Jul

Peach, Strawberry and Baby Plum Sangria

Post image for Peach, Strawberry and Baby Plum Sangria

by Amber on July 26, 2011

I hope you guys enjoyed all the guest posts last week. I am so grateful to have such good friends willing to offer up their hard work to fill in. That’s really what life is about, isn’t it? Good friends, there for you during the tough times.

One thing about going home to San Antonio in late July that I should have been prepared for, was just how dang hot it is! I haven’t been home in late July since probably 2004, and I think I just plumb forgot the deep, dark heat that wafts its way through the city at that time of year.

As only a foodie will understand, I threw the best darn party/wake/remembrance for my Nanny that you can imagine. It was just like a party she would have thrown when she was alive – full bellies, lots of laughter, music, and because Nan never turned down a good cocktail – drinking.

It really helped to dive into all that hands-on work, and especially so in her kitchen. When you’ve got the ugly green bowl she’s used since before you were born in your hands, full of party dip to be mixed, suddenly things come into perspective.

To quote the poem the pastor read to us at the graveside, “You can remember her and only that she’s gone or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.”

Well guys, that’s what I’m going to do. And Nan would definitely approve of this Sangria. She adored plums in any fashion. A few weeks ago, James and I were at the farmers market, and my favorite farmer says to me, “Would you like my last pint of sugar plums? They’re super sweet,” something inspired me to say yes. I don’t normally gravitate toward plums, though I always enjoy them.

Then started a search for “sugar plum” recipes, which only resulted in cookie recipes. I was so confused! Luckily, I know that crazy smart foodie over at Good.Food.Stories. Casey to the rescue, she asked a few friends, and we realized that they were in fact, baby plums.

During that trip I had also purchased peaches to make Amanda’s Peach Bread, and a pint of organically grown strawberries that were the sweetest I’ve tasted yet outside of Poteet. Of course, ever over enthusiastic, especially when it comes to peaches, I’d bought way more than Amanda’s peach bread called for.

I decided I should use the peaches and plums together. And wouldn’t it be rude not to invite strawberries to the party?

The wonderful thing about Sangria is you can add any sort of fruit you’d like to it, especially white wine sangria. We also added limes, a little ginger beer, and a bit of Pimm’s to liven things up. If you can’t find Pimm’s, it can be left out.

Please excuse the butter and spare corn in this shot! Post barbecue, I was full of good food and good sangria, and for some reason, thought it was arty!

Katrina July 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Yum! This sounds perfect!

Amber July 26, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Katrina, it was great with some perfectly cooked steaks and grilled corn on the cob.

Barbara | Creative Culinary July 26, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Lovely drink and yet another tribute to your beloved Nan. Cheers to her!

Amber July 26, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Thanks, Barb. I think you’d love this sangria.

Tracy July 26, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I have been dying to make my own Sangria since summer started, and I am practically giddy looking at this recipe! I can’t wait to try it, and I also wanted to say that it’s such a lovely, lively drink – a wonderful way to cherish your Nan!

Amber July 26, 2011 at 6:45 PM

We’ll have it this weekend :)

DessertForTwo July 26, 2011 at 2:52 PM

You had me at baby plum :)

Glad you’re back safe and had a good visit. Sorry again for you loss. Just keep Nan on your mind while you’re cooking and while you’re writing and you will be comforted. The reason I write so much about my grandparents is because I miss them so much. Writing about them and reliving the memories are a great source of comfort for me.

I can imagine the heat of SA slapped you in the face! That’s how I feel when I fly home, too!

Amber July 26, 2011 at 6:46 PM

What’s really funny about the heat, Tina, is that it was hotter in NJ while we were gone! 97 in San Antonio, 108 in Newark.

bridget {bake at 350} July 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM

That sounds just perfect for the Texas heat. Cheers to your Nan! :)

Amber July 26, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Thanks, Bridget! We were in Houston for what was possibly the shortest layover ever.. but I did think of you and wish we could hang out!

Miss July 26, 2011 at 4:00 PM

This is a perfect drink to enjoy with those you love. I love the idea of plums, strawberries and peaches together. Glad you made it home safely. I understand forgetting that southern heat. We visited Arkansas this summer and I swear I’ve never sweated so much in my life! Made me appreciate home in Wyoming a little more!

Amber July 26, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Thanks, Miss x

Erin July 26, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Have to try this sounds delicious!

Amber July 26, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Thanks, Erin! We really enjoyed it.

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. July 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Were they called baby plums or cherry plums? I can’t remember now. Regardless of what they were called, I wholeheartedly agree that they’d be awesome with Pimm’s.

