Oct

Apple Rhubarb Chutney

Post image for Apple Rhubarb Chutney

by Amber on October 20, 2010

Holy Apple Rhubarb Chutney, Batman!

Last weekend, some of our dearest friends came over to help us christen our new hot tub. We had a fabulous dinner, followed by pink champagne that had been hanging out in our fridge for a celebratory occasion for over two years. It’s not that we hadn’t wanted to drink that champagne – we just knew we wanted a monumental occasion to enjoy it.

Finally having our dream kitchen finished, and having enough left over in the budget to purchase the hot tub were definitely monumental. Not to mention a testament to my hella good planning and budgeting!

James and I fully recognize how lucky we are, in this economy, to be in the position to have done both of these things this year. And that, in itself, was another reason to celebrate.

One thing that I’m committed to, for us, is to eat the best quality food wherever possible. With only two of us, it’s not always easy to make the most of the food we buy. Cooking for two is really difficult sometimes! But using the most of the more expensive food we buy is one way that we’re able to save money in the long run.

I hate to waste food. And I hate even more to waste money. Money that can go towards things like hot tubs, and visiting Disney World for the 918349340th time. That’s why, a few years ago, I became much better at food preservation. Both through freezing and through canning.

The day after our hot tub christening, the boys headed off to Six Flags Great Adventure in Southern New Jersey. Maggy and I, we headed instead for a girls’ day out, apple and pumpkin picking in Gillette, NJ.

Last Saturday was the kind of day you picture when you think of Fall – crisp, and clear, and with a cool wind. Mags and I could have done without the wind, as they were at about 60 mph at some points, but it really was a beautiful day to be wandering through apple orchards, having just drunk a cupful of fresh-pressed hot apple cider.

We got all sorts of apples: Empire, Fuji, and new-to-us, Suncrisps. They are a hybrid between Honey Crisp and Granny Smith apples. Golden leaning towards green in color, and the taste of them is absolutely exquisite. They’re light and firm, with a sweet taste and just the right acidity.

I fell hard for ALL the apples from Hillview Farms.. so hard that I came home from their farm with nearly 15 lbs. of apples. Tell me people, what on earth am I going to do with 15 lbs. of apples?

Well, the first thing I did was take to my Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. I know what you’re thinking: Applesauce. It’s the obvious choice.

Here’s the thing: James and I are not really applesauce people. We have very different definitions of apple sauce, so we avoid it all together, because one of us just can’t eat an entire jar of it, or even six pack of applesauce pots. I didn’t have any SureJel on hand, so any recipe calling for that was out too. (It was cold last Sunday, I was not about to leave my house!)

That’s when I turned the page to the recipe for Apple Rhubarb Chutney. Guess who happened to flash freeze a boatload of rhubarb when it was in season? Smarty me, that’s who. Hooray for chutney! The book says that this chutney pairs well with any sharp nutty cheese, or as a topping for pork. Cheese? Pork? I’m in.

Believe it or not, the Apple Rhubab chutney came together fairly quickly, and didn’t require a lot of baby-sitting. I let it go on the stove for quite some time until I got it to the texture I wanted. I used every variety of apple we picked, so it’s got some sweetness and some tartness.

And it’s great with KerryGold Dubliner cheese, which I just happened to have a smidge of, thanks to the coupons they gave out at the BlogHer Food Conference. Hooray for Irish cheese!

I enjoyed the chutney with some fresh baguette from our local bakery, the KerryGold Dubliner, and a crisp glass of white wine. To me, there’s no finer meal on a lazy Monday, especially a lazy Fall Monday.

So tell me – what AM I going to do with all these apples? I can’t very well bake 4 or 5 pies, can I? Or can I…

Jamie | MBA October 20, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I too hate to waste money…you definitely need to teach me how to can! I totally think you can make 5 apple pies…easy! This chutney looks and sounds delish!

Wenderly October 20, 2010 at 8:04 PM

What a charming post! Felt like I was right there picking apples with you & Mags! This looks *delicious* and the photo is gorgeous!

Michelle October 20, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Oh my goodness, that sounds delicious! I bought that book this weekend before my maiden tomato canning voyage – what an adventure! I know that while it took eons to do, I’ll appreciate it in the dead of winter. Now go for a soak, lady!

Kristen October 20, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I am so impressed with you and your canning, Amber. This chutney looks yummy!

Nancy October 21, 2010 at 7:27 AM

Mmmmmm. The chutney is beautiful. And, I bet it’s just delicioso!

Wendi@BonAppetitHon October 21, 2010 at 8:37 AM

I’m going apple picking this weekend AND I happen to have a couple of bags of rhubarb in the freezer from this summer. Guess what I’m making on Sunday? Thanks for the inspiration.

SMITH BITES October 21, 2010 at 9:00 AM

I love to can and preserve as much as possible – have done it for years, much more back in the day, but still enjoy the process today. I DO think cooking for 2 is more difficult than cooking for a crowd!! Haven’t made chutney before but am dying to try this one – and the photo is GORGEOUS!

Tracy October 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Oh Amber, this chutney looks incredible! I think I may have some frozen rhubarb stashed away in the freezer, so I’ll have to see if I can make this. I’m totally addicted to canning now and am always looking for new recipes to try!

Maria October 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I love this recipe! We have four rhubarb plants, I am bookmarking it for sure!

Baking Serendipity October 21, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I love good budgeting…especially when hot tubs are the result :) This chutney looks delicious!

naomi October 22, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I love this recipe you can use it for sweet or savory. I’m thinking this might be really good with a pork chop recipe I have. I can’t wait to try it.

Tickled Red October 23, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Oh what fun!! Not to mention yummy post. Sending you girls hugs :)

Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon October 24, 2010 at 6:31 PM

I went in a slightly different direction and ended up with something that was very jammy/relishy. Hoping we don’t gobble it all up before Thanksgiving because it would be fantastic on biscuits.

Pretty. Good. Food. November 5, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Yum, sounds delicious!!!

Beth December 5, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Made the chutney for Thanksgiving and it was a real hit. Discovered that it is fabulous on a turkey sandwich or mixed with a bit of mayo on a pork tenderloin sandwich. Because I wasn’t smart enough to freeze rhubarb that I just had to order 5lbs. Because I can’t find it anywhere in town :-(. I am making more for Hanukkak to go with the brisket my step-daughter is fixing. Thanks for sharing.

Amber December 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Beth, I’m so glad you enjoyed the chutney! It sounds fabulous on a savory sandwich. I really appreciate you taking the time to come back and tell me you liked the recipe.