Aug

Rudy’s Creamed Corn

Post image for Rudy’s Creamed Corn

by Amber on August 7, 2011

This post originally appeared on July 28th, 2009. It continues to be the most popular way that people find Bluebonnets & Brownies, and it’s still one of my favorite ways to bring “home” to our dinner table. About a week ago, I hosted 4 bloggers in my home for the weekend of Big Summer Potluck. I served this for dinner on Thursday night with barbecued chicken and Borracho Beans. It was a feast! With barbecue season nearly at a close, I wanted to make sure you have time to put this on your Labor Day party menu. You’ll be asked for the recipe for weeks to come. And because this side dish comes together in the slow cooker without much effort, it’s the perfect side dish for the grill. No oven, no mess, and it can be served right in the slow cooker on the table. Enjoy!

If you’ve been through San Antonio, Austin, Schertz, or Leon Springs in the last 10 years or so, you might have heard about the “worst barbecue in Texas”, Rudy’s Bar-B-Q.

First, let me go on record that I don’t know anyone from Rudy’s, and this isn’t an endorsement they’ve asked for. This is simply my favorite barbecue eatin’ place back home. Their smoked turkey is to die for, but I always have the most ridiculous time choosing between the turkey and the brisket. Who doesn’t love a good Texas brisket?

Sorry, my mouth just watered a little, and it’s 8 o’clock in the morning.

But the one thing at Rudy’s that is never to be missed is their creamed corn. The beans are good, the peach cobbler divine (and all served in pint or quart servings), but the creamed corn.. well, I could eat it for breakfast, and I could eat an entire quart on my own. And I’m not ashamed to admit it.

For years, my family has been trying to deconstruct what it consists of, because it’s certainly not like any creamed corn you’ve ever had before. And it’s nothing like that horrible sludge you get in the canned vegetable aisle.

It’s full of sweet corn kernals that pop in your mouth with a fresh picked taste, and the sauce.. no, gravy.. melts in your mouth and makes you think of Thanksgiving and Easter and long afternoons spent cooking with your grandma.

I haven’t been home, or to Rudy’s, in a while. So the other week, when a friend tweeted about trying Rudy’s on her roadtrip, I realized I had to try to find a recipe and add it to our barbecue menu for the weekend. We were having about 30 people over, and I just knew it would be a big hit. I made what I thought would be enough for 50 people. Yeah… there was none left by the end of the party. I really wanted leftovers for a change, too.

The interweb is great for things like this. I managed to find a “light” version on RecipeZaar, and then just fattened that bad boy up (I wanted to be as authentic as possible for my first attempt).

I don’t know what more I can say about this. It’s an inspired side dish, and it’s good alongside barbecue or a roast dinner (as the English like to say). I nearly cried when I tasted it straight out of the crock-pot. A little bit of Rudy’s, right there in my kitchen. You’ve really got to try it to believe me.

If you’re feeling especially inspired, you could get fresh ears of corn from the farmer’s market, and strip them of the kernals, instead of using frozen corn.

Come join the fun at the My Baking Addiction and GoodLife Eats Holiday Recipe Swap sponsored by OXO.

SLDunn May 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM

When I was going through cancer treatment 10 years ago, a lady at the Hope Lodge where I stayed gave us this recipe, except hers only had butter, cream cheese and corn. We still make it to this day and you are right, there are NEVER any leftovers!! I really want to try your recipe though. I like the idea of the corn being even sweeter with the addition of the sugar and slow cooking it in a crock pot!! So glad to have found your recipe/site!!

Chelsea May 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I am so in love with Rudy’s creamed corn. I just about cried when I found this recipe. Will be making for dinner very soon and I know I’ll be enjoying every last bit of it!!!

Amber May 16, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Chelsea, I really hope you love it as much as we do. According to all the comments, it’s not necessarily a replica of Rudy’s recipe. But I gotta be honest, I think it tastes pretty much dead on. We never have any leftovers, that’s for sure. Let me know how you like it!

Maria Paula June 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM

This sounds so amazing ….I can’t wait to make this! I just have one question…how many servings does the recipe yield?

Amber June 16, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Maria,
I know I already emailed you back directly, but for other readers’ use, I’m posting a reply here too. This makes at least 10-15 servings as a side dish, but is also easily halved.

Cristina July 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I’ve never had this type of creamed corn before. Stumbled onto this from Pinterest and decided to make it for our Canada Day BBQ. It was a huge hit, thank you! It will be going into my regular rotation of potluck and party dishes.

Sheri July 10, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I saw this and just had to try it! We just had it for supper and it was a huge success. Thank you for posting the recipe!

Amber July 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Sheri, I’m so glad you loved it! It’s one of our favorites, and for good reason. Thanks for taking the time to come by and leave a comment.

Marie July 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I lived in San Antonio for 9 years, and Rudy’s is the BEST BB-Q I have EVER eaten. My husband is military, and we have lived all over the world, so that is saying a lot about BB-Q :)
I love the creamed corn recipe you have posted, but for a Tex-Mex blend try adding jalapenos and garlic salt. The flavor is AMAZING!

Amber July 27, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Marie, those sound like faboosh additions! I completely agree about Rudy’s being the best BBQ. Every year, I pine for them at the NYC Big Apple BBQ. Salt Lick is amazing and delicious, but no one touches Rudy’s smoked turkey.

– Amber

Katie July 27, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I just found this on pinterest and I’m so excited! Back when you could still bring outside food on planes, my dad brought me a quart of this stuff from Rudy’s (from Houston to Nashville) because he knew I would love it. And he was right! Can’t wait to try!

