Feb

Spiced Apple & Pear Butter

Spiced Apple & Pear Butter

by Amber on February 22, 2011

Spiced Apple and Pear butter is kind of becoming my canning specialty. Fruit butters are great for canning because there’s no messing around with any jelling agents or pressure canning. Just straightforward fruit, sugar, spices, and a water bath canner.

Typically, I cook up a batch of this in the slow cooker over a few days and then can it in 4 or 8 oz jars. This time I canned it in pint jars because that’s what I had handy. The butter can be spread on toast, or used in recipes that call for jam, like these chocolate chip jam bars by my friend Tracy.

Keeping little 4 or 8 oz jars of this around makes for a quick and easy grab as you head out to dinner parties or as something a little extra to throw into a gift bag. I usually put a pretty label and a little satin ribbon on my jars as I move to store them, and then it really is as simple as grabbing them out of the cupboard as I walk out the door to a party.

What’s your favorite thing to can?

Katie GoodLifeEats February 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I have made pear butter before and it was so good. I bet the apple pear combo is awesome!

Cookbook Queen February 22, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Apple butter is one of my most favorite things!!!! I have never had it homemade…I bet this is so good!!

Annie February 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Oh nom nom nom…. :)

Jen Schall February 22, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Yum! I love canning… Just yesterday I was thinking about how I need to start using up everything I canned last summer so that I can start canning again when warmer weather arrives.

I will definitely bookmark this one… Looks perfect for gifts!

Sean February 22, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I’m the founder/moderator for Punk Domestics (www.punkdomestics.com), a community site for those of use obsessed with, er, interested in DIY food. It’s sort of like Tastespotting, but specific to the niche. I’d love for you to submit this to the site. Good stuff!

Brenda February 22, 2011 at 1:59 PM

This looks delicious! I need to get back into canning, haven’t done it in probably 10 years. I used to be a salsa canning queen. Now I just beg a few jars off my mom. :)

Amanda February 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Love this!! LOVE a great homemade butter!

Jamie | MBA February 22, 2011 at 8:32 PM

You need to teach me how to can, but first, send me some of this butter! :)

Sylvie@GITK February 23, 2011 at 12:07 AM

I love how easy this is to make, makes me wish I had a slow cooker!

Wenderly February 23, 2011 at 7:53 AM

My Yanni adores apple butter! Can’t wait ti try this!

Tracy February 23, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Having been one of the lucky samplers of this butter, I can say for a fact that it is amazingly delicious! I’ve only ever made plain apple butter before, and now I don’t think I can go back!

Wendi @ BAH February 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM

What are the chances that both you and Tracy would have your canning posts up today? I doubt it will be long before we crack open the jar of your apple pear butter.

jacki February 24, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I so want to try this! I have a few questions, as this sort of thing is COMPLETELY new to me. What happens to the apple and pear seeds? And if the liquid is running low, should I add water, or more cider?

Amber | B&B February 24, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Hey Jacki,

The seeds and skin literally soften to the point that when you puree them, they become part of the overall butter, adding a lot of vitamins and fiber to the butter without compromising the taste or texture. Some of the seeds will even break down to the point of dissolving completely.

I guarantee you will not run out of liquid, but you can always add more cider if you feel the butter has gotten too thick for your liking. I’ve never run out of liquid, but I have had to add corn starch before because some of the apples I used were more juicy than I expected.

Let me know how it goes!

jacki February 24, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Thanks so much! I’m definitely going to give this a shot. The first (and last) thing I ever canned was turkey broth that I made after this past Thanksgiving. I’m not even sure if it worked, because I got scared and stored the jars in my fridge. Then I used them within 2 months. This will be my second attempt at canning, and hopefully I’ll feel more confident. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

jacki February 24, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Also, how much did you get from this recipe? Wondering how many jars I should have prepped.

Amber February 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Jacki, I can’t believe I forgot to put that in the post, I totally meant to! I got 3 pint jars (16 oz each) out of this recipe, so 48 oz total.

Robyn | Add a Pinch February 24, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Amanda, I could just jump right through the screen and take a big bite of that toast! It looks absolutely delicious!

naomi February 25, 2011 at 2:24 AM

I haven’t made anything like this before, but I’m so going to give this a go! It sounds delicious!

blackbookkitchendiar February 25, 2011 at 8:22 AM

this looks so lovely! and i love how easy it is to make it in my slow cooker. thanks for sharing this.

Kristen February 25, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I bet this is a fantastic flavor combination. Delicious, Amber!

Aimee G September 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Any thoughts on how much water to substitute for apple cider?

Amber September 29, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Aimee, I would not replace apple cider in this recipe. The butter would not taste right, nor would there be an appropriate amount of natural sugar and pectin in the recipe to create a “fruit butter”. Thanks for stopping by!

Susan October 14, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I want to make a huge batch of this. I just bought a lug of apples. Can this recipe be doubled even Tripled or more?

Amber August 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Susan, for some reason I only just came across this question. Yes, you can easily double or triple this recipe. I’m sorry it took me so long to respond!