Dec

Dark Chocolate Candy Cane Cookie Bites

Dark Chocolate Candy Cane Cookie Bites

by Amber on December 13, 2010

Photo taken by Maggy Keet from ThreeManyCooks.com
I’m sorry, but are Candy Cane Kisses pretty much the bomb diggity of Christmas candy, or what? Look at the center of that cookie bite. Just look at it! An entire kiss, wrapped in dark chocolatey cookie goodness, people.

I pretty much buy Candy Cane Kisses in bulk when they show up at Target. White chocolate and peppermint? I’m so there. Luckily, so is my bestie, Maggy.

She came over last week for a bit of baking and a girls’ night in finished with gin and tonics in the hot tub. (Be very jealous.) We had the best time baking up a storm. Nearly a metric ton of shortbread in different flavors, we made.

I had the economy size of the kisses bag sitting in my freezer. I knew I wanted to do something similar to these Rolo cookies with them, but couldn’t decide what.

This is where good friends who are also good bakers come in *very* handy. Maggy helped me figure out the method, and the dark chocolate cookie dough came from my friend Annie’s blog, With Sprinkles On Top. I used that same dough last year to make cookies with Andes peppermint baking chips, so I knew it lent itself very well to the peppermint application.

These may take a little extra planning, because they require you to freeze the Kisses and freeze the dough for a while, but they are OH so worth the extra effort.

Maggy and I spending a day baking together is something we both dreamed about when she lived in England and I here. We were cooking buddies over the phone for the longest time, and we’d cook together whenever either of us was visiting the other, but just to say, a the drop of a hat, “Hey, come over here and let’s bake!” – well people, that’s a luxury we didn’t have for the first 2 years of our friendship.

When I look back on Christmas 2010, that day of baking together is going to be one of my favorite moments. Having a friend who understands your darkest moments, who bolsters you up when you’re down, and who will come stay at your house and make you drinks and dinner when your husband is out of town? It’s pretty much the best thing ever.

Come join the fun at the My Baking Addiction and GoodLife Eats Holiday Recipe Swap sponsored by OXO.

Cara December 13, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I love these candies too! In fact I’ve had them in a dish on my desk since November 1! Great recipe!

maggy@threemanycooks December 13, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Yes! What a fun day we had, Amber. Nothin’ like girl time complete with baking, G&T’s and your hot tub. I never thought we would get all that baking done, but we did! And I’m *still* enjoying shortbread from that day :D Hugs! xoxo

Sarkari Naukri December 13, 2010 at 10:14 AM

These look absolutely yummy. Timely too may I add as I’m looking for a choc cookie recipe. :)

Tracy December 13, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Mmm, these look incredible! I agree; there isn’t much better than a day of baking with your girlfriends…sounds like you two had a lot of fun! (And yes, I am very jealous of your hut tub). ;-)

Eliana December 13, 2010 at 2:35 PM

These look precious (as well as super delicious).

Kristen December 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I can’t lie: I’m drooling right now. Here’s to good food and great friends!

Sharon December 15, 2010 at 9:10 AM

as you well know, i am not in love with the chocolate/mint combo (mini pb cups or rolos would be a-mazing) but these are adorable. i am, however, in love with gin and tonics and hot tubs and great friends though :) i’m glad to share my sister with you, and glad you have each other.

xo
shaz

Cookbook Queen December 15, 2010 at 10:17 AM

THese look so great!! And I’m also jealous…can I be friends with ya’ll??

(please say yes please say yes)

Wenderly December 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM

What a delightful day! Wish I could have been in that kitchen…MUCH FUN to be had I’m quite certain! The result is just lovely and looks scrumptious! Nice work ladies!

Shaina December 15, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Oh my, delicious. I love this, Amber. Absolutely perfect.

Jen Schall December 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Oh, I love all things chocolate and peppermint! Love these!

Amanda December 15, 2010 at 3:36 PM

WOW~! These look absolutely amazing… I would love one right now! :)

SMITH BITES December 16, 2010 at 8:23 AM

such a cute idea Amber and quite festive!!! and i especially love that you and Maggy got to spend a day together baking – that is a wonderful gift!!!

Robyn | Add a Pinch December 16, 2010 at 8:47 AM

What a great evening y’all had! Hot tubs, gin, dinner, and baking — sounds perfect! And this recipe… oh my word! It looks just perfect!

Kristen December 16, 2010 at 10:04 AM

What a gorgeous photo and those look so delicious as well!

Lori @ RecipeGirl December 16, 2010 at 3:18 PM

I’m sure you’ve seen me gushing about these Kisses on Twitter. This is another great way to use them up!

Tara@SmellsLikeHome December 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM

first of all…these bites? ahhhmazing!! candy cane kisses + me = utter love. second…this post almost made me cry b/c of how much i miss my bff. we grew up in the same town but she now lives in VT and i long for the days of hanging out whenever we felt like it (ie every day). maybe someday we’ll live close enough again to drop by on a whim or bake our days away. great post, Amber!! :)

JenniferA December 16, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Oh, so much fun!! I’ve never even seen these kisses… I am deprived, apparently.

You described a pretty perfect day there, right down to the g&t’s at the end! I got together with two girlfriends in September to do some freezer cooking and we had a blast. (We drank after and during, hee hee!)

Michelle December 16, 2010 at 7:53 PM

What I would have given to be a fly on the wall in your kitchen that day! What fun ;-) xoxo

Melanie Schoenhut December 29, 2010 at 8:40 AM

These cookies are absolutely yummy. I like the combination of the dark chocolate and candies. This is the most perfect cookie I ever seen. Better try this one.

Nancy @TSP January 24, 2011 at 7:51 AM

How did I miss these? They look amazing, Amber. Yum.

Vanessa October 14, 2011 at 1:05 PM

So creative! Love it. Thanks for the inspiration. <3

Holly W November 22, 2011 at 12:29 AM

oh i love these candies! and what a great idea to put them inside a brownie ?! i think i need these in my life :)

Karyn January 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I am making these right now. So excited to eat them! Thanks for a great recipe!

Cody Bodnar January 29, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I adore these! I wish I could crochet, but for some reason I’ve only learned to knit. My husband’s grandmother has been trying to teach me, but I’m all thumbs! I wonder if I could get her to make one of these for the kids.