Sep

Apple Butter Bundt Cake

Post image for Apple Butter Bundt Cake

by Amber on September 8, 2011

It’s no secret that I love fruit butters.

So this summer, when my cute-as-a-button friend, Jen from My Kitchen Addiction posted her recipe for Peach Butter Bundt Cake, I was all over that. Except I didn’t have any peach butter. And a distinct lack of will to make peach butter that week.

Luckily, Jen’s pretty generous and also likes to can. So when we were together at the Big Summer Potluck, she brought me a spare jar of her own just so I could make that beautiful cake.

But it’s turning to fall now, and the base recipe of that bundt cake is so versatile – pretty much any fruit butter would work. You can use my recipe for Spiced Apple & Pear Butter or even Jen’s Spiced Cranberry Apple Butter, or you can pick up a jar of regular apple butter in the super market, found near the jams and jellies.

Whatever fruit butter catches your fancy, you can make this bundt cake with it. Excellent to take to any social gathering.. or your dentist’s office for an early morning appointment. I swear the hygenist was more gentle on me because of it!

DessertForTwo September 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Oohhh yum! What a great idea to use fruit butter in a cake! Trader Joe’s sells some decent fruit butters.

How are y’all doing after the storm? I think about ya everyday :)

Amber September 10, 2011 at 7:22 AM

Trader Joe’s sells some delicious fruit butters! We’re doing okay. I plan to do a blog entry about it, but I’m going to wait until after the fundraiser I have planned for the Texas Wildfire victims. Thanks for thinking of us, Tina. <3

Cookbook Queen September 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I LOOOOOOVE apple butter. So comforting and autumn-ey. Which, if you ask ME, all the BEST foods are Autumn-ey. Except for margaritas. But that’s a drink so it doesn’t count.

Anyways….your cake looks amazing…GORGEOUS photos, girl!!

Amber September 10, 2011 at 7:25 AM

Kristan, I so completely agree that *all* the best foods are Autumn-ey. I mean, come on. Autumn gets Pumpkin, and therefore is the defacto winner forever and ever! And btw – margaritas are an all season drink. Invented in Texas, so I think I can claim to be an authority on the subject, right?

Thanks – I really loved the slice shot. It made me proud :) The cake is really tasty, but ya gotta thank Jen for that one!

Tina@flourtrader September 8, 2011 at 1:46 PM

This is truly inspiring, there is a country store here that sells all kinds of flavored butters. I have saved this recipe. Your picture of that slice is tempting as well as stunning. Great post.

Amber September 10, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Thanks so much, Tina. I can’t wait to hear what fruit butters you try!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen September 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Sounds wonderful. I see jars of apple butter popping everywhere recently, must mean that fall is indeed underway.

Amber September 10, 2011 at 7:33 AM

It must not yet be in Cali, Sylvie, but on the East Coast, it was weird. It just came in all of a sudden over night. Last weekend, all 3 days of it were absolutely sultry. Tuesday rolled around, and it was freezing, rainy, and grey!

Tracy September 8, 2011 at 5:30 PM

What a gorgeous cake! I love making my apple-maple butter every year, and now I can’t wait to find desserts to use it in like this one!

Amber September 10, 2011 at 7:35 AM

Isn’t it awesome, Tracy? That Jen of ours sure is a smarty-pants.

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. September 8, 2011 at 7:43 PM

I am a firm believer in winning people over with food gifts… hilarious that the dentist didn’t call you out on your sweet tooth, eh?

Amber September 10, 2011 at 7:35 AM

My dentist has a HUGE sweet tooth. I sent them chocolate chip cupcakes without frosting, so James called them muffins. They were ALL over them. Too funny.

Katrina September 9, 2011 at 7:09 AM

This cake sounds super tasty. Yum!

Amber September 10, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Katrina, it was perfectly moist and wonderful. I sliced and flash froze half of it to eat at later dates, until Hurricane Irene killed my power. So sad!

Baker Street September 9, 2011 at 12:28 PM

2 cups of apple butter! YAY! Sounds perfect A! Can’t wait to try it.

Amber September 10, 2011 at 7:49 AM

The crumb is *perfect*, An. You’re so creative, I can’t wait to see what you do to jooj it up!

Katie | GoodLife Eats September 9, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I still have a few jars of Vanilla Spiced Pear Butter that I canned last year. I am DEFINITELY giving this recipe a try soon. Love it!

Amber September 10, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Um hello, I will be making that recipe. It would be *fantastic* in this cake. Maybe with some cooked pears in a brown sugar/calvados sauce for pouring over the top? I. die.

Sarah at Mr. Food September 9, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Oooh, does this get me in the mood for fall! Can’t wait to try both apple butter varieties…and also your tip for the dentist’s office :)

Amber September 10, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Haha, thanks for stopping by, Sarah!

sweetsugarbelle September 10, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Gorgeous cake! Gorgeous!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction September 12, 2011 at 10:16 AM

This looks beautiful, Amber! I think yours actually turned out better than mine. And, I would honestly prefer apple to peach. If only I had some leftover apple butter hanging out on the shelf. I will just have to make some now. :)

Rene September 14, 2011 at 10:05 PM

This is so timely! My dad and I are going apple picking once the apples come in and now I have something to do with the apple butter. Besides just eating it by the spoonful :).

Jamie | My Baking Addiction September 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM

This sounds absolutely wonderful – but now I am totally craving peach butter!

bethany June 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Made this tonight for a summer barbecue, and it was a hit! Everyone loved it, and I think I saw one of our friends cut themselves off a sizable chunk to take home :) Thanks for the recipe – I’ll make sure to make this again the next time I make an overabundance of apple butter :)

Erin @ Texanerin Baking September 29, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I made this last week as cupcakes and they were SO good! Nice and moist, even with some “healthy” changes. :) Next time I’ll have to make enough to actually take pictures. I gobbled them up too quickly this time.

Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Amber October 1, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Erin, thanks for letting me know that this works out well as cupcakes! I can’t wait to see your healthy changes, since hubby is all whole grain these days.