | My Baking Addiction September 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM

These look absolutely amazing! My dad would totally flip to get his hands on a batch of these!

Kim McCallie September 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM

These look delicious! I love the malt ball on top! I’d like to invite you to share your recipe on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction September 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I keep seeing malted milk powder in recipes all over the place… I think I need to get my hands on some now. I haven’t touched the stuff since I worked in an ice cream parlor (all throughout high school) and made my share of malted milkshakes. I just remember it being sticky and hard to get off of your hands once it got wet.

Anyway, these cupcakes look glorious, and I think they may have changed my mind. But, I can promise you I won’t be making any milkshakes. :)

gloria September 25, 2011 at 11:39 AM

These look amazing!!I love those cupcakes!! gloria

Suzanne September 25, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Oh, my! These make me swoon! Love the flavors and the malt ball on top is perfect! GREAT SRC pick!

Ash November 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM

What is Half & Half? And where can i get them? Thanks!

Amber November 28, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Hi Ash,

Half and half is a milk product we get here in the US. It’s equal parts heavy cream and regular milk. You can make your own fairly easily. Use whole milk, mix 3/4 cup of whole milk with 1/4 cup of heavy cream to approximate half & half.