Apr

Scharffen Berger Chocolate Chunk Bagels

Post image for Scharffen Berger Chocolate Chunk Bagels

by Amber on April 3, 2011

The call to arms went out from @Scharffenberger via Twitter: @SeriousEats had just posted a homemade bagel recipe to their website, SeriousEats.com. Who would be willing to try making chocolate chunk bagels using Scharffen Berger’s baking chunks?

My hand (and @ reply) went up faster than you can say gourmet chocolate. I was first introduced to Scharffen Berger at BlogHer Food in October of last year. Before that, I wasn’t aware it existed. My life has improved markedly since that sunny day in San Francisco, if you hadn’t guessed. Good chocolate can certainly be attributed to some of that. Scharffen Berger chocolate is beautiful, perfect, pure. It’s my favorite chocolate to bake with, and its quality is worth every stinkin’ penny.

I read through the Serious Eats post several times. I was nervous. I’m a Texan. What do I know about making bagels? Until I moved to the East Coast, I’d only ever eaten bagels from the grocery store. It didn’t even occur to me I could make them at home.

People: stop what you’re doing. Listen to me now. Not only can you make bagels at home, but it is easy.

Chocolate Chunk Bagels

The dough comes together in minutes. After it’s risen, simply make yourself an assembly line for the boiling process. Then it’s a toss in the oven to finish. Minus the rising time, it takes 45 minutes to make bagels, from start to finish.

Imagine biting into a freshly baked, freshly toasted chocolate chunk bagel slathered in cream cheese or KerryGold Irish Butter next Sunday morning. It can be your reality. Really.

Annie April 3, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Amazing! I will definitely be trying these. xoxo.

Amber April 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Annie, they are SO good! You will love them.

Tickled Red April 3, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Holy cow, those are awesome!! I am rising to the challenge girl.

Amber April 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM

DO it, Red! The monkeys will be over the moon. Imagine smothering them in nutella and a bit of sliced banana on top!

Shaina April 3, 2011 at 2:44 PM

These turned out beautifully, Amber! Love them.

Amber April 3, 2011 at 11:14 PM

It was hard not to feel a sense of pride about these, Shaina. They’re so freaking pretty, and I can’t believe I made them!

DessertForTwo April 3, 2011 at 3:09 PM

How fun! I saw you @reply on twitter but I never expected a recipe so soon! You got to work fast!! :)

Amber April 3, 2011 at 11:15 PM

This is what happens when the husband is out of town for five days, Christina! I spend the entire time baking and making stuff for the blog. You should see my scheduled post queue right now. ;)

Bonnie Banters April 3, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Wow! I’m completely impressed! I consider myself a good baker who will take on challenges…and I took on making bagels years ago, supposedly with all the professional ingredients…I was disappointed and have not attempted since.

Your tutorial is fabulous…it’s the special hints that one takes time to give to which cooks should really pay attention. I try to give a little extra advice from my experiences on my posts…and I worry that I might be giving too much. After reading your wonderful post and some other really good tutorials, I think I’m going to stop worrying about this.

I wonder how the barley malt syrup helps the recipe…I can’t remember if the recipe I used called for this.

My friend at Eating Bangkok will really appreciate this recipe, as he posted a great article on the history of bagels not long ago…and he mentioned that he would miss his bagels when he moved to Bangkok. That move will be coming up within the next couple of months. I challenged him to learn to bake bagels before he went, and he accepted the challenge.
I will retweet your wonderful post to him. Thanks!

Amber April 3, 2011 at 11:17 PM

Bonnie, thank you so much for your lovely and thoughtful comment. You know, I keep hearing that. I really can’t take credit for how simple the recipe is – I simply finagled with the recipe posted on Serious Eats. But I have to say, while I consider myself a good baker, I’ve had my share of failures too. I was really scared that these were going to turn out like rocks or something. But they are perfectly chewy, perfectly chocolatey. Thanks for sharing my post with your friend. He can definitely make these when he moves!

Nancy @TSP April 3, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Oh. My. Goodness. These look stellar, Amber. I had no idea the barley malt syrup was for the water. Love this recipe.

Amber April 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Wanna hear a confession, Nancy? I didn’t realize it either until after I’d procured it and re-read the recipe. But you know, I’m glad I went to the trouble. These are really fantastic!

Sylvie@GITK April 3, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Those bagels plus some good butter, heaven!

Amber April 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Seriously, Sylvie. You’ve gotta try them. I’d love to see what *your* photos look like. You do such beautiful things with chocolate in your photos.

Cookbook Queen April 3, 2011 at 7:31 PM

YUM!!

I have a good friend who went to culinary school and after a lot of nagging, she had me over to teach me to make bagels.

It WAS easy!! And they were so yummy too!! Adding chocolate sounds like the perfect touch.

Amber April 3, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Kristan, what were we scared of?! And how come this is such a big secret?? Everyone should be making their own bagels!

Tracy April 3, 2011 at 9:52 PM

These sound AMAZING – I have never made bagels with chocolate chunks before and now I totally need to try it. And, these bagels sound so easy! I’ll have to give this recipe a try and compare it to the ones I usually make. You know, for research purposes. ;-)

Amber April 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Oh yes, Tracy. Purely scientific research. You must do it. You’re going to love them.

Melissa April 4, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I’ve thought about making homemade bagels several times. The more I read, the more I’m convinced to do it!

Amber April 4, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Melissa, you just *must*. It really is easy. I’m going to try cinnamon raisin next.

Brenda April 4, 2011 at 5:46 PM

These turned out so beautifully, Amber! Amazing job!!!

Amber April 4, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Thanks so much, Brenda! I’m super chuffed at how they turned out.

Robyn | Add a Pinch April 4, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I have some of those chunks in my pantry. Guess what I wanna make with them now? :)

Amber April 7, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Robyn, you will not be disappointed!

Damaris @Kitchen Cor April 5, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I just stumbled upon your blog and I’m so glad I did. I’ve never made homemade bagels before and now I’m inspired, specially because of the chocolate part.

Amber April 7, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Damaris, thank you for your lovely comment! Everyone must try making their own bagels, chocolate or not. I was so shocked at how easy it is.

Lynn April 6, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Beautiful bagels! And, yes, I agree. Using a good quality chocolate makes such a difference.

Amber April 7, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Thanks, Lynn! Good chocolate makes life worth living.

Jen Schall April 7, 2011 at 1:51 PM

These look just spectacular! Glad they turned out well for you… I’m feeling inspired to make some bagels now!

Amber April 7, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Thanks, Jen! I really hope you do. It’s actually kinda fun to do!

Allison @ Alli n Son April 8, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I’ve never made bagels before, but now I’m tempted. I’ll try just about anything with chocolate in it!

I’d love to have you share this recipe on my weekly link up, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/04/07/jelly-bean-cookies/

Gabby December 7, 2011 at 11:39 PM

These are amazing bagels! I have made bagels using other recipes before and I have to say this recipe is the absolute best! I have to run to four different groceries in order to find the malt syrup though. I have a question….would this recipe also be suitable for making cinnamon raisin bagels? So instead of chocolate chunks, I would guess adding cinnamon, raisin, and a bit of malt syrup into the dough instead?

Amber December 8, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Gabby, thank you so much! This recipe should work just fine for cinnamon raisin. Mix the cinnamon into the flour mixture, and the raisins in place of the chocolate chunks. I had the same problem finding barley malt syrup locally, so now I just get it from King Arthur Flour online. Remember that the syrup is meant to flavor the water you boil the bagels in, so don’t add it to the dough. I’d love to hear how they turn out!