Jun

Boozy Sweet Cherry Pie Filling

Post image for Boozy Sweet Cherry Pie Filling

by Amber on June 28, 2011

Since making that SoCo Caramel Popcorn last week, I’ve really been on a booze-infused recipe kick.

This past Saturday, The Brit and I perused our local Farmer’s Market and I zeroed in on some beautiful sweet cherries right away. Now, I know you’re supposed to use Sour Cherries in traditional pie filling, but I like Sweet Cherries just as much. I grabbed two pints quickly, forking over my $6 happily. One beautiful pie was on its way to being.

Now, I’ve never made pie filling before. So while I was doing research into what all I needed to include, I first pitted all the cherries using my handy dandy Oxo Cherry Pitter (I love this thing, it’s so fun and satisfying!) and then left them to macerate in a bowl with a few pals.

I started with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Then I thought, “What the heck”, and threw in a 1/4 cup of vanilla infused Southern Comfort. (I started making my own vanilla with the leftover bottle of Southern Comfort from the popcorn, but it hasn’t been sitting long enough to be *vanilla*).

The final bit of inspiration came when I opened the spice cabinet and spotted Lemon Extract. Half a teaspoon later, the scent coming from the cherries was boozy, bright, and perfect.

I let that set up for about half an hour, and then started to make the actual filling based on a few different recipes.

Use whatever pie crust you like (store bought, your favorite recipe, whatever takes your fancy). You can use this filling in empanadas, fried handpies, and even cobbler.

Jen Schall June 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM

Yum!! I just made cherry pie yesterday, but I wish I had seen this first. Mine was just plain old regular cherry pie! Guess I’ll have to go hunt down some more cherries :)

Aimee @ Simple Bites June 28, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Ahhh. This looks incredible. I’m SO craving pie right now. Two thumbs up, Amber!

Tracy June 28, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I need this pie in my life as soon as I can get my hands on some cherries! I always use sweet because I’ve never been able to find sour ones where we live. I must admit that I’ve never had Southern Comfort before, but now it’s definitely going into my next bottle of homemade vanilla. :-)

Nancy @TSP June 28, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Keeper! I can almost taste it. We usually use freshly picked tart cherries for our pie but this really would be best with sweet cherries. There’s nothing as good as cherry pie–and you just one-upped it.

Katrina June 29, 2011 at 1:19 AM

I love cherry pie! This sounds amazing!

Sasha June 29, 2011 at 4:45 AM

Holy yum, i love So-co and its so rarely used in recipes! I love your adaptations to this pie, i bet it is so flavoursome :) loverrlly

martha June 29, 2011 at 5:12 AM

My first feeling I have while reading your recipe, is..
I Love You!!!!!

It looks delicious…
easy recipe, good directions…
I will write when Ill try this, and I know I can use this filling for empanadas, fried handpies, and even cobbler, I just want to say thank you, and bless you…

The way to win a man’s heart is through is belly….
I have no doubt you won his!

NanaBread June 29, 2011 at 9:59 AM

You had me at boozy. I’ll bet this would also be great with amaretto. Mmmm…. is anything better than pie? I don’t think so. Okay, maybe gooey brownies.

Amber June 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Good call on the amaretto. That would be a fantastic switch in! Pie and brownies are just about equal in my dessert-fevered brain. Now I want brownies for breakfast!

Amber x

Muffin Tin June 29, 2011 at 10:23 AM

This looks delicious, and just in time for cherry season. Thanks for the recipe.

Aimee June 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM

THIS. LOOKS. SO. GOOD.

i am loving cherries lately, but have a hard time tracking down the sour ones. this would be a great way to make it with the sweet ones…and make it boozy.

love that word.

Jamie | My Baking Addiction June 29, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I am such a sucker for cherries, this pie filling sounds divine!

Miss June 29, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I am totally craving cherry pie now. I love that you call it booze! I’ve got to make my vanilla too.

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. June 30, 2011 at 9:37 AM

I’m obsessed with my OXO cherry pitter too… now if I could only get some sour cherries into my kitchen! Think I could plant a tree in my backyard?

Jillian July 1, 2011 at 3:15 AM

Brilliant!
I’m also in love with boozy sweets and LOVE your view on adding more! he he!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes July 1, 2011 at 9:42 AM

What a perfect pie for the 4th of July!

Rhonda Cunningham-Phillips July 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I love cherries, so I’m saving this recipe! Thanks!

Kristal L. Rosebrook July 13, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Best Pie Ever!!!

Diane Robinson (Wild Dryad) August 6, 2011 at 10:05 PM

WONDERFUL!

I made this today and used orange brandy and a teaspoon of almond extract. I’m glad I made a double batch ’cause I’m sure to finish off the first one tonight.