Amber July 26, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Oh Casey, I think they’re both. Who knows! The darn farmer called them sugar plums, so who could really say. ;)

They were definitely awesome with Pimm’s.

Rene July 26, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I love the butter and corn in the shot!

My mom makes a few cookies every Christmas that are her mom’s recipes and her, my uncles and grandfather always sit around and share stories about my grandmother making them.

Amber July 26, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Haha, thanks Rene. Isn’t it wonderful to hear stories of the past? I learned this past week that my grandmother was an excellent singer when she was young. I never knew that. It’s so wonderful to pick up tidbits of the people who built us, isn’t it?

Rene July 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM

I found out a couple years ago that my dad’s mom was a opera singer once-upon-a-time. Totally weird! Too bad I didn’t get any of that talent. Cats cover their ears when I sing :P

SMITH BITES July 26, 2011 at 7:51 PM

i am smiling as i read this dear Amber – your Nan was a good woman, who raised good kids and even gooder (hah!) grandkids – she is smiling on you Amber . . . carry on girl, you’re doing fine!

Amber July 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Thanks, Deb. That means a ton. We’ll miss you this weekend. You and The Professor both. <3

Jamie | My Baking Addiction July 26, 2011 at 8:12 PM

This is just beautiful! What a beautiful quote from the pastor . I am so proud of you for celebrating her life.

Amber July 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Thanks, Jamie. It really was a lovely poem. I’ll share the whole thing on here someday.

Sylvie@GITK July 26, 2011 at 8:24 PM

So glad you were able to celebrate your Nan’s life with your family and that you continue to honor her memory through your blog. Your strength is inspiring.

Amber July 26, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Thank you, Sylvie. It was important to me to throw a big ol’ party, because that’s exactly what she would have wanted – for us to celebrate the life she led, and that she and my grandfather are finally reunited.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction July 26, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Sangria is one of my favorites! This looks amazing, and it sounds like it was the perfect way to celebrate your Nan! Can’t wait to give this recipe a try… Darron is a fan of Reisling, so I know he’d enjoy it, too.

Amber July 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Thanks, Jen! I think Darron would LOVE it.

Shaina July 26, 2011 at 10:50 PM

I love a good sangria, and I love the line from that poem. Can’t wait to hug you in just three more days!

Amber July 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Me too me too me too!!

Sanjeeta kk July 27, 2011 at 12:02 AM

How refreshing and full of lovely colors this Sangria has! Yes I am gonna make for my loved ones and will say the same too :)

Amber July 27, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Thanks so much, Sanjeeta. Let me know how you like it!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray July 27, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Yum! This looks like a perfect summer drink!

Amber July 27, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Thank you, Rachel. It’s really refreshing and the perfect use of produce that might be slightly “past its prime” but plenty juicy.

Kristen July 27, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I think after the weeks you’ve had, you deserve the whole pitcher!
Gorgeous pictures, my friend. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

Amber July 27, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Thanks, Kristen. I definitely did enjoy a few well deserved cocktails last week. Nothing like a little self medication to help along the grieving process, right? Love ya!

Michelle July 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Think I will make this for our party at the weekend, this looks delish.

Amber July 28, 2011 at 8:15 AM

That’s so kind, Michelle! Let me know how everyone likes it.

Melissa @ Baking For The Boys July 27, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Isn’t wonderful to have food memories. As I was shucking corn yesterday I thought back to my late grandfather’s farm and eating corn straight off the cob during harvest. It was so sweet and delicious.

Its nice to have those tiny flashes of the past to relive those special moments with the ones no longer with us.

Here’s to you and your Nan.

Amber July 28, 2011 at 8:16 AM

I love that story, Melissa. Thank you so much.

Jay July 28, 2011 at 6:00 AM

looks utterly delicious…yummm
first time here..love ur space..
very interesting recipe collection …with excellent clicks..
Am your happy subscriber now..:)
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

Amber July 28, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Thanks, Jay! I will!

sweetsugarbelle July 29, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Yes! I guess all Nanny’s approve of cocktail hour! I approve of the arty shot. It’s not just a pretty picture, but a memory, and those are the best pics of all!

So here’s to Nanny’s and smiling at the good times. For always loving the ladies who would buy the eight-hundred dollar dishwasher, because it’s “said to be able to wash a car if it could” only to wash every dish before putting it in there!

Gorgeous sangria, my friend! Off to SA this weekend. I’ll be thinking of you! Tell us where to EAT!

Elizabeth Ennis August 29, 2011 at 3:49 PM

This was my first experience with Pimms. At the liquor store everyone was quite surprised to hear I was making sangria with Pimms but to my benefit this was an amazing recipe! I added apples and soaked the fruit over night! Scrumptious on a hot nashville day!