Oct

Sunday Suppers – Pulled Barbecue Chicken Sliders

Post image for Sunday Suppers – Pulled Barbecue Chicken Sliders

by Amber on October 24, 2010

Just the phrase Sunday suppers brings up a lot of memories for me. When I was a kid, we spent a lot of our time at my grandparents’. If you’ve read my blog before, you know how incredibly close to my Nanny and Gaga I was. We didn’t just spend Sundays there, during the summer we spent every day there. During those summer months, our entire family gathered around the dining table every lunchtime together. Not just my mom and dad, but my uncles, my aunt, and sometimes a friend or two as well.

Believe me, I know how lucky I was to have family meals like that every single day of my childhood. When we were with my Nanny, we helped her prepare lunch for everyone, whether it was sandwiches and soup (grilled cheese and tomato soup with Pepsi was always my Uncle Mark’s request) or S.O.S., which is one of Nanny’s. There almost always was fresh produce from her garden on the table, picked by us girls when we got out of the pool from our morning swim. Man, how I miss spending my entire day in my bathing suit, and going to bed at night sun-kissed and smelling of sunblock and chlorine.

Let me tell you something: Every single meal that I’ve made out of Pam Anderson’s Perfect One Dish Dinners has conjured up those same memories of lunchtimes spent at Nanny and Gaga’s. You see, it didn’t matter who was there at the lunch table with us. There was always enough food.

The electrician that came to repair something got there early? No problem – sit down to lunch, sir. Uncle Charlie decided to come in early from his ranch? No problem, here’s a plate. That’s how it always is with my nan. She’ll feed everybody that walks through her door. And she’s always the last one to sit down at the table, making sure everyone else is fed and watered before she can enjoy her own food. Because she simply can’t enjoy her food unless she knows everyone else is.

It’s that kind of hospitality that has me reaching for Pam’s book over and over again. I wrote about it when I shared the shells and cheese recipe back in September. I didn’t know what to make to please the particular crowd I had in front of me, but Pam sure did. These pulled barbecue chicken sliders go along with that mac and cheese. And using a rotisserie chicken gets the job done in half the time, and tastes like homemade.

Sunday suppers, people. It’s a tradition that never ought to go out of style. And it’s one that’s easy to start up again if you have this book in your arsenal. It’s not on the New York Times Best Seller list for nothin’.

Perfect One-Dish Dinners are making the rounds all over. Check it out!

DadCooksDinner.com
SugarCrafter.net
GoodLifeEats.com
RookieMoms.com
CeliacsInTheHouse
SteamyKitchen

maggy@threemanycooks October 25, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I love this post. I love the way you describe your nanny. My granny is the same – she wants to feed you and feed you until you haven’t got space for ANYTHING more. But it’s not just about food, it’s about love and caring and opening your home.

Love the line: “Sunday suppers, people. It’s a tradition that never ought to go out of style.” I hope I can keep it going on my family some day! For now, I’ll keep it going for me and Andy.

Maria October 25, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Sunday dinners have always been special to me. Great post and recipe!

Lori @ RecipeGirl October 25, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Love you take on Sunday Suppers. It’s reminding me that I really need to start doing that for my own family. We’re lucky if we all eat together in the 1st place. Sundays should be saved for that for sure!!

Wendi@BonAppetitHon October 25, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Amber, I can picture myself at your Granmother’s table and feel the love. How wonderful would it be if the next big “thing” in the food world is a return to family meals?

Kristen October 25, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Oh Amber, what a special gift you had growing up. I want that kind of life… does it still exist?

Nancy October 25, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Amber – I know I would have loved having lunch with you, your Nan and everyone who was welcomed to their house for a good meal. What a wonderful memory. Thanks for sharing it….and the chicken sliders. Wishing I had some for today’s lunch!

Michelle October 25, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I love this story – it’s the kind of home that I always wanted to have, myself…to make people feel welcomed and loved with food! These recipes are on my list too! xo

naomi October 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Your Sunday dinner looks great. I love the sliders! I completely agree, it never goes out of style.

Melissa October 25, 2010 at 2:23 PM

What a beautiful post! I try really hard to make dinner time a special time in our house, but sometimes life gets in the way and we get off track! Thank you for the reminder of how important it is, especially when it comes to Sunday dinner. :)

Shaina October 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM

We love barbecue sandwiches for dinner! So quick and easy, but still completely satisfying. I adore the story of your Nan, too, Amber. My grandma was always the last one to sit when serving the family, too.

RookieMom Heather October 25, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I think I will substitute sauerkraut for the pickles and put this at the top of my list for next Sunday’s Supper. Thanks for sharing.

Katie | GoodLife Eat October 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I would have loved one of these for lunch today. They look so yummy and easy. I love Stubb’s BBQ sauce too!

Jennifer (Savor) October 25, 2010 at 6:48 PM

My hubby would go nuts for this one- he is a BBQ fantatic

Amy October 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Your Nanny sounds like my Nanny. Wonder if they were sisters? ;)

Yummy looking sliders! Can’t wait to try them with the shells and cheese.

Tracy October 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM

We never really did Sunday Suppers growing up, but I sure would love to start that tradition with my own family some day. Good thing I have Pam’s book to help me start preparing now! ;-)

Paula -bell'alimento October 25, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Family Dinners are SO important!I love this book. You’re right, It’s not on the NYT Best Seller List for nothin’ ; )

Tickled Red October 25, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I love those trips down memory lane as well. Thanks so much for sharing your Nanny. By the way my dad is going to do flips over those sliders. I promised to let him borrow Pam’s cook book :)

SouffleBombay October 26, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories…they sound perfect! As do the chicken sliders and mac and cheese! (Do you hear my tummy rumbling!!) I echo you in saying the book is a great fit for busy days…allowing folks to still have wonderful meals!

Gudrun October 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Sliders, that is a family favorite in our house. Trader Joes was selling the cutest little slider buns this summer, I wonder if they still have them around?

Miss November 8, 2010 at 8:27 PM

This sounds like the perfect meal. I have always been a big fan of Sunday suppers. I also love that you call it supper!