Amber July 27, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Katie, as far as I know, you can still bring outside food on planes. I do all the time.

I hope you come back and let me know how you like this recipe. As you can see from the comments, there’s a lot of divisiveness about this recipe, but I personally think it’s as close as we’re going to get without making a roux and a giant batch of corn.

jeanne September 4, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Tastes just like Rudy’s!! Mine was done in 3 hours though

robert frame October 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

visited rudy,s in austin all the way from scotland turkey &brisket were fabulous as was the
creamed corn.goin to give it ago

em November 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM

If you were going to make 1/4 of this recipe, would you still cook it for 4 hours on low?

Amber November 14, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Hey Em,
I think you could probably cut the cooking time down to an hour or two. I think it would depend on the size of crock pot you used as well. The first time you make it, just watch it and make sure there’s no burning.

steph November 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Could I use canned sweet corn drained vs frozen? I was stationed at Lackland AFB and fell in love with Rudys! The chopped and creamed corn yummm! Now we are in Fl, we miss Rudys!

Murrey November 20, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Being from South Texas, I eat at Rudy’s alot. The cream corn is fantastic. I am making this for another side on thanksgiving. I did not think about Rudy’s corn, but I can’t wait for this result. Thanks for the post.

David November 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Love Rudy’s but we are in California. This recipe is a keeper! We just used it for Thanksgiving. The only twist was we sprinkled shredded parmesan cheese over it right before serving. Great crock pot recipe!

Amber November 23, 2012 at 8:35 PM

David, thanks so much for taking the time to come back and tell me you liked the recipe! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Parmesan is definitely a great idea at the end.

Anita December 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Can’t wait to try this recipe! We were introduced to Rudy’s famous creamed corn when we went to San Antonio for our daughters graduation from the Air Force and have talked about it ever since. Almosts worth the trip to Texas to eat at Rudy’s!

becki December 9, 2012 at 9:04 AM

it has been many many years and I’ve visited San Antonio and had Rudy’s creamed corn I couldn’t quit eating it I can’t believe I now have the recipe for it thank you so so much!

Judy December 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

You can add green chilies to this recipe for a wonderful change.

Laverna December 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I have used this receipe many times, I thought I copied it by taste from eating at Rudys. But I guess I scimped on the cream cheese and butter. Adding some green onion at the end is nice too.

barbara dougherty January 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I’m a horrible cook to say the least but I followed this reciepe.and itcame out delicious! My whole family loved it

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies January 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Aww, Barbara, you just made my week! Thanks for coming back and taking the time to tell me so.
Amber

Kristin January 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I’m also a born and bred Texas girl (from Austin) who currently lives out-of-state. We miss our TX BBQ like crazy and when I found this recipe I was so excited to serve it along with the brisket & ribs my brother had shipped to us! Thanks for making our meal even more like “home”! It really does taste just like Rudy’s! Yum!!

Amber January 20, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Kristin, nothing makes me happier than comments like this. I know exactly what you mean – adding in the sides that we crave next to a brisket is a sure trip home, without the airfare! Have a look through the archives – I also have a recipe for Borracho beans that will have you dreaming of home too. I love to serve them with the the Rudy’s Cream Corn whenever we’re having “Texas” day around here.

Kristin January 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Will definitely try that Borracho bean recipe! Thanks for the tip! My 5-year-old told me tonight that she thought she could “eat the whole pot!” of leftover creamed corn! Good to see evidence of her “Texas” genes! :)

Liz March 7, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Oh Amber
I have never been to Rudy,s so have never tryed the cream corn but
this sounds so good I have to try it, headin to the store today.
I think i will try some pepperjack cheese in it for alittle kick. I would like to know have you ever frozen any of the cream corn, would love to have frozen for a quick fix at dinner.

Camela Neumann March 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I tried your creamed corn at the top of the page and it was delicious. I passed the recipe around at work and so far it seems to be a hit.
We became winter Texans for a month for the first time and was introduced to Rudys and their cream corn.. Needless to say I went back to the hotel right away and did a search and found your recipe. First thing I did when I got home was make it. Who cares if it was not exact. Tasted like it to me if not better. Good job for sharing it.

Phyllis March 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Glad I saw this!! I lived in San Antonio for 8 years and I believe we went to Rudy’s at least once a week! I miss that so much, but still order the sauces online! I can’t give that up!

Madison May 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM

There’s a rudy’s down the road but figured id try it for a bbq. Everyone loved it and thought it was better then Rudy’s as it wasn’t as sweet as the original. ironically though, I had to add more sugar as it wasn’t sweet enough and a little more pepper. To each his own but a very good recipe! Thanks for sharing. Using it again today!!

Tina May 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Wow, just brought this to a BBQ at work…….so many compliments!! Thanks for the great recipe, I will be making this again, a must try. I think it is much better than Rudy’s!

Amber May 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Tina, thanks for taking the time to come back and tell me! I totally love this recipe, and I’m happy to hear it was a hit. Nothing like knowing people enjoy the food you made with your own two hands, right?

Deb July 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I love creamed corn…I cut off my own fresh corn and freeze…so could you tell me how many cups in a pound of corn?? Thanks!

Amber July 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Hi Deb,

I believe there are about 3 1/3 cups of frozen corn to every pound. This will change if the corn is fresh, because the corn will weigh less when not frozen. You might be better off using a kitchen scale to weigh your frozen corn before adding it to the recipe, if you can, to make sure your ratios are right.

Thanks for stopping by!