May

‘Ohana Breakfast Bread

Post image for ‘Ohana Breakfast Bread

by Amber on May 18, 2011

It’s no secret that I’m a huge Disney enthusiast, or as my friend Amanda Tinney says, I’m simply a “Disney Peep”.

One of my favorite restaurants at Walt Disney World is located at the Polynesian Resort, or as us Disney veterans refer to it as, “The Poly”. The Polynesian was created to pay homage to all the beauty that Hawaii has to offer. It’s verdant green gardens and waterfalls throughout the resort can really make you feel like you’re on an island somewhere in the Pacific.

James’s and my very favorite Disney movie is Lilo and Stitch. Lilo and Stitch is a film set in Hawaii, about a little misunderstood Hawaiian girl and her pet alien. If you loved How to Train Your Dragon, you’d probably love Lilo and Stitch too. It’s written by the same pair of hilarious writers, writers that the Disney Studios foolishly let go.

The major theme throughout Lilo and Stitch is the Hawaiian idea of “Ohana”. To take the line from the movie, “Ohana means family, and family means nobody gets left behind.”

When the Polynesian was in need of a new restaurant, Ohana was the perfect name and idea. You’re greeted by castmembers who immediately refer to you as “cousin” (another Hawaiian custom). All the fabulous food is served family style, and boy oh boy is it fantastic stuff.

Fire grilled pork, prawns and steak are brought to your table churrascaria style. You’re served salad with a pineapple soy vinaigrette, and really fantastic vegetable stir fried noodles (they’re my favorite!).

But the star of this show, as far as I’m concerned, is the Ohana Breakfast Bread. It’s served at the morning meals, and then later in the day is turned into the dessert for the dinner meals and includes a bananas foster sauce and freshly made vanilla ice cream. I kid you not, it is the best dessert I have ever eaten. I literally bounce in my seat the entire meal waiting for dessert to assail the table.

This perfectly yeasty sweet bread is somewhere between a yeast roll and a biscuit. Coconut and pineapple are enveloped in the bread entirely, and become a fantastic surprise to bite into.

I’m normally quite intimidated by yeast breads, but I promise you this one is really simple. Go grab a pineapple and some coconut, and let’s get to baking some bread!

SMITH BITES May 18, 2011 at 10:30 PM

ohmuhgawdie . . . this is FABU!!! i will be making this very, very soon!!!

Amber May 19, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Can’t wait to hear about it, Deb. I think you’re going to love it.

Dana May 19, 2011 at 1:53 AM

This bread looks amazing, really wish I could give it a go. However, for some inexplicable reason, crushed pineapple has completely disappeared from grocery shelves here in Ireland. No one seems to know why, but grocers can’t source it anywhere. Strange, isn’t it?

Amber May 19, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Dana, that IS strange! Don’t worry about not being able to find crushed pineapple in the can. Simply use fresh pineapple and crush it with a potato masher. That’s what I did, and it turned out fine!

Dana May 26, 2011 at 6:47 AM

Thanks for that, Amber! I certainly will ^_^

Kristen May 19, 2011 at 8:39 AM

It’s settled: I’m making Ohana bread this weekend. A horde of angry wildebeest couldn’t keep me away from this recipe.

Amber May 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Haha, Kristen! You crack me up. Let me know how it goes, and if you need any help. :)

Wenderly May 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM

That looks like a smile-after-first-bite kind of treat!

Just yum!

Amber May 19, 2011 at 1:50 PM

For sure, Wendy, for sure! Your girls would *love* it for Sunday morning breakfast. So would Yanni!

Delishhh May 19, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Pineapple and coconut in bread – YUM – my type of bread.

Amber May 19, 2011 at 1:50 PM

It’s such a fun and unexpected treat!

JenniferA May 19, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Sounds delightful, any time of day. And I bet President Obama would like it too. ;-)

Amber May 19, 2011 at 1:50 PM

LOL, Jen. Probably!

Jen Schall May 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM

This sounds quite yummy! I need to pick up some coconut and pineapple so I can give it a try :)

Amber May 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM

For sure, Jen. I’ve started keeping coconut on hand at all time, I love adding it to cookies and bars and cupcakes of any kind. As for the pineapple, I bought a whole one for the hummingbird cake, and then needed to use the rest of it *somehow*. I can only eat so much of it au natural, you know?

Sylvie@GITK May 20, 2011 at 5:41 AM

I’ve never heard of this bread before, clearly I’ve been missing out!

Amber May 20, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Sylvie, you MUST make it!

Cookbook Queen May 22, 2011 at 7:27 PM

This is fabulous!! Definitely checking out that restaurant next time I’m at Disney.

Tracy May 24, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Oh my God, I can’t believe I missed this!! I will be making this for sure. And eating it. All of it. Probably with nutella. ;-)

Dana June 9, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Have this on the rise as we speak — fresh pineapple squidged with a potato masher, how did I not think of that?! Who wants to eat tinned fruit when you can have fresh anyway? ;-)
Thanks again for posting this — can’t wait to try it!

Dana June 9, 2011 at 6:37 AM

Have this on the rise — used fresh pineapple squidged with a potato masher, how did I never think of that myself?! :-)
Can’t wait to try this…thanks again for posting

Amber June 9, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Dana, I can’t wait to hear about it! Come back and tell me how it went.

colleen July 7, 2011 at 7:14 PM

this looks so good!

Felice July 7, 2011 at 10:35 PM

I love Lilo and Stitch too, and I actually watched it recently whilst on a long plane strip. I am on an island in the Pacific so I am glad to have found this bread.

Ashley August 16, 2011 at 10:51 AM

OH you just brought a flashback of flavor memories for me!! Now I’m CRAVING this delicious and delectable treat, having enjoyed it back in my Disney days. Thanks for sharing!!

Susan March 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM

The assembly of the dough in the pan is very confusing. What do you mean cut squares into the dough. Will the finished product fill the 9×13 pan? Does it cook as a whole loaf? I’m lost. Would like to make it as it sounds yummy, but too confusing.

Amber March 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Susan – thanks for your question. After the dough is in the pan, you slice through it using a dough or pizza cutter. The reason for this is that after it bakes, it will provide “portions” that are easily broken off into even serving slices. The bread will come back together during the baking process, but cutting it beforehand allows for a “scoring” to appear once it’s baked. This is how I got the individual squares you see in the photo above. It’s a lot like the yeast rolls that bake all together for Thanksgiving – they’re scored in their raw form and then when baked, it’s easier to break them apart and still have even portions.

Susan March 10, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Thanks Amber, I’m more of a visual learner so thanks for the explanation. I will definitely be adding this item to my Easter Brunch! Love your blog!