Jul

Sour Cream Cinnamon Muffins

Post image for Sour Cream Cinnamon Muffins

by Amber on July 5, 2011

When it comes to baking, sometimes I find it fun to let the ingredients guide me. Like these gorgeous sour cream cinnamon muffins. Our adorably delicious friends, Chris & Karen, from over at The Pêche, stopped by to borrow our spare laptop the other day. As a thank you, Chris brought us a bunch of goodies when he picked up the computer, including Humboldt Fog goat cheese (nom!) and Green Valley Organics Sour Cream (double nom!).

You might be thinking I’m off on a tangent again – who gets a surplus of sour cream and immediately jumps to baking? I never claimed to be a by-the-book sorta girl, what can I say?

It might help you to know I also had these Cinnamon Flav-R-Bites from my adventures in the land of King Arthur Flour. Sour Cream and Cinnamon? Maybe not an obvious flavor combination, but I promise you – a delectable one!

Mary Jane from KAF called these cinnamon bites “rabbit food”. They look like little pellets. It’s not the chocolate chip consistency you might be imagining. Instead, they’re like concentrated little nuggets of pure cinnamon. Let them sit in your batter for 10-15 minutes before you bake the muffins up. They’ll soften and become concentrated little bursts of cinnamon throughout the muffins.

If you don’t want to let the batter sit, that’s okay too – the cinnamon bites stay crunchy, and add a cinnamon burst with a nut-like crunch.

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. July 5, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I’ve gotta try some of those rabbit pellets next time I do a KAF order. And how funny that you didn’t think enchiladas suizas or something when faced with a sour cream abundance! (That’s where Dan’s mind would have gone.)

Amber July 5, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Casey, we had so much sour cream – like 3 containers ready to go – it was going to take more than enchiladas to overcome it. We also had those, baked potatoes, and beef stroganoff last week!

Tracy July 5, 2011 at 3:47 PM

These sound SO good, like a coffee cake in muffin form! Delicious!

Annapet July 5, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I think I need to run around and burn some energy! I’m scrolling up and down this page like Ritalin is NOT working ;-). Let me share this to the world before I get distracted yet again!

Aimee @ Simple Bites July 5, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Amazing! Now I’m super curious about cinnamon bites.

Jen Schall July 5, 2011 at 6:34 PM

These sound amazing! I just love cinnamon coffee cake, so I know I’d love these. Yum :)

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray July 5, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Oooh. Muffins are my downfall. They’re my excuse to eat cupcakes for breakfast. Cinnamon sugar just makes it even more decadent. :)

Shaina July 6, 2011 at 1:27 AM

I love cinnamon-flavored muffins, bagels, everything. These sound delightful.

SMITH BITES July 6, 2011 at 9:09 AM

like seriously LOVE these Amber – am absolutely fascinated with the ‘burst of cinnamon’ – red hots or hot tamales were some of my favorite candies as a kid . . . sigh . . .

Barbara | Creative Culinary July 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Sounds like these ‘little’ things pack a powerful punch. I’ve never heard of or seen Cinnamon Flav-R-Bites but now think I need to find them!

Katrina July 6, 2011 at 12:26 PM

These sound lovely! Great idea to use up sour cream!

Cookbook Queen July 6, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I love the sound of those cinnamon “pellets”. I will have to give them a try for sure!!

Your muffins sound FAB. :)

Sylvie@GITK July 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Those cinnamon bites sound good, and trust me my mind would have gone straight to baking with a surplus of sour cream as well!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets July 7, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I love muffins and these look wonderful! Also, a cupcake carrier is a genius purchase. I always say I should get one, and never do. Instead I end up cutting boxes and lining them with foil…you would think I would learn….
Aimee

Julie July 7, 2011 at 5:26 PM

A cupcake carrier would mean my husband could take my cupcakes in to work, which would mean I wouldn’t eat them all. Win win!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray July 8, 2011 at 7:52 AM

These look so good, wish I would have had some for breakfast this morning!

sweetsugarbelle July 11, 2011 at 1:25 AM

These sound wonderful. I like the same kind of preserves, except I have a thing for the fig!!! I’m going to have to check out the cinnamon bits…Never seen them!

Sanjeeta kk July 18, 2011 at 4:34 AM

These muffins look so gorgeous! How do you make those liners?

Amber July 26, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Sanjeeta, I purchased those liners on the Bake It Pretty website. They appear to be out of stock, except for the mini yellow ones. http://www.bakeitpretty.com/categories/Baking-Cups/Specialty-Baking-Cups/

Sanjeeta kk July 26, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Thanks for the link…Ooohh they have a pretty collection of muffin liners!