Jan

Bean, Bacon & Ham Soup

Bean, Bacon & Ham Soup

by Amber on January 5, 2011

One of the best things about winter eating is soup, and one of the best things about winter eating in my kitchen is Bean, Bacon and Ham soup. I don’t know about you, but I always want Ham when it comes to holidays. But even when I buy the smallest spiral ham I can find, James and I are left with days and days of leftovers.

There’s only so many ham sandwiches a girl can eat. Even when they’ve got stone ground mustard and crisp lettuce, and super wonderful KerryGold Dubliner cheese on them. So the perfect use for all those leftovers, including the ham bone is a no-brainer. It’s soup every time.

When I was a kid, my dad used to come home to eat lunch every day. During the summers, we’d always eat Campbell’s Bean with Bacon soup and a sandwich. The sandwich always varied, but the soup never did. We both adored it.

I’ve come as close here to that commercial version as I think I can. But I promise, there’s not nearly as much salt, nor are there any chemical preservatives. Just good, honest soup that is easily frozen in zip loc bags for future meals. It’s comfort in a bowl, and if I do say so myself, mmm mmm good.

Amanda January 5, 2011 at 8:49 AM

This sounds like heaven to the taste buds… great recipe!

SMITH BITES January 5, 2011 at 8:56 AM

a good ham, bean & bacon soup recipe is a must in my kitchen because we always make it several times throughout the winter. and i do believe that ham & bean soup from the can was one of my dad’s favorites too! great photo Amber!

DessertForTwo January 5, 2011 at 9:35 AM

This sounds so delicious! I might have to add this to my menu for next week!

Your photo is gorgeous too-I love the writing on it :)

Shaina January 5, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Perfect for leftover ham. Love it, Amber, and I’m completely appreciating that your blog is snowing today.

bridget {bake at 350 January 5, 2011 at 10:31 AM

that looks absolutely fabulous!

JenniferA January 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Nice! I usually do split pea soup with my leftover ham bone but this would be a nice variation next time!

Wenderly January 5, 2011 at 11:03 AM

YUMMY! Except you’re evil…I am now drooling and my stomach is growling.

Tracy January 5, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Mmm, I don’t even like ham that much and I’ve got to get me some of this soup!

Jen Schall January 5, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Yum! This soup looks comforting and delish… I would love to have a bowl right now!

Nancy January 6, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Looks amazing, Amber. I love soup and this is one I bet the boys would really enjoy. It’s on my list!

naomi January 6, 2011 at 12:30 PM

This is one of my favorite soups. I love the recipe and fantastic photo!

Cookbook Queen January 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Oh, this looks amazing…I love me some soup!!

And bacon.

And beans.

You see why I need this soup in my life.

Kristen January 6, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I made a ham soup this past week and totally should have added beans. What a delicious recipe (and photo!)

CMom January 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM

My soup is cooking in the crock pot! I couldn’t find a ham bone, so I added a pieced of sliced salted pork instead. I hope this works out (fingers crossed)! Thanks for posting!

Jamie | MBA January 8, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Nice! I happened to make my mama’s recipe for bean and ham soup tonight for dinner. It’s in the slow cooker as I type!

Michele Holmes January 9, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I made this tonight and it is fantastic!

Sarah January 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Hello Amber! I’ve been enjoying your blog for a while and have linked to your recipes in the past. I was curious, have you ever participated in a blog hop? We’d love it if you came and checked ours out on Friday, the theme is Favorite Soups, this one above is great! Anyway, it’s a great way to get some
link love.

Hope to see you there, take care,

Sarah
Editor
RecipeLion.com
blog.recipelion.com

Rossella January 31, 2011 at 8:10 AM

You couldn’t describe better your soup “..Just good, honest soup ..”. The list of ingredients is very rich. It’s pretty similar to my grandmother traditional soup even if thyme in her version was missing. I take note your recipe to do it asap.

The Lucky Wife February 17, 2011 at 3:16 PM

This sounds so good. My son loves beans so we’re always looking for new bean recipes!

I’d like to invite you to participate in Foodie Friday, to become a Monday event after tomorrow. Thanks again for the soup recipe, and I love your blog name… super cute. :)

http://naturalgreencoffeeblog.com July 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be
really something that I think I would never understand.
It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to
get the hang of